Draft around Bed in Big Horn

Wharton

When we camp in the winter we feel a draft arund the bed. Before tackling it I will ask the forum if anyone else has this problem and have they resolved it?

Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I get what I think you are getting.
I believe that it is just cold radiating from the windows and the slide wall. Feels like a draft.

Peace
Dave

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
X3 about the draft from the windows. But in ours I discovered a gap at each corner where the vertical rubber seal meets the horizontal rubber seal at each corner at the top of the slide. At first I just used a kitchen towel at each corner to stop the air infiltration. To ultimately solve it I went to lowes and bought two lengths of foam water pipe insulation, taped the ends together to make one long piece, cut it to length just under the width if the faux trim, partially closed the slide, using gorilla tape fastened the foam to the wall above the slide. Now when I open the slide the foam compresses and fills the space between the rubber seals transition and the top of the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

X3 about the draft from the windows. But in ours I discovered a gap at each corner where the vertical rubber seal meets the horizontal rubber seal at each corner at the top of the slide. At first I just used a kitchen towel at each corner to stop the air infiltration. To ultimately solve it I went to lowes and bought two lengths of foam water pipe insulation, taped the ends together to make one long piece, cut it to length just under the width if the faux trim, partially closed the slide, using gorilla tape fastened the foam to the wall above the slide. Now when I open the slide the foam compresses and fills the space between the rubber seals transition and the top of the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a similar thing for my kitchen slide after I saw morning sunshine streaming under the slide bottom. The outer slide seals aren't that great anyways, and the 2 rollers have taken a chunk out of the slide lip at their 2 places. I was more worried about air conditioning cooling loss this time of year. I found some 2 inch square foam weatherstripping for mounting window air conditioners at Walmart. I cut this stuff to length, and used Loktite StiksAll adhesive to glue the pieces of foam together to get a long enough strip for the length of the interior slide bottom, and 2 short right angle pieces of foam for the end sides. During extended stays I stuff this under the interior slide bottom after putting out the slides, and remove it before putting in the slides.

sengli

I had my to remove the plywood on the bed to service the slide mechanism last year. While I had this plywood out I found two spots in the floor/ frame... where I could look thru the floor and see the ground via the LP enclosure area. So I foamed them shut. We also camp when it is cold out, and I agree with the radiated cold theory. These are not houses, they are campers, with slides. Which equate to large holes in the sidewalls, seals or no seals.

Kbvols

I too often feel a cold Draft in the bedroom but it has nothing to do with the RV....lol. couldn't resist.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wharton

We have solved our problem. Had the trailer home and took apart the bed. There are 2 holes where wires come through, a small one and about a 3-4" one. There was no foam in either hole. We could feel the air blowing through. We foamed it up and hopefully that will solve the problem.

rxbristol

We have solved our problem. Had the trailer home and took apart the bed. There are 2 holes where wires come through, a small one and about a 3-4" one. There was no foam in either hole. We could feel the air blowing through. We foamed it up and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Thanks for the info...I'll look closer at mine.