Denver to California

mrhits

I'm getting the Cyclone 4012 ready for a drive to California on Friday. I'll be taking the northern route I-70 to I-15. I'll be keeping an eye on road conditions on on the Colorado road conditions site:
http://www.cotrip.org/roadConditions.htm

Hopefully it's all clear by Friday, it not I'll probably take I-25 from Denver to I-40.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Definatly keep a very close eye on the weather for the northern route this time of year and be sure to check the weather for the southern route too as they get snow in the mountains in NM and AZ too..

FWI the southern route is only 200 miles further, better roads, time wise it's only a couple hours different and a lot less mountain driving.

Safe travels.

skyguy

My vote would be the southern route too, unless you have to go up north. Got a deep cold front and snow coming Thursday. The southern mountains have received NO SNOW this year so far. Wolf Creek normally is in a contest with Alta/Snowbird for snowfall. Right now WC only has 35 inches. Alta 70. Taos 25. (!) They are talking drought conditions again for southern Colo.

ChopperBill

I have taken I-70 a couple of times pulling a trailer. Not much fun. You think you are out of the hills when you leave CO but the Utah hills are not much better. I-80 through WY is a crap shoot with the weather. Dont know how far south you are going in CA but we even quit going I-40 through the Flagstaff mountain area. We go about another 200 miles out of our way and head on I-25 straight south of Albuquerque to Hatch NM and take the short way to Deming NM and then head west on I-10. Sure is a lot less stressful for us and no hill or weather problems.