Dometic RM1350

We left home a month ago and our refrigerator worked for about 4 days, then the temperature started rising. It got as high as 60 once but mostly hovered in the low 50s. Went to a rally in Michigan and got lots of suggestions as to what might be wrong. After 3 weeks we had it evaluated in Vermont and finally Dometic agreed to a replacement cooling unit that we would have installed when we were in Bangor, ME. After 8 manhours and a new cooling unit we thought we were on our way. Not so! A day later it cooled to 46 and now is on the rise again--currently at 50 degrees. In talking to two different service centers they say they are constantly replacing cooling units in this model. The service center left us a form that suggests you purchase a four year service contract for $89.95 but guess what, it isn't available on the RM 1350. It's very difficult to be on a two month trip with no refrigerator. Our Landmark is a 2011 Rushmore that we have owned for almost 2 years. The warranty on the refrigerator is up in Feburary and then we'll be left with huge repair bills on this refrigerator.

We'd like to hear from others who have had similar problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

billnsue

Gary, we feel your pain. We have a 2011 bighorn 3670RL, our initial 1350 worked great for 18 months, then the temp wouldn't get below the mid to upper 40's then into the 50's. A tech came out did all the standard Dometic checks and Dometic agreed to replace the cooling unit. Worked great for 6 weeks, then again the same scenario. Temps creeping up and again, all the Dometic checks and they once again agreed to replace the cooling unit. When the tech installed the last one I made sure he applied a very liberal coating of the compound they use to transfer the cold to the unit. So far and knock on wood it's been excellent for the past 2 months. Actually better than ever, with 100 degree temps and high humidity I only run it on 4 and the temps typically stays at 34 degree's. Some afternoon's it creeps up to 36-38 but by early afternoon it comes back to 34 and that's with setting it on 4 with the coldest setting being 5. Tried 5 once but it came down to 32 so kicked it back. We all know Dometic has a problem but in my case the third time was a charm!

Last edited by a moderator:

bdunker

Last winter on the way to Florida I had the same problem, Dometic authorized the replacement of the Cooling Unit, during the replacement the mechanic noted that the Mastic (thermal transfer gel) had not been used by Dometic between the Cooling Unit and the Refrigerator, he installed it during replacement and works excellent, recently we were in Las Vegas, the temp hit 112 degrees and our unit never went over 40, and the beer was cold.

rick_debbie_gallant

We left home a month ago and our refrigerator worked for about 4 days, then the temperature started rising. It got as high as 60 once but mostly hovered in the low 50s. Went to a rally in Michigan and got lots of suggestions as to what might be wrong. After 3 weeks we had it evaluated in Vermont and finally Dometic agreed to a replacement cooling unit that we would have installed when we were in Bangor, ME. After 8 manhours and a new cooling unit we thought we were on our way. Not so! A day later it cooled to 46 and now is on the rise again--currently at 50 degrees. In talking to two different service centers they say they are constantly replacing cooling units in this model. The service center left us a form that suggests you purchase a four year service contract for $89.95 but guess what, it isn't available on the RM 1350. It's very difficult to be on a two month trip with no refrigerator. Our Landmark is a 2011 Rushmore that we have owned for almost 2 years. The warranty on the refrigerator is up in Feburary and then we'll be left with huge repair bills on this refrigerator.

We'd like to hear from others who have had similar problems.

I have been seeing a few fifth wheel brands come out with two smaller refrigerators instead of the 1350 or other "4 door" refrigerators. One model had a refer on each side of the stove and cabinet. His and Hers fridges!! sounds like a plan for something different. What ya all think??

wdk450

I have been seeing a few fifth wheel brands come out with two smaller refrigerators instead of the 1350 or other "4 door" refrigerators. One model had a refer on each side of the stove and cabinet. His and Hers fridges!! sounds like a plan for something different. What ya all think??

If I put on the optimist's hat it sounds great - 2 refrigerators!!!

If I put on the pessimist's hat, I would say that RV refrigerators are the most frequent cause of RV fires, and now you are doubling the chances. Also, RV refrigerator problems are probably one of the most frequent RV appliance malfunctions, and you are doubling the chances of that happening.

rick_debbie_gallant

If I put on the optimist's hat it sounds great - 2 refrigerators!!!

If I put on the pessimist's hat, I would say that RV refrigerators are the most frequent cause of RV fires, and now you are doubling the chances. Also, RV refrigerator problems are probably one of the most frequent RV appliance malfunctions, and you are doubling the chances of that happening.

I believe the number of fires that are being blamed on a fridge are somewhat over reported and under investigated as to the exact cause of the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hriker

We have been having a problem with our RM1350 cooling in the electric mode for a couple weeks now. At the Cape May NJ Rally and it no longer works on electric. But does work on gas. Can't figure why it does on gas but not electric. Looked in the frig compartment outside and found a yellow substance that came from what I think holds the coolant. It was also on the side of the trailer. Called my RV tech back home and they said it sounds like the cooling unit went. It was also recommended we not run the frig on gas with the yellow discharge issue as it could cause a fire. Well I'm glad I put that cooler in the basement so we have something to keep stuff cold. The frig is still within the warranty period so it's going in for testing and repair when we return home.

hriker

Update on our fridge. Took it the repair repair shop to have it looked at and we were told the cooling unit is in fact gone and needs to be replaced. The shop called Dometic while we waited and Dometic almost immediately agreed to replace the cooling unit. The cooling unit arrived this past Friday and we took it be installed Saturday. Yesterday they installed the cooling unit and this morning wi got a call that there is a problem. The outside coils were frosting over and the inside of the fridge was warm. They called dometic to determine if we had a bad replacement unit or was there another defective part. They called us back this afternoon and told us its a bad replacement cooling unit and dometic is sending another one. It should be here Friday and they will install it next Monday. Crossing our fingers that this fixes the problem and we have a fridge again.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Harry, thanks for the update. At least they seem to be keeping you in the loop and are making sure the repairs are done properly.

DonnyB007

What about installing a cheap small electric fan pointed behind your fridge at the coils to help circulate the air better.

hriker

While the RV shop is replacing the cooling unit I am having an additional fan installed. And after they are done I will be installing two additional fans in the top compartment to assist in pulling the heat out.

rick_debbie_gallant

While the RV shop is replacing the cooling unit I am having an additional fan installed. And after they are done I will be installing two additional fans in the top compartment to assist in pulling the heat out.

Good luck on that one. Gary BUXTON (the OP of this thread) and I worked for literally weeks upon weeks while we were out east this summer. Fans were added, seals done, the "flap" was cleaned and tweaked, the cooling unit replaced, the area above the refer was tweaked with baffles etc, etc... And after all this work, which proved useless the last I heard it still does not work. The Buxton's finally went and bought a
Mini fridge to use and between my fridge, freezer and my mini fridge we completed our six week tour of the
Maritimes. I am thinking the 1350 would not even make a good boat anchor.

bpe

Before I suffered with this much aggravation I would install energy efficient residential refer, inverter and add a battery. End of problems and a better working unit. Really don't understand with the efficiency of new refers why they are not used solely.

hriker

Our fridge has been working great now for a few weeks. Rock solid at 35 degrees on setting 3. I had the repair shop add an additional fan while it was out of the trailer. I later looked in the fridge compartment and found dometic shopped the new cooling unit with 2 fans. So there are now 3 fans to assist removing heat from the fridge compartment. If that doesn't keep things cool nothing will.