Cyclone Carrying Capacity

readytohitheroad

As I look to compare toy haulers one very important characteristic for us is the carrying capacity of the TH. We have two Harley cruisers that will weigh a combined 2,000 lbs (+/_). Plus the rest of our "stuff". The Heartland website that lists TH specs leaves the carrying capacity blank. Why would they do this? It makes it impossible to compare to other brands, which by the way, post this information for their TH's on their websites. Just curious?

readytohitheroad

Thanks Jim. The 2500/3000 lb rated carrying capacity is very lo when compared to other manufacturers and for us would appear to be a deal breaker. I wonder if I am missing something? By the time I put our two harleys in the back I would have to virtually leave the rest of the cyclone empty! By comparison the Forest River XLR models have carrying capacities of between 3500-6600 lbs. Would seem that if one desires to have a toy hauler one needs the ability to haul stuff in it. Come to think of it the 110 gallons of fresh water would be 880 lbs just by itself. Does this mean that the Forest River model is built beefier than a Cyclone?

dbear

As both lines use 3 6000# axles giving 18k gvwr, it may be the case where the XLR uses lighter (arguably potentially "cheaper"?) materials, or possibly fewer amenities, in its construction. I have not seen either lines, as of yet, so keep in mind my comments are purely speculative.

CrazyCooter

That 2500/3000 rating is for the garage floor only. You need unloaded but optioned empty and max GVW weights. Subtract the two and you have CCC.

There are a few Cyclones that would be at max with your bikes, full water, and living supplies.

porthole

Retired
Looks like both the XLR's and Cyclones have 18K GVW's.
Almost 2000 pounds less empty weight on the XLR.

Some of it may be options and the rest - lighter weight constructions.

porthole

Retired
Thanks to all for your comments. Anyone out there hauling two Harleys in a TH? If so how are you managing your load limits?

One dresser and one electric golf cart most of the time. The cart is about the same weight as a dresser, 800+

Almost impossible to put two dressers, 100+ gallons of water (those 3 are 2400 pounds alone) and supplies as well as all the other camping paraphernalia we put in these boxes, and still be under the limits.
Unless you get one of the trailers that add the pin weight to the GVWR.

scottyb

I haul around 2K in the garage (Kawasaki Mule 4 seater and a 4 burner Weber), which has a max of 3K. I went across the scales full of water and the axles weighed 17K, with a max 3 x 6K. The truck weighed 13400 and has a GVWR of 14K. I was below weight on everything. :rolleyes:

readytohitheroad

This is really putting me in a bind. I was hoping to stay with a TH of less than 40 ' as we primarily boondock. If I do that it would appear it will limit our carrying capacity to such a degree that we would not be able to haul what we had planned on hauling.

scottyb

This is true. When you think about it, you are taking a mid sized 5th wheel trailer 28' - 32', and adding a 10' - 12' garage on to the end of it. It's hard to stay below 40' w/o giving up something.

oscar

Yes, the numbers are very, very tight. And the news gets worse…. Options come out of your CCC. Electric beds, extra air, three season package and on and on. The ONLY way to accurately asses is to 1: Look at the yellow sticker on a particular unit, and then 2: Put it on a scale to verify the numbers to be correct. You will find that your bikes will put you close to the edge, and with a moderate complement of options and a normal load of stuff and fluids you will most likely be over.

truknutt

Committed Member
As I look to compare toy haulers one very important characteristic for us is the carrying capacity of the TH. We have two Harley cruisers that will weigh a combined 2,000 lbs (+/_). Plus the rest of our "stuff". The Heartland website that lists TH specs leaves the carrying capacity blank. Why would they do this? It makes it impossible to compare to other brands, which by the way, post this information for their TH's on their websites. Just curious?

Actually they are being honest. As CrazyCooter stated in his response, The carrying capacity is a result of how YOU spec your Cyclone. YOU have to do some math is all. GVWR minus the dry weight or UVW (includes your options as tyhe rig leaves the factory equals your carrying capacity(CCW). Out of this CCW you have your Harleys, your liquids, your food, your clothing, etc...Each rig will end up with different numbers depending upon how it's spec'd and loaded by the owner.

oscar

Actually they are being honest. As CrazyCooter stated in his response, The carrying capacity is a result of how YOU spec your Cyclone. YOU have to do some math is all. GVWR minus the dry weight or UVW (includes your options as tyhe rig leaves the factory equals your carrying capacity(CCW). Out of this CCW you have your Harleys, your liquids, your food, your clothing, etc...Each rig will end up with different numbers depending upon how it's spec'd and loaded by the owner.

Yes, but if you put two Harley's in the back you may have to choose between them and AC, water, or food and clothing. REALISTICALLY speaking, if you load up the trailer for what most would consider a normal trip, i.e. propane, some water, food and personal effects there is more often than not NO substantial CCC left in the garage.

readytohitheroad

Thanks for the input folks. Oscar's comment really hits home for us. Think we need to go back to the drawing board on this as even the biggest TH's do not have enough CCC given what we are planning on doing.

jimtoo

Seems a little funny that there are hundreds of the Cyclones out on the road hauling 2 bikes, Harleys or Hondas, a couple even carry a Smart car... They are not complaining about problems all the time from being overloaded. You just need to have the right truck to handle the load.

stsmark

Another funny twist, my 2812 has 4540 lbs of CCC and I haul a 21 lb. wheelchair and a 42 lb. magnesium framed handcycle.

remoandiris

Seems a little funny that there are hundreds of the Cyclones out on the road hauling 2 bikes, Harleys or Hondas, a couple even carry a Smart car... They are not complaining about problems all the time from being overloaded. You just need to have the right truck to handle the load.

+1. Never hear any complaints from my friends with Cyclones (or strangers for that matter) when they haul their bikes.

scottyb

Yes, but if you put two Harley's in the back you may have to choose between them and AC, water, or food and clothing. REALISTICALLY speaking, if you load up the trailer for what most would consider a normal trip, i.e. propane, some water, food and personal effects there is more often than not NO substantial CCC left in the garage.

It really depends on how you look at it. The 3 axle trailers have 18K in axles, yet only 18K in GVWR. Many of the Landmarks, Big Horns, etc have 14K in axles and a GVWR of 16.5K, relying on the pin weight on the truck. Using that math, the 3 axle 18K TH's would have a GVWR of 21 - 22K. Me thinks the GVWR is a function of the available standard tow vehicles. For instance 5 years ago, the standard tow vehicles from the Big 3, couldn't tow over 18K. They didn't even differentiate the towing capacities between TT's and 5ers back then. If the trailer mnfr's had claimed a GVWR of 21K, none of the Big 3 had a vehicle to tow it. Try selling that to the public.