Denver to Goshen this summer

brianlajoie

I want to travel to Goshen, IN this summer without using I-80 or I-70. Has anyone traveled from Denver to Goshen using state roads: 36 (CO, KS, MO) / 24 (IL) / 136 (IL) / 54 (IL) / 9 (IL) / 26 (IN) - at least to Indiana? May want to stop by Indianapolis on the way. My experience (though limited) has been that the state roads are in much better shape than the highways.

danemayer

I just did that trip in late October. I80 is in pretty good shape to Joliet, IL. Then take 30 east to 31 north to 20 east and south on 33 to the fairgrounds.

gasman

Camp Socializer
I want to travel to Goshen, IN this summer without using I-80 or I-70. Has anyone traveled from Denver to Goshen using state roads: 36 (CO, KS, MO) / 24 (IL) / 136 (IL) / 54 (IL) / 9 (IL) / 26 (IN) - at least to Indiana? May want to stop by Indianapolis on the way. My experience (though limited) has been that the state roads are in much better shape than the highways.

Brian, we are doing the same thing but we are catching the Branson rally and then the Indianapolis 500 on the way. Give some thought to Branson. That work thing is so overrated!

olcoon

Haven't been on 36 Hwy through Kansas for years. Back before they raised the speed limit back to 70 I used 36 to travel to Colorado, as it was smoother (Last time on I-70 it was a lot better), & took about the same amount of time. Hwy. 36 in MO is 4 lane divided from the KS line to the IL line. Some interesting places to stop along the way: Hollenberg Pony Express Sation (http://www.kshs.org/hollenberg) W. of Marysville, KS (https://www.nps.gov/poex/planyourvisit/site3.htm). In St. Joseph, MO, (http://www.stjomo.com) there are a lot of places to visit. The Pony Express started there & Jesse James was assassinated there. Plus there are several points of interest there. In Hannibal, MO, on the opposite side of the state at the MO/IL line there are a several points of interest about Mark Twain. If you go to the Branson rally, there are TONS of things to see & do in the Kansas City area.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Brain:

Are you heading out to Goshen from the Ft Collins Rally? I am thinking about going as well and if so will stop in Nebr & Iowa to visit family along the way.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Trying to plan our trip from Calif to Oregon then over to Branson then up to Goshen then on the way back a stop at Yellowstone then back into Oregon. Total months gone from home is six plus.

brianlajoie

Brain:

Are you heading out to Goshen from the Ft Collins Rally? I am thinking about going as well and if so will stop in Nebr & Iowa to visit family along the way.

I have to be in Elkhart early to be at MorRyde for my IS / disc brake upgrade. I will check out the rally.

I've been on I-80 and swore last time that I would find another route. The traffic is very heavy and the road is very bad in places.