Dometic DM2852 refrigerator runs all the time

The refrigerator in our Sundance 3300CK runs all the time. This is our 4th camper and the other never did this. I even turn it off and the humming noise continues for a few minutes. Dealer claims this is a fan installed to keep the compartment back space cool. Is this a fact, and do we now have to listen to this sometimes day and night? When the AC is on it is no problem because that fan drowns out the other.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
RickyBetty75, welcome to the forum.
Sometimes these fans are a bit noisy. Mine were.
I went to a computer store and bought new fans. They are pretty cheap.
No more fan noise here.
So you might consider doing that.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Depends on where the fan is mounted. Some are at the top of the fridge, some are in the center, making it difficult to access. Pull the vent cover from behind the unit and take a look. It might just be the mounting is loose or something is vibrating against it. But, if you're parked in a hot/humid area, that fan may run a lot to help dissipate the heat of operation from the enclosure. To be honest, I've never heard mine running.

zztop

I posted about this issue last year on this DM2852 refer. Not only is mine noisy, but I think it is running down the batteries much faster when I am boondocking. There is no way to turn the fan(s) off, unless you turn the refer switch off.
Then like RB75 says, it still runs for a while longer. Have there been any recalls on this refer? I believe there is a design defect.

danemayer

Have there been any recalls on this refer? I believe there is a design defect.
ZZTop, you could call Dometic or visit their website to check. Recalls usually have to do with safety issues. Annoying designs might be addressed, but probably not recalled.

RickyBetty75,

It seems like there could be several possibilities:
1. Refrigerator is struggling to keep cool - maybe because of high outside temp, maybe bad seals, maybe other issues. Fan runs all the time because the back of the frig is hot.
2. Refrigerator is cooling ok, but fan runs all the time because there's poor ventilation on the back - maybe vents are blocked in some way.
3. Refrigerator is cooling ok, but fan runs all the time because it has a defective or improperly adjusted ventilation thermostat (that controls the fan).
4. Refrigerator is cooling ok, but fan runs all the time because Dometic did not include a thermostatic control on this model.

I'd suggest checking the manual or calling Dometic to ask about #4. If there is a thermostat controlling the fan, it may be covered under the Dometic warranty (which might be longer than 1 year).