"Don't leave unattended"?

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I agree with Kitty. My dogs don't bother anyone but people don't keep thier kids from running around and cutting threw my little camp site it happend just this last Monday.Then when you ask them not to do it they get smart my dogs don't get smart or talk back. It all boils down to parenting you have good and bad.

noobee

I agree with Kitty. My dogs don't bother anyone but people don't keep thier kids from running around and cutting threw my little camp site it happend just this last Monday.Then when you ask them not to do it they get smart my dogs don't get smart or talk back. It all boils down to parenting you have good and bad.

Two questions:
Why is there so many yappers in RV parks, when just about all dog owners claim that there dogs aren't yappers?

Why are we talking about children's when the subject is about leaving pets unattended? BTW: I can take the children's noise over a yapping dog!

CS

jpdoggett

Two questions:
Why is there so many yappers in RV parks, when just about all dog owners claim that there dogs aren't yappers?

Why are we talking about children's when the subject is about leaving pets unattended? BTW: I can take the children's noise over a yapping dog!

CS
I take it you do not have dogs. We have two Mini Schnauzer and yes from time to time they will bark but if we have to leave in the RV we leave the tv on and they do very well we also have a device that will sprays citronella up in thier face works well oldest one took a little longer but this works so good most of the time we don't have to put them on. I have to disagree with the childern better than dogs you can do something with a dog but you can't do something with the child

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I am not sure what parks you go to but I have never had to sit and listen to dogs bark.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I am not sure what parks you go to but I have never had to sit and listen to dogs bark.

I agree. In all the RV parks I have ever been to, dogs were the very least of the noise makers, in fact I can not recall ever having a dog really disturb me when RV'ing. But on the other hand, children, motorcycles, rude adults, loud trucks, televisions, radios, etc...etc, those have disturbed me.

SilverRhino

I agree. In all the RV parks I have ever been to, dogs were the very least of the noise makers, in fact I can not recall ever having a dog really disturb me when RV'ing. But on the other hand, children, motorcycles, rude adults, loud trucks, televisions, radios, etc...etc, those have disturbed me.

From our experiences.......I would have to definitely agree with everything said by Mountainlovers!

It all really comes down to one of the major problems we face today.....Lack of respect for others! People need to learn responsibility.....for their actions, their children and their pets! Just my feelings on this.....

Travel Safe!

noobee

It all really comes down to one of the major problems we face today.....Lack of respect for others! People need to learn responsibility.....for their actions, their children and their pets! Just my feelings on this.....

I totally agree! CS

RanCarr

Most all the campgrounds have something or other that says to the effect of "do no leave your pets unattended".

Do they really expect you to stay glued to the RV the entire time you are there? Or do they tend to mean not to be left unattended outside?

From what I'm seeing on these Forums dogs are becoming a real issue in some campgrounds. Dogs inside the camper, or outside, are a real nuisance when they bark for hours at a time. No one should be subjected to that either in a campground or where they live. People near these inconsiderate dog owners complain. If you have a dog that stays quiet while you're gone there would be no need to stay with it every minute. But if you have a barker than it's your responsibility to stay with it and keep it quiet. I read somewhere that screeching parrots are another noise nuisance. That has not happened to us so far. I wont even get into the dog owners who can't be bothered to pick up their dog's feces.

jpdoggett

That's why we have cats. They don't bark or whine.

But do you walk your cats on a leash or just let them out of the RV to do thier thing. We have some in our park in Texas that think that cats don't have to be on a leash and let them go everywhere

back2nature

But do you walk your cats on a leash or just let them out of the RV to do thier thing. We have some in our park in Texas that think that cats don't have to be on a leash and let them go everywhere

Actually, yes. Our cats are house cats and are not allowed outside, even at home. Where we live, there are coyotes and bobcats and our cats would be dinner for them. One is a Bombay and walks very well on a lease. He gets excited when he sees his harness and leash. Some of my friends, that have dogs, love to come over and walk Jet on a leash on our property. You don't walk him, he walks you. The other, Piper, just tolerates the leash, mostly sits with it on. We are are this five week trip right now, and they get out, near the RV, every couple of days for a few minutes.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Or the Ninny that complains about everything that everyone does, do not do...or anything else "they" do not like. Courtesy and consideration is a two way street...and I see ****ed little of it anywhere.

dalspot

This thread has really gotten off track!

Thank you to the people who responded to my original question.

Karen

tgreening

That's why we have cats. They don't bark or whine.

As far as you know. :) My mother has cats which for the most part spend their day in relative silence, but the instant my mother leaves the house one of those cats proceeds to wail his brains out. The little bugger can be heard through all 3 floors of the house.

Neither of my dogs are incessant barkers, but will bark if something "disturbs" them. They bark a minute or so and if whatever bugged them doesn't pan out to be a threat they go back to sleep. I've had no qualms whatsoever about leaving the oldest unattended for extended periods. Our newest pup hasn't yet gotten to the point that he is trustworthy enough to be left alone for more than an hour or so which brings up a question that may add something to this thread.

For the folks that need or desire to take their pets with them when leaving the campground, what do you do with them when you want to go into the restaurant, or store, whatever, when it's 95 degrees outside?

noobee

For the folks that need or desire to take their pets with them when leaving the campground, what do you do with them when you want to go into the restaurant, or store, whatever, when it's 95 degrees outside?

Get a sitter!!!!! Just like folks with youngsters that want an evening out!!!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
which brings up a question that may add something to this thread.

We generally leave Suzi in the rig. If we do take her with us for whatever reason and leave her in the truck/car on a hot day, we will leave the car running with the A/C running. We each have keyless remotes and an extra set of keys. We only would do this for a shopping or similar short term situation. Not like going to a movie or anything longer than a half hour or so.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If it is necessary to leave our dog in our truck we will leave it running as Ray indicated, however I have a remote start, by Clifford Alarm System, that will let my truck run for up to 1 hour, then it turns off. I can restart it if it turns off while we are eating or whatever. In Texas it is against he law to leave your vehicle running with the keys in it. A lot of thefts happen and also some leave their children in a running vehicle and makes the problem even worse.

BC

tgreening

Get a sitter!!!!! Just like folks with youngsters that want an evening out!!!!

That's a bit problematic when you are a 1000 miles from home some place you've never been before. I used a kennel when at disney and while the facility must have been gold plated judging by the cost, I was also comfortable with the quality of care. Not so much with other kennels I've visited.

Besides, it isnt always practical to find a sitter, kennel, etc when you just want to make a trip to walmart, dinner, etc.

My metod so far has been to either stay in the vehcile while the wife took care of whatever, or I take pains to park where my truck is visible to me when dining and leave the A/C running. If none of that is practical we switch off on guard duty, meaning one of us is making periodic trips back to the vehicle to check on things.

Best case scenario is the youngest pooch grows up and becomes trustworthy and can be left alone with his big brother in the camper. Thankfully he appears to be getting there.

jpdoggett

Actually, yes. Our cats are house cats and are not allowed outside, even at home. Where we live, there are coyotes and bobcats and our cats would be dinner for them. One is a Bombay and walks very well on a lease. He gets excited when he sees his harness and leash. Some of my friends, that have dogs, love to come over and walk Jet on a leash on our property. You don't walk him, he walks you. The other, Piper, just tolerates the leash, mostly sits with it on. We are are this five week trip right now, and they get out, near the RV, every couple of days for a few minutes.

Thats great and I want to thanks you I love Dogs and Cats we only have dogs but we have friends with cats that think that world belongs to thier cats as I told one I don't take my dog to your site and let him do his thing why would you let your cat go anywhere it wants to (some with dogs do this to)