Cyclone Carrying Capacity

CrazyCooter

To the OP: Nowhere in this thread did I see which models you are interested in. There are a few in the line up that could work for you, so don't give up.

My 300C, just over 40', only weighed in a little under 12K gvw empty with a gvwr of 16K.......CCC right at 4,300lb. Plenty of capacity for you goal with good tires. That's just one example..However, the porky 3110 loaded up with 3 A/C's, aux fuel cell, genny, double wide refer, level up, dual panes, and ramp door patio would be an immediate no go....

oscar

Seems a little funny that there are hundreds of the Cyclones out on the road hauling 2 bikes, Harleys or Hondas, a couple even carry a Smart car... They are not complaining about problems all the time from being overloaded. You just need to have the right truck to handle the load.

I own a 4100 King, (and LOVE IT) and I am a reasonably intelligent person who has figured out the math and done it. Based on the yellow sticker on the trailer (with an ACTUAL empty weight) and knowing what water weighs and what our "stuff" weighs I have made my statements. Yes, having the right truck to handle the load makes it "doable"….. but with all respect Jimtoo, you can put a Peterbilt in front of it, but that does NOT, repeat NOT change that pesky little GVWR number of the trailer. But you knew that. Yes, there are a lot of owners out there that are skilled, and knowledgeable enough to make it work, to delicately walk that fine line, sometimes on this side, sometimes on the other. But I bet you a fair wager that if we were to put ALL of them on the scales and applied ALL limitations as published there would be a carnage. But I bet you know that too.

Now, I'm not trying to get into it with you here, so if you really disagree with me, I will be more than happy to share my numbers with you off line.

oscar

My 300C, just over 40', only weighed in a little under 12K gvw empty with a gvwr of 16K.......CCC right at 4,300lb. Plenty of capacity for you goal with good tires. That's just one example..However, the porky 3110 loaded up with 3 A/C's, aux fuel cell, genny, double wide refer, level up, dual panes, and ramp door patio would be an immediate no go....

That may be a valid point. I am not familiar with the numbers of all Cyclones. I can speak to the CCC of the 4100 King. Right now I am 3000 miles away from it, but when I get home I will get the exact number off the sticker.

scottyb

I'm not sure if y'all are worried about the legality issues or if you are afraid you are going to break your 5th wheel.

For the legality part, this is from the Texas Administrative Code; Commercial Motor Vehicles and Licensing Definitions

(2) Gross combination weight rating (GCWR)--The value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a combination (articulated) vehicle. If there is no manufacturer's specified value, gross combination weight rating is determined by adding the GVWR of the power unit and the total weight of the towed unit or units and any load on a towed unit.

My interpretation is the legal limit is the lesser of;
1) Your truck's GCWR
2) Your truck's GVWR + Your 5th wheel's GVWR.
In my case my truck's GCWR (30.5K) is lower than the 2nd option (32K).

readytohitheroad

We have a truck that can haul anything we end up purchasing, that part we are ok on. My issue was a fear that we would purchase a TH, and due to weight of what we plan on hauling, it would cause issues with the TH/tires or other structural problems. Then if we sought to remedy via the warranty process we would be denied due to the fact we overloaded the TH. Just being careful and doing our homework. We love the cyclones/road warriors we have looked at and will be disappointed if we are forced in another direction!

scottyb

We have a truck that can haul anything we end up purchasing, that part we are ok on. My issue was a fear that we would purchase a TH, and due to weight of what we plan on hauling, it would cause issues with the TH/tires or other structural problems. Then if we sought to remedy via the warranty process we would be denied due to the fact we overloaded the TH. Just being careful and doing our homework. We love the cyclones/road warriors we have looked at and will be disappointed if we are forced in another direction!

Order it with 7K axles.

scottyb

If your TH has a garage rated to haul 2500 - 3000 lbs, and your two Harleys only weigh 2000 lbs why would it not be covered under warranty, if something happens structurally? Get the 7K axles for peace of mind and put the best tires you can get on it and go enjoy it. Life is too short.

wiredawgchief

I had my Cyclone 3950 and truck weighed at each wheel with 30 gal in the fuel tank, full tank fresh water an empty grey water and black water tanks. Had all supplies and clothes on board and two full propane tanks, and the Mule in the garage. Had 112 gal fuel in the truck, the dogs, my wife and me I the truck. We misplaced the weight paperwork, but the trailer and truck were as close to perfectly balanced as possible. Trailer weighed in at 18,800lbs with a 1K headroom on each axle, 400lbs headroom on each tire, and significant headroom on the pin. GCVW was 31.5Klbs.

I'm happy with the numbers and will pretty much keep everything as it is. Frequent inspections, watching speed, keeping fallowing distances and being liberal with the air horn when it looks like a driver texting will do something stupid all work together to keep everyone and everything safe.

Ron

rgwilliams69

These threads pop up every once in a while and get discussed in-depth. But I'm wondering (actual question): has anyone ever heard of a failure attributed to garage overloading on a Cyclone or any other TH? I know that there have been blowouts on tires, but there are so many variables there I don't imagine you could point to garage carrying weight as an exact cause. I just wondering if anyone has had an experience or heard a story of overloaded TH failure. Add to that anyone ever heard of the ramp overloaded with anything or will it hold just as much as the garage floor?

We just have a golf cart and some associated items in our and are well under the rating for the garage. But totally loaded for the road we are close to the 18k with water, generator, etc.

oscar

I had my Cyclone 3950 and truck weighed at each wheel with 30 gal in the fuel tank, full tank fresh water an empty grey water and black water tanks. Had all supplies and clothes on board and two full propane tanks, and the Mule in the garage. Had 112 gal fuel in the truck, the dogs, my wife and me I the truck. We misplaced the weight paperwork, but the trailer and truck were as close to perfectly balanced as possible. Trailer weighed in at 18,800lbs with a 1K headroom on each axle, 400lbs headroom on each tire, and significant headroom on the pin. GCVW was 31.5Klbs.

I'm happy with the numbers and will pretty much keep everything as it is. Frequent inspections, watching speed, keeping fallowing distances and being liberal with the air horn when it looks like a driver texting will do something stupid all work together to keep everyone and everything safe.

Ron

What is the GVWR of the trailer (per the sticker)……?????

CrazyCooter

Busted.....The RV.net weight police have infiltrated the compound!!!:rolleyes: You forgot to vacuum the air out of the garage before taking it on the road.

priorguy

Is that the reason behind the nitrogen filled tire up charge? It reduces you dry weight without any Hindenburg recreations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HornedToad

If it's all about CCC then look at Heartlands new triple axle Torque 380, it has the same 18000 lb GVW as the Cyclones but with a 5 inch lower profile (no loft) the dry weight is 1000 lbs less which increases the CCC to over 4000 lbs.

oscar

If it's all about CCC then look at Heartlands new triple axle Torque 380, it has the same 18000 lb GVW as the Cyclones but with a 5 inch lower profile (no loft) the dry weight is 1000 lbs less which increases the CCC to over 4000 lbs.

That's better. BUT…. remember that this does NOT include options or liquids…... Air conditioners, bigger fridges, electric beds, awnings, porch packages water, propane and gasoline if so equipped. It all adds up.