Directions needed from Phoenix to Albuquerque

We are in Phoenix headed to the balloon festival in Albuquerque but do not want to take the interstate thru Flagstaff. I understand that the southern route thru Globe has a very difficult canyon (highway 60) and the more northern route (highway 87) thru Payson is very steep. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance Steve

jimtoo

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our members will jump in with some info for you soon about that area.

Jim M

MTPockets

We are in Phoenix headed to the balloon festival in Albuquerque but do not want to take the interstate thru Flagstaff. I understand that the southern route thru Globe has a very difficult canyon (highway 60) and the more northern route (highway 87) thru Payson is very steep. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance Steve
Hey 60 beyond Globe had been closed for quite a while; not sure about current status. FYI

Noofear

I've driven from Phoenix to Albuquerque many times but the best route is always been through Flagstaff might be a little bit longer and granted you have to go through Black Canyon but the other two I would avoid at all costs especially if you're pulling a long trailer

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Take 17 north to Flagstaff, then 40 east to Albuquerque.

You won't regret it.

Lynn1130

I think he said that he did not want to go through Flagstaff.

That is probably the fastest route. I am not sure why you do not want that route but I do not recommend going through Globe. Lots of two lane and Salt River Canyon to climb. Much the same with 87 through Payson and a long climb up the Rim. An alternative, and a longer route if you do not want to go through Flagstaff is South to Tucson on I-10 and follow 10 to Las Cruces and then I-25 north to Albuquerque.

kkamshop

Can't help you with directions but we are headed to the balloon fiesta too on our way to the Las Vegas rally. Maybe we will see you there!

We will look for you there!
Can't help you with directions but we are headed to the balloon fiesta too on our way to the Las Vegas rally. Maybe we will see you there!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the input. Based upon the recommendations we will go thru Flagstaff. I originally didn't want to do that but just because we have traveled that route a number of times and wanted something different. Better safe than sorry and hope to see some of you in Albequerque..

Mrsfish

I will throw out that driving either 60 and enjoying the salt river canyon or 87 and enjoying the rim area are very duable. We drive the salt several times a year and have NO problem with it. That being said- if you are a Rv rookie or a white knuckle driver then maybe 17 is a better route for you.

Lynn1130

No offense but here is my reasoning for recommending avoiding those. If you are sitting in the passenger's seat and enjoying the scenery they are great drives and very doable. I drive both. The 87-260 route more than the other but I am driving and it is really difficult to look around and enjoy the scenery, especially on the 2 lane mountain sections, at 65, with 3 tons of trailer behind you. There is no white-knuckle issue it is just paying attention to the driving. So I generally try to recommend the routes that will give the trailer hauler a route that will have more lanes and less side traffic to deal with.

His best route is I-17 even with the long climbs but for some reason he did not want that one.

MTPockets

I will throw out that driving either 60 and enjoying the salt river canyon or 87 and enjoying the rim area are very duable. We drive the salt several times a year and have NO problem with it. That being said- if you are a Rv rookie or a white knuckle driver then maybe 17 is a better route for you.
June & I have always opted for the more challenging routes, but know too there are people who absolutely will avoid curves and hills as much as possible. It's called personal choice.

Mrsfish

No offense but here is my reasoning for recommending avoiding those. If you are sitting in the passenger's seat and enjoying the scenery they are great drives and very doable. I drive both. The 87-260 route more than the other but I am driving and it is really difficult to look around and enjoy the scenery, especially on the 2 lane mountain sections, at 65, with 3 tons of trailer behind you. There is no white-knuckle issue it is just paying attention to the driving. So I generally try to recommend the routes that will give the trailer hauler a route that will have more lanes and less side traffic to deal with.

His best route is I-17 even with the long climbs but for some reason he did not want that one.

and I stated the other 2 routes because he had been on 17 and was looking for some different scenery. I do agree that it all depends on ones tolerance levels, experience and how far one will go for the different experience. I don't like the 17 route because of the volume of traffic so I'll almost always go a different route. And to boot- if you go through ShowLow, Taylor you end up near Winslow and can enjoy that experience if you wish. 'Standing on the corner in Winsow ARIZONA....'

- - - Updated - - -

I take the shortest route but then, I'm fearless!;)

and we will almost always take the most scenic, lower traffic route. 😀

Gary521

In my opinion, 87 is not any steeper than route 17. Both have some grades. I prefer route 87 and I am not fearless.

Lynn1130

No route going north from Phoenix is much steeper than any other. You have to get to the top of the Rim with all of them and that is a climb. 87 is not bad but it makes no sense for me unless I am going to Alpine. I have to traverse Scottsdale from the 101 to 87 when I can go up I-17 (3 miles from my house, to Flag and parts east. I don't like the volume of traffic on 17 either but I pick my days and times to leave or return and get away from most of that. And if you are driving 65 most of it passes you and is not much of an issue.

And to boot- if you go through ShowLow, Taylor you end up near Winslow and can enjoy that experience if you wish. 'Standing on the corner in Winsow ARIZONA....'

You say "you" but I don't need to see it. I've seen it several times. ;)

SNOKING

We will look for you there!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the input. Based upon the recommendations we will go thru Flagstaff. I originally didn't want to do that but just because we have traveled that route a number of times and wanted something different. Better safe than sorry and hope to see some of you in Albequerque..

The Payson route is the one Microsoft Streets and Trips chooses. The climb to Payson is not that bad. We have towed our 29' 5th wheel through the Salt River Canyon twice. It is a beautiful route with pull outs to see the sights. It however may still be blocked near Globe.

http://www.localconditions.com/weather-globe-arizona/85501/traffic.php

dbbls59

I have driven 60 through Salt River canyon many times. With a gas pickup as well as diesel. It was a load on the gas pickup but with the late model diesels it is no problem. I can even gain speed going up hill and the exhaust brake does a fine job going down. Only used the brakes about three times. It is a very scenic route and I would do it again if I was in the area.

Az_Ernie

The way I'd go is take AZ 87N to AZ 260E to AZ 277N to AZ 377N to AZ 77N to I-40E. I've taken this route pulling our Bighorn to and from Albuquerque many times. All good roads and much less traffic.