Disc Brake Install

Aandaar

I did the install on my trailer four years ago and there is no way in he** I would do the job for $200. I spent that much in band aids and Advil. :)

Peace
Dave

LOL So true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
What would we do without Google!
Just found out my 2016 Ram has in the app settings an area to change the trailer brakes to light & Heavy for both elec and elec over hyd.....my Truck was set on light which may be the reason the Sundance was not appearing to slow down even with the gain on 10....I just changed it over to heavy and will give the Sundance a test run for few miles. This may solve my problem for awhile until I can evaluate if I really need Disc brakes. I must admit I did not read the owners manual.....

Aandaar

Has anyone actually done the install themselves?

Doublegranch

Bones: I have watched a number of video's on the conversion and while it may take a layman more time it does not appear to be that difficult. Escapees site has a nice step by step article on it as well and great comments about Ron and his team. It appears that Ron's kit is complete down to the smallest items you would not think of.

danemayer

Garry,

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Light/Heavy setting changes the voltage sent to the trailer brakes at a given press of the truck brakes. Heavy would send higher voltage down the wire causing tighter grab of the trailer brakes.

One way to get a feel for how much your trailer brakes are doing is to get up to 40 mph, coast, and press the manual control on the truck's brake controller. If you press and hold the manual control, it's applying maximum voltage. Based on my experience, on level ground, if you hold it at max, the trailer brakes should slow you from 40 to 20 mph in 5-10 seconds. You can also try this from a stationary position. Ideally, if you hold the manual control, the trailer brakes should lock the trailer wheels. The truck can probably drag the trailer anyway, but on a new trailer, where everything should be working well, the wheels shouldn't turn.

pegmikef

I know Dave Seabolt (North Texas HOC Chapter Leader) and I have read on this forum and facebook of others that have done it themselves. I watched when they installed mine and thought I could have done it if I was twenty years younger. Everything was provided in the kit (they use exactly the same kit). It took John and his son right at four hours plus clean up time to do the job. I have put over 2K miles on it since they installed the disc brakes and they have worked flawlessly. Sure glad I had them when I drove to Cortez, CO from Santa Rosa, NM yesterday.

Bones

Bones: I have watched a number of video's on the conversion and while it may take a layman more time it does not appear to be that difficult. Escapees site has a nice step by step article on it as well and great comments about Ron and his team. It appears that Ron's kit is complete down to the smallest items you would not think of.
I agree I don't think the set up and install is difficult. I think I would spend more time jacking my trailer up and securing it than installing.

jnbhobe

I did mine 6 or 7 years ago, believe it or not the hardest part is running the brake lines. Cookie also did his and made a Youtube video of it, Dave will agree on the hydraulic lines too.

Doublegranch

[I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Light/Heavy setting changes the voltage sent to the trailer brakes at a given press of the truck brakes. Heavy would send higher voltage down the wire causing tighter grab of the trailer brakes.

One way to get a feel for how much your trailer brakes are doing is to get up to 40 mph, coast, and press the manual control on the truck's brake controller. If you press and hold the manual control, it's applying maximum voltage. Based on my experience, on level ground, if you hold it at max, the trailer brakes should slow you from 40 to 20 mph in 5-10 seconds. You can also try this from a stationary position. Ideally, if you hold the manual control, the trailer brakes should lock the trailer wheels. The truck can probably drag the trailer anyway, but on a new trailer, where everything should be working well, the wheels shouldn't turn.]

[Dan: Just took the Sundance for a test drive....Results:
40 mph with just the brake controller on gain 10 and just using the controller 10 seconds from 40 to just under 20 mph.....40 mph using the truck brakes with the setup on heavy....normal braking 40 -20 mph 5 seconds with tow haul and EB on. again at 40 mph with truck brake, tow haul and eb using a hard stop....40 -0 5 sec. Parked with the brake away pulled all 4 tires are locked.. unable to check using the controller only while the tires are off the ground...Girls don't know how to step on the brake yet...So perhaps everything is okay and my expectations were a little high???? What is you opinion?]

Aandaar

Sounds like it is working just like my 43ft Bighorn. To me they are just a little mushy in a panic stop. Last two trips out I have had couple of kids/adults cut me off then jam breaks in front of me just because I left (ITO) to much following distance. Both of them came within a couple of inches of being new hood ornaments for the RAM. Thus my want of disk brakes.

Aandaar

LoL just watched that Youtube about an hour ago.

Titanguy

Although I will not be in Las Vegas, my installers will be. I already have 3 installs scheduled for the Oasis RV Resort, so I will be extending "Rally Pricing" of $2450 installed for any Heartland Product with 8 hole wheel, 7k & 8k standard bearing axles.

Bones

I have, five years ago. Look HERE.

Peace
Dave
Dave How has your set up worked for you? When you come to a stop do you have to take your foot off the brake? How about traffic can you keep your foot on the brake will the actuator overheat? Thanks

Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
These brakes are awesome. I do not take my foot off the brake pedal, so far no problem.
I have no way of knowing how hot the actuator gets but I believe it was designed to use not baby.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Although I will not be in Las Vegas, my installers will be. I already have 3 installs scheduled for the Oasis RV Resort, so I will be extending "Rally Pricing" of $2450 installed for any Heartland Product with 8 hole wheel, 7k & 8k standard bearing axles.
Well if I don't have you do it I'll come take a look of how you're running your brake lines and where you're mounting the head unit. Then it will be a breeze when I do mine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk