Don't be afraid to use the slider hitch if you have it and feel the need

jbeletti

I'm at the Streetsboro, OH KOA and yesterday, I was taking a walk looking at the other RVers and just being friendly. Saw a guy doing some cleaning near his short-bed truck's back window when I notice part of the glass missing.

Oops! I asked him if he bumped the front cap of his 5th wheel (not a Heartland) into it. He did. Then I noticed he had a slider hitch. I asked him if he had used it. He said he had not. He felt maybe he should, but before he knew it, he was jacked around in a minute and pop!

Moral of the story is "get a Heartland" or use that slider hitch if you feel it's going to be a close call.

dfk009

Jim, New Heartland trailers with the 88 degree cap, will still knock out back windows on a short bed! Get a slider hitch!!

jbeletti

Jim, New Heartland trailers with the 88 degree cap, will still knock out back windows on a short bed! Get a slider hitch!!

Don - at greater than 88 degrees? Or are you saying 88 degrees or less and you have popped one out?

ILH

Jim, New Heartland trailer with the 88 degree cap, will still knock out back windows on a short bed! Get a slider hitch!!

Do you mean a true short bed, or a 6'6" bed? I don't have a slider and so far I haven't felt I've needed one.

dfk009

Yes Jim, it was less than 88 degrees in a Army Corp of Eng. park. The trailer was too large for their small campground. It happened backing into the site, on a "banked" curve. Found a used glass, and put new tint on it, and it is like new again. Will be looking at a slider hitch now. Trailer not injured!!

jbeletti

Thanks for sharing Don. I've rarely heard of something like this. Wondering if the banked curve put the upper portion of the cap closer to the cab than if you were on more level road?

dfk009

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty crew cab w/factory short bed, Husky 16K hitch. It has been very close before on level flat ground, but I always caught it in time. So this is the reasoning for getting a slider (pullrite automatic glide sounds very interesting).

Last edited:

ParkIt

Thanks for sharing Don. I've rarely heard of something like this. Wondering if the banked curve put the upper portion of the cap closer to the cab than if you were on more level road?
Wondering the same thing, torque transfer could pop out a window. Seems like an interesting thing to research.
I watched as the short bed hauler that delivered our BC put a full 90º angle to miss the holly trees with no stress or bind...yep...he has a SuperGlide in the bed and adjusted it about 3" before the back in.

jnbhobe

Wondering the same thing, torque transfer could pop out a window. Seems like an interesting thing to research.
I watched as the short bed hauler that delivered our BC put a full 90º angle to miss the holly trees with no stress or bind...yep...he has a SuperGlide in the bed and adjusted it about 3" before the back in.

Super-glide is self adjusting, no need to adjust anything when backing up. Got one for a Ford I'll sell at a good price.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Yes Jim, it was less than 88 degrees in a Army Corp of Eng. park. The trailer was too large for their small campground. It happened backing into the site, on a "banked" curve. Found a used glass, and put new tint on it, and it is like new again. Will be looking at a slider hitch now. Trailer not injured!!

I had a banked back in condition when I kept the trailer at my son's house. It will put the trailer cap closer to the rear window at around 80 degrees or more. Had to watch very closely when backing when I had the shortbed. On flat ground, no problem though - even at 90+ degrees.

EDIT - DISCLAIMER: Your conditions may vary - so watch closely when nearing 75+ degrees. I have had banked conditions that put the siderail of the truck very close to the bottom of the front cap.

jbeletti

So what I am hearing is:

The 88 degree turn with the Heartland front cap does work "on flat ground".

It's when you get much beyond 88 degrees and/or are on uneven/unlevel/banked ground where the cap can be closer to the truck cab and "can in-fact" make contact with the cab/glass.

These are important distinctions and good info for any who pull with a short bed truck.

So, to my initial point of the post, if you have a slider and think you need to use it in a specific situation, "do slide it back" - just in case.

porthole

Retired
So what I am hearing is:

The 88 degree turn with the Heartland front cap does work "on flat ground".

It's when you get much beyond 88 degrees and/or are on uneven/unlevel/banked ground where the cap can be closer to the truck cab and "can in-fact" make contact with the cab/glass.

These are important distinctions and good info for any who pull with a short bed truck.

So, to my initial point of the post, if you have a slider and think you need to use it in a specific situation, "do slide it back" - just in case.

88 degree turn for most works well.

BUT - toy hauler owners remember - you are 5" wider, that is 2.5" less clearance on the tight ones..

The trailer will absolutely be closer to the truck cab window if you are backing & turning up an incline (any 5th wheel)
Most trucks cannot come close to the critical point while driving forward. Almost all require backing to get into this position.

88 degree is a moot point if your hitch is not installed correctly.
88 degree is a moot point on a toy hauler with at least a 2006 GMC short bed.

The picture below is my trailer when picked up. I tried this in the MOR/ryde parking lot since it was gravel and allowed for some tire slip.
This is at 90 degrees AND my PullRite SuperGlide has slid back 14"

Another spot to keep an eye on is if you are backing up and over an incline, turning or not, is the clearance between the truck's bed rail and bottom of the over hang.
My long bed truck-trailer just kissed backing into the slight swale that was at Goshen at the last rally. Didn't even know it until I saw the tell tale white mark on the black cap.

If you need a slider you just cant beat the well built auto feature of a SuperGlide, especially the 18K version.
(and I'll bring a MOR/ryde pin box SuperGlide capture plate to Goshen if someone needs or is upgrading the pin box)

Attachments

• D30_4497.JPG
    D30_4497.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 42
  • D30_4498.JPG
    D30_4498.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 42