Do Water Hoses Go Bad?

rxbristol

SOLVED Do Water Hoses Go Bad?

Do fresh water hoses go bad? I've had my fresh water hoses for about 8 years and I've just started noticing when I first turn on the water it has a dirty plastic smell until the water has run for a bit. Has anyone else experienced this? I searched the forums and I did not see this mentioned anywhere, nor have I read it elsewhere.

Last edited:

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Yes, You probably have stuff growing in the hose.

You might try using a bleach/water solution and fill the hose to kill the nasty stuff attacking the plastic. if the hose still is funky after the bleach flush, then you may want to consider replacing the hose.

MTPockets

I would think if the hose is left in stationary use for long periods of time there could be some build up of minerals, but no more than inside any other water pipe, and they only get replaced after years of use and only then if it springs a leak. Any other use where hose is used, drained, coiled, used, etc., would seem to get flushed every time it's used. When I coil my hoses I always connect the ends to keep anything from getting inside, other than that I can't see a need to do anything more than replace it if it starts leaking.

'Lil Guy'

For the price of a new fresh water hose, I would just replace it if it didn't smell right. Hey, 8 years with a $20.00 hose?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Flush and drain your hose(s) at the end of your season and give them a mild bleach flush at the start of it. Rinse thoroughly and you should be good to go. And the quality of the hose can vary. Mine came from the RV Water Filter Store.

Lynn1130

Think about them laying in the sun all day while you are RVing some place. UV surely will break down the hose after a while. My household hoses begin to get a strong rubber/plastic odor from laying in the sun for years on end.

B

BouseBill

I will add, that as full-timers with our water source as an unfiltered (private) well you should check your hose every couple months at least. I have found some pretty good green growth inside the hoses on more than one occasion. A good STRONG bleach solution poured in the hose, sloshed and allowed to sit for a couple hours will clean it out or kill it.

TxCowboy

I buy a new fresh water hose every season. They're relatively inexpensive and it's one less thing to worry about.

lwmcguir

I buy a new fresh water hose every season. They're relatively inexpensive and it's one less thing to worry about.
If your hose is outside most of the year and if used quite a bit the hose will break down. Organic chemicals and chlorine work on the hose. Buy the new one at least every other year and never use a garden hose.

rxbristol

Flush and drain your hose(s) at the end of your season and give them a mild bleach flush at the start of it. Rinse thoroughly and you should be good to go. And the quality of the hose can vary. Mine came from the RV Water Filter Store.

i have a newer hose from the RV Water Filter Store and it's a VERY nice hose, especially the heavy duty brass connections.

rxbristol

i bought a new hose to replace the very old one and the odor, which I believe was the result of the hose breaking down inside, is gone and problem solved. Thanks for all that replied.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
i have a newer hose from the RV Water Filter Store and it's a VERY nice hose, especially the heavy duty brass connections.

If you buy a quality hose and take care of it, you should not need to replace it every year. A hose from WallyWorld is not a quality hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk