do you secure your electric awning?

schew

My first RV had a manual awning and I made sure to secure it while driving using heavy duty cinch straps.
My new RV has an electric awning and am wondering if others secure theirs during transit. Unless I do not understand the mechanics of a powered awning, I assume that since it is geared, that it would be difficult for gravity to cause it to unravel.
Thoughts?

TxCowboy

I believe Schew is referring to a method to secure the awning(s) while traveling, not when they are at a campsite.

For traveling, many use Velcro straps on the support arms. Not sure there is really anything you can wrap around the awning itself.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have small manual window awnings and the large power awning. Never used anything to secure them and there's been no problem on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
As far as traveling, we haven't had any problems with electric awning.

schew

On my manual awnings, there's space in between b the awning arms and the rv wall so I could easily run a strap inbetween and cinch the arms closed.
Iirc, my electric awnings are flush against the walls so can't secure them in the same fashion...

rhodies1

My first RV had a manual awning and I made sure to secure it while driving using heavy duty cinch straps.
My new RV has an electric awning and am wondering if others secure theirs during transit. Unless I do not understand the mechanics of a powered awning, I assume that since it is geared, that it would be difficult for gravity to cause it to unravel.
Thoughts?

No need to secure during travel,it would be a pita to install cable
ties in the arms everytime you travel.They are designed to stay put against the unit when travelling.
The awning motor works off off a gear reduction sequence,I have never had an issue with any of the units I have owned with a power awning.

aatauses

We have been traveling for 8 years and never had any extra tie downs--however I have thought about it, but never been an issue
al