Dead Battery but WHY?

Toterhome

2012 Road Warrior toyhauler, I leave it plugged in almost all summer. The previous owner indicated that the battery's were relatively new. Got it in Friday and they were DOA. NOTHING. I pulled them out today and they look like new. Interstate U2200 Battery's I was going to replace them but thought maybe I better check here first. Any suggestions?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One quick question.
Did you check them with a volt meter?
Your coach may have a battery cut-off switch or the converter is not charging.

Peace
Dave

weekender01

Do you store your unit at all and does it have a battery cutoff switch? If so be advised that the battery cutoff that is installed by Heartland does not cut everything off so there will be a parasitic drain on the battery all the time. If stored more than a few weeks the battery will be dead. If you are not storing and it still is dead you either have a bad battery or you unit is not charging the battery.

wdk450

The converter/charger may not be working. DC voltmeter checks with the charger connected to AC power should show about 13 volts across the batteries, even with bad batteries. Many types of the chargers have output fuses on the 12 volts DC output that could have blown. If you don't have a cheap external battery charger, it can be a lifesaver for both tow vehicle and RV batteries during a trip. The batteries can only be load tested after getting a full charge. Most auto parts stores will do this for free.

Lynn1130

be advised that the battery cutoff that is installed by Heartland does not cut everything off

Mine does.

Check each battery cell to be sure that one is not dead or dying. If the cutoff switch was on then as stated before it could prevent the batteries from charging but if fully charged they should only drop by about 3% per month assuming nothing else is drawing power. If the cutoff switch was off the batteries should have some sort of a charge even if there is some draw from accessories.

If you still have them out put a charger on them, check the water if they are flooded and check the cells. If they take a charge then you will need to start looking at the trailer's system to see if the fault is there. But first would be to determine the position of the cutoff switch.

danemayer

If so be advised that the battery cutoff that is installed by Heartland does not cut everything off so there will be a parasitic drain on the battery all the time.

The battery cutoff switch doesn't affect power running to the breakaway switch or to the generator starter motor. But absent a malfunction, neither of those circuits should be drawing power when in storage. Everything else should be off. If your trailer is wired differently, it may need a corrective actions.

If you have a residential refrigerator, there may be a 2nd cutoff switch for the power connection to the inverter. If left on, that will drain batteries quickly.

For general 12V DC problems, you may find our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide helpful. Here's a link.
If you have the residential refrigerator, the block diagram in the Residential Refrigerator Guide is more representative.

rxbristol

Dan, you usually have everyone check the circuit breaker on the lugs...that's how mine went dead because it wasn't charging.

Toterhome

Well here is what I have learned with all the great help this site offers. First, "don't leave your unit plugged in for weeks at a time without using the battery disconnect" I pulled the battery's out and found them to be completely DRY. I also found that these battery's are VERY expensive. Well over $300 for two new ones. I decided to fill them with distilled water and put them on my auto charger. Being 6 volt, I connected them, then placed them on charger. It wasn't a week ago that I used the battery's so I hoped that I hadn't fried them. This morning one seems to be pretty good via the volt meter, the other just under what I was hoping for. So I am going to reinstall and let charge for 24 hours in the unit then recheck. I betcha I'll remember to utilize the disconnect in the future now. Never had this happen with my old unit but it was a Class C with one 12 volt battery. It would go bad about every three years. live and learn, thanks gang

danemayer

Well here is what I have learned with all the great help this site offers. First, "don't leave your unit plugged in for weeks at a time without using the battery disconnect"

There shouldn't be a problem with leaving the rig connected to shore power and battery disconnect ON. Full timers run 24x7, week after week, year after year with shore power connected and battery disconnect ON.

If your batteries ran dry, and you had checked the water level within the past couple of months, you may have a malfunctioning Power Converter. The Power Converter charges the batteries and has several modes that keep them charged without boiling off the water or causing mineral buildup. But if it was always in the boost mode, you could probably boil off the water quickly.

That said, I have to ask how long it's been since you checked the water level.

wdk450

I'm glad you figured this out. Since you are down to last ditch tries, you might see if you can find some chromium based battery additive. This stuff is controversial, but I have used it several times with good luck. My current set of 4 batteries is over 4 years old.

Also, consider moving to a Progressive 9200 series charger/converter if you don't already have one. At about $250 this is about the cost of another set of batteries, and I don't think that Heartland installs these in Road Warriors due to the price, but in my view (as a retired hospital electronics technician) these are the finest converter/chargers out there with their charge wizard 3 stage main charging, and their equalization 15 minute mode every 21 hours in final storage mode. See: http://www.progressivedyn.com/charge_wizard.html

Good Luck!!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We've owned three different camper trailers in the last 15 years and all of them have been plugged in to our garage all the time while parked beside our house . . .

Which is where it is parked when we are not on the road.

I check the water level every couple of months and have not had any issues with batteries burning up.

I agree with the others . . . something is wrong with your charging unit.

ProwlerInYard-P1000054.jpg CamperInYard-IMG_0069.jpg

Toterhome

I bought the unit in January USED. The prior owner did mention they put in two new 6 volts. I am ashamed to say I hadn't checked the water level until a couple days ago. So maybe that is the sole problem? looking for guidance

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I bought the unit in January USED. The prior owner did mention they put in two new 6 volts. I am ashamed to say I hadn't checked the water level until a couple days ago. So maybe that is the sole problem? looking for guidance

It sounds like the converter is overcharging.

Lynn1130

I would think it more likely, since the batteries were not watered, that they went dry or nearly so and are damaged. Did you check them. A look into the cap holes should tell you whether there is water there or not. If the level is below the plates, bad news.

I have the battery disconnect turned on (battery not connected) and a Battery Tender hooked to the batteries. I exercise the genny once a month and add any needed water to the batteries at that time. It does take a small amount each time. That being the case, not checking batteries would eventually result in the a problem similar to what the OP had.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Our trailer is plugged in all the time. I DO have to check the water level every month or so and add as needed. This normal for wet battery.

rxbristol

It all depends on the converter. I had one in a C-class where I had to keep an eye on the battery, but in our current Landmark, which we're living in fulltime, I've not had to had water for almost two years.

Lynn1130

That may or may not be good. Charging causes water loss. If the batteries are being used they will discharge thus need charging. Water loss is normal and in hot weather like Texas and Arizona very normal. That is why battery compartments in trailers have vents. Vapor escapes from the battery carrying water vapor with it. So if you have not had to add water, I would be wondering about the charge to the battery. I am no battery expert but have no doubt that much like the weight and tire experts someone will jump in here but you are not having to put water in it is it charging? Not saying it is not charging but ???

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Support/FAQ/Maintenance.aspx

wdk450

That may or may not be good. Charging causes water loss. If the batteries are being used they will discharge thus need charging. Water loss is normal and in hot weather like Texas and Arizona very normal. That is why battery compartments in trailers have vents. Vapor escapes from the battery carrying water vapor with it. So if you have not had to add water, I would be wondering about the charge to the battery. I am no battery expert but have no doubt that much like the weight and tire experts someone will jump in here but you are not having to put water in it is it charging? Not saying it is not charging but ???

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Support/FAQ/Maintenance.aspx

I think that the main reason battery compartments have vents is that explosive hydrogen gas is produced when charging a battery. Sealed batteries safely contain this gas, but sealed battery compartments just build a sulfuric acid laden bomb.

Lynn1130

Yes, that is what I am referring to. The gasses that need to be vented contain some of the water in the battery (within H2SO4) which depletes the amount of water in the battery and must be replaced.