Dometic refrigerator - temperature to metric?

wyleyrabbit

Hi Everyone,

I would love to know if there's a way to tell our fridge to display the temperature in metric instead of the default which is fahrenheit. Up here in the great white north, we don't use fahrenheit for anything, and since I grew up learning and using metric, seeing 38 on my fridge is nearly meaningless to us.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Chris

jimtoo

Hi Chris,

Good question. I just looked through the owners manual and don't see anyway to change read out. Why don't you call Dometic USA, 800-544-4881. Have you model # and serial # of you fridge when you call.

Let us know what the answer is.

Jim M

wyleyrabbit

Well that was educational. Just got off the phone with Dometic and was told "unfortunately, at this time there is no way to change the temperature readout to celcius." Dometic's thermostats, air conditioners, and other devices fully support metric but according to the rep I spoke with NONE of their fridges do. This seems like a horrible oversight for a company that sells their products internationally. :(

jimtoo

I agree Chris. You would think with the international sales that are involved they would have it on the fridges also. And a few years ago there was a push to get USA to switch to metric so the U S would be like most of the rest of the world.
Thanks for checking. Maybe you stirred the pot up.

Jim M

RoadJunkie

It is kinda weird there is no metric conversion. However the fridge temperatures really only have about 9-10 values, 32 to 40 (41?), so one can either put up a conversion chart on the fridge or memorize the conversion. A bit of a hassle, but an easy work-around.

wyleyrabbit

Maybe you stirred the pot up.

My wife constantly tells me to NOT stir up the pot. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find out that the electronics they use actually measure in celcius, then their software converts the measured temperature to fahrenheit for display.

I think if enough people request this feature or option, I bet it would be included on future units.

wdk450

I remember reading somewhere that that at least one of the RV refrigerators (Norcold?) was made in Europe, I think Sweden.
I PM'd the poster that there is probably a jumper somewhere on the temperature IC that just needs to have a programming jumper installed/removed. I would think that the IC makers would want to make just 1 temperature scale IC.