Disconnecting batteries while plugged in.

blacklabbob

Having boondocked since 1969, we have rarely been plugged in at regular camgrounds and have operated on batteries. (charged every few days with generators). Now that we are buying a LM Key Largo we shall begin doing some regular camping with hookups. When on 120 VAC is it OK to disconnect (switch off) fully charged batteries thereby reducing the "cooking time" on them which results in water levels in the batteries decreasing. In other words, can we operate solely on the converter using 120VAC.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would recommend that you leave the batteries connected to the converter.
You have a "smart" charger. It knows when to charge hard or trickle.
Ours is always plugged in and I never had a problem with the batteries.
But just like everything else the battery will need to be maintained. I check often and only have to add a little water about twice per year.
Others may have different ideas on what to do with the battery.

Peace
Dave

Peace
Dave

priorguy

Of course you can, some dealers don't even include batteries with purchase but treat it as an upsell. Most build it into either the price or PDI fees.

danemayer

You can do it easily with the battery cutoff switch, but as Dave noted, there's no need. Which ever way you go you'll want to check the battery a couple of times a year. But you'll probably only need to add water once in a while. We use our Landmark about 6 months out of the year, always on shore power, and might add a little distilled water once a year.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You can do it easily with the battery cutoff switch, but as Dave noted, there's no need. Which ever way you go you'll want to check the battery a couple of times a year. But you'll probably only need to add water once in a while. We use our Landmark about 6 months out of the year, always on shore power, and might add a little distilled water once a year.

Same for us and we're still on the original battery. About the only time I use the battery switch is when I'm doing maintenance at the storage yard and don't want to have to connect/disconnect the battery. But when I'm done with whatever I'm doing, I pull it out and store it at home over the winter. I'll put it on charge a couple of times over the winter, just to maintain it.

ILH

One downside to disconnecting your battery at campsites is remembering to reconnect before towing. Not everyone realizes that the battery is required for the breakaway brakes.

I leave mine connected during camping. I use the built-in cut-off while in storage. I also pull the battery during the off season.

brianharrison

Yes you can solely rely on the converter to operate the coach, with the batteries isolated.

That being said, higher end, 3 stage intelligent converters - like what is more than likely installed in your new Key Largo, have the charge voltage reduced to 13.2V during the float or storage stage (batteries are fully charged) preventing the "cooking" or offgassing that you refer to in your post. This is a newer battery charger technology that is improving how batteries are maintained in our units.

The brand and model in most of the Landmarks (to my knowledge) are the Progressive Dynamics 9200 series of converters which help charge the batteries and are capable of operation without a battery attached. Here is the online webpage for the PD9200 series of converters. More than likely you have the specific 80A capacity model - ie PD9280.

Here is the algorithm the intelligent three stage chargers use for battery charging. Good reference material.

I had purchased the Remote Pendant when my 9280 was in my coach, and found it very helpful to understand what charge mode the converter was in while I was recharging with my generators. It was a indirect reading for me to determine the state of charge for my batteries before I installed my Battery Monitor from Xantrex. I still do a fair amount of dry camping. Probably not needed if you are in serviced sites the majority of the time.

Hope this helps,
Brian

wdk450

Brian and All:
If you read the Progressive Converter/Charger Charge Wizard literature, you will see that it has a 4th, desulfation mode, that it goes into every day and a half(?) where it puts 14.4 volts into the fully charged battery system for about 15 minutes to cook off lead plate sulfation. I would think that this makes plugged-in BETTER than any solar system, external battery charger, or generator charger you have.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have owned 4 coaches over the last 10 years and have never disconnected the battery while in regular use. The only time we would disconnect and remove the battery is during storage in wintertime.
OH by the way - CONGRATULATIONS on your new Condo on Wheels. Ya'll will have to bring it to the next TN rally May 9-11, 2014 in Sevierville. Nathan & I did see her at the dealership Saturday when I had to pick up a part that I broke on the Grey Ghost :(.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
blacklabbob - we are trying to work our schedule out to come to the NC rally in November but have just found out I'm going to have to have some minor surgery the next week. Will have to wait and see but you will have your new "condo on wheels" by then right????

RoadJunkie

I am amazed how healthy my batteries have been over the last three years. I always leave shore power connected and check batteries (water) on a 4-6 month basis. Every once-in-a-while I will disconnect shore power and let the batteries work the coach. I don't full-time but have shore (50 amp) power at the house.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've always left our campers plugged in all the time when parked beside our house with batteries connected . . .

I haven't had a problem with the batteries that I know of.

If we go away for a few days without the trailer, I generally do unplug the power.

Our old trailer we had for 12 years and only replaced the battery once (I think 8 years after we bought it).

Our new trailer has two batteries.

We often use it as a guest house when we have visitors, plus we sometimes like to 'pretend camp' when we are not able to take the trailer away for a trip somewhere.

'Pretend camping' is just staying in the trailer in our yard.

We've also used it during power outages to cook dinner since we have an electric stove in the house.

We don't have a power inverter yet, so can't watch TV when running on batteries.

We plan on getting a generator next year as well.

Also, for security reasons, I bought a 3-pack of heavy duty cable locks and have both batteries and both gas tanks cable-locked to the trailer frame.

Rodbuster

This should not stop you from going to the rally. Everybody has a pretty good assortment of tools. We should be able to fix-up any problem you might have.

Dick
blacklabbob - we are trying to work our schedule out to come to the NC rally in November but have just found out I'm going to have to have some minor surgery the next week. Will have to wait and see but you will have your new "condo on wheels" by then right????

wdk450

I am amazed how healthy my batteries have been over the last three years. I always leave shore power connected and check batteries (water) on a 4-6 month basis. Every once-in-a-while I will disconnect shore power and let the batteries work the coach. I don't full-time but have shore (50 amp) power at the house.

Road Junkie:
See my previous post on this thread about the Progressive Dynamics Converter/Charger. I think it is the source of your excellent battery life/health.