Disconnected Bolt Came Out of Black Tank

I drained and flushed the black tank on our 2012 Cyclone 3800 like I've done several times in the past, however, this time I had an unexpected result. First, when I turned on the water to the flush system, there was a distinct growling sound coming from the area around the UDC and no water was coming out of the tank (nothing was draining to the sewer) for about a minute. I opened and closed the black tank valve several times and turned the water to the flush system on and off a few times. Finally, the water started to flow, but the growling continued. Finally, when I disconnected the sewer line, I noticed a bolt sitting in the pipe near the outlet to the sewer line. It's a bolt about 1 1/2" long with a distinct thin flat head about 3/4" long. Anybody have any idea where this bolt came from and if I should be worried? Besides the growling and temporary lack of flow from the flush, there doesn't seem to be any other symptoms.

jimtoo

Hi The Five Os,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I have heard of a lot of things, but not a bolt being in a black tank. I would have no idea where it would be from, except maybe when they were mounting the toilet, they maybe dropped one down the drain. That would be my guess. I would keep an eye on every thing and as long as it all works good not worry to much about it. Maybe someone else will have an idea also.

Enjoy the forum and your new Cyclone.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Too much iron in your diet and too much weight training on the glutes??

Seriously, I had a similar experience with our former TT and got a broken spade bit out of it, along with some plywood pieces and styrofoam. What you found sounds like a toilet flange bolt. Be happy it didn't get lodged in the open valve and damaged it when you tried to close it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree with John on this one. It sounds as if it's a flange bolt. The flat head slides into a slot in the flange that is screwed to the floor. That bolt, along with a 2nd bolt, secures the toilet to the flange. The installer probably dropped it down the hole during the installation.
What I can't answer, it the growling. My flusher anti backflush valve makes a distinct noise like a heavy buzzing or vibrating noise. The noise level can vary depending on how much water pressure we have.

Thanks to all for the replies. My first thought was that the tank was somehow coming apart, but, hopefully, it was just a clumsy toilet installer. I'll definitely keep an eye on it, though. Thanks, again.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Compare it to the toilet bolts in home depot/lowes/walmart next time you go there. If no match, bring it to a good ole time hardware store and tell the oldest clerk there, you need 100 of those bolts. He will find out what it is real quick.