DETERMINED: What is this? (radio antenna base)

Gtoli

This little thingy is on the roof of my 2011 CY3010. Can anyone tell me what it is?
image.jpg
image.jpg

pegmikef

Re: What is this?

Kind of looks like the base for a whip antenna like we had on some of our military tactical vehicles forty years ago. I have never seen one on any of the rigs I have owned.

TxCowboy

It is an antenna base. Had something similar on my old Greystone but it was mounted on the sidewall of a slide. You could probably reinstall an antenna on that base if you still needed to. It looks like the sealant is still intact.

Gtoli

Tanks for the input. I was thinking it might be an antenna mount but it looks plastic. The radio in the rig seems to have good reception, so I guess I'll leave it alone for now.

OEFVET

Agree no sense doing anything if the radio is getting good reception.

Sent by NY Horse Holder

danemayer

I'll hazard a guess that you're not the original owner. It's probably something installed by a previous owner.

donr827

If you are not going to replace the antenna it might be a good idea to put a cap on it to keep the rain out. Just thinking.
Don

Gtoli

I'll hazard a guess that you're not the original owner. It's probably something installed by a previous owner.

Correct Dan, bought it used and the dealer knows next to nothing about anything.

- - - Updated - - -

You can repair that antenna (if you like) by ordering a new antenna and just using the whip portion. Just remove the screw from the side of the ball of the antenna (in you photo) and take it apart. Remove the whip of the new antenna and install it on your rig. That's what I did. You can get a new antenna on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029X1JG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Thanks Joe, I might just do that.

OEFVET

The antenna base we are all referring to is a factory installed radio antenna. I have the same one on my 2015 Cyclone. Gtoli since your radio reception is good the original owner may have added an additional antenna somewhere. You may want to look into that as well.

oscar

I have one of those too. Used to have the whip on it, then there was a tree branch.

Yup.

Don't use the radio... XM via aux input. So, no rush to get it fixed.

porthole

Retired
Standard replacement whips are available at just about any parts store.
I have changed mine just about every year between sun and branch damage.