DEF Storage???? Where?

wingfoot

Now that I have a Ford 6.7 that requires DEF. I am wondering where to store the 2.5 Gallon containers. I don't want to store it in the RV because it's caustic. Could carry it in the bed of the truck but I'm not crazy about that either.
I am thinking of buying it as needed, but not being familiar with availability while traveling could pose a problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.

pegmikef

You can buy gallon containers of it at Ford dealers which would get you out of any potential bind that you could probably just carry in the back of your truck. I have a cap so I carry the 2.5 gallon container. I also run a system check frequently and everytime it reports that the def is half full, I top it off.

Nowadays it is available at truckstops, Walmart, dealers and most auto parts stores, so availability isn't really a problem unless you are camped someplace like Big Bend National Park (and they might even have it in the village store, but I didn't look).

wingfoot

Thanks Mike...sounds like I'll just buy it as needed..
Just curious, how much to you add when the system shows "half full"?

dbbls59

If you have a Ford, when it shows less than 1/2, it will hold 2 1/2 gallon, not enough to reset the gauge. I would wait until it will hold 3 or more gallons than it will reset the gauge. It will use about 1 gallon per 1000 miles when towing. The tank holds 5 gallons so you are good for 5000 miles of towing.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Store it in a plastic or rubbermaid style container and you can store it anywhere. The substance is only caustic to metal and fabrics and fibers if I understand the spec sheet on it correctly. I would use everything in it once you open it, or make sure that once it is opened it is securely sealed afterward to prevent the fumes from escaping. But in a sealed plastic or rubbermaid style tote you should be fine to store it whereever you'd like.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
When mine got low (the warning light said less than 500 miles till empty) I was able to put in 4.5 gallons. I purchased the two large 2.5 gallon jugs from Ford and was able to put nearly all of both of them. Next time I will wait till I am down to about 200 miles till the DEF runs out and should be able to fit all 5 gallons.

How many gallons does the tank hold?

MTPockets

I've waited until the warning message comes on...... You still have 500 miles which is plenty of time to get what you need.

porthole

Retired
Holds about 6 gallons total but is listed at 5 gallons.
I seldom will carry any reserve. I mostly buy as needed. If I go below 1/2 while traveling I will try and pick up two 2.5 gallon buckets and wait till it is down to the 200 mile warning.

wolfrat1

yes, it's normally available at any truck stop, auto parts or automotive dealership. if anyone owns a chev or gmc, the level is measured in percents. when you drop down to 20%, warning pops up. i normally put in two 2 1/2 gallons of fluid and i'm good. i just buy when needed and don't have any problems.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
The truck stops around Houston have a DEF filling pump by the fuel pumps. I stopped by Loves just by Camping World in Katy, Tx and they had it at the pump for $2.60 a gallon. M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Most Love's, Pilot and Flying J stores sell the DEF at the pump. Many convenience stores now carry it too. The Ford tank says it is 5 gal. The prices are close to being the same where ever you buy it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
DEF fluid can go bad. I would only buy when needed and not store it for long periods of time. Car dealers only leave a little in the tanks until the vehicle is sold. Then they fill the tank.

mdamerell

DEF is available at any truck stop, pump and/or jug. Auto parts stores like Autozone, NAPA and O'Riely's all stock the jugs. I would not worry about carrying any with me.

dave10a

I stopped carrying DEF because it is so plentiful and available and there is plenty of warning that it is needed. I don't know why Ford provides more warning than running out of fuel. Maybe it because they think we are stupid :)))

lwmcguir

I just check the information screen occasionally and when it is below 1/2 then I add 2.5 gallons. Seems to work well for me.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Not all Ford dealers fill up the Def tank. Mack Haik in Houston did not fill mine up. The 500 mile warning came on around 3,800 miles. Not a issue but don't assume they do. But on the flip side it had a fuel tank of diesel leaving the dealer.

wingfoot

Thanks to all responders...Since I'm new to this DEF thing, I didn't realize it was so readily available. Sounds like it would be a non-event to be able to get the stuff.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
It is readily available though some gas stations will try to **** you on it. One store had it for $12 a gallon.

Last edited by a moderator: