duramax tuner?

jayc

Legendary Member
When I had a 2002 GMC with the Duramax, I added an Edge programmer that I absolutely loved! Much more power and better mileage to boot.

porthole

Retired
I had a 2006 GMC DMax

Added:
4" turbo back exhaust
AFE cold air inductuion
Changed AFE intake to Banks with forced air scoop
Banks 6 Gun Tuner with PDA programmer
Kennedy diesel fuel pressure spring
Kennedy diesel headlight wiring harness
Titan 52 gallon fuel tank
Air Lift air bags
Bilstein Shocks
Magpul large capacity aluminum trans pan
Magpul large capacity aluminun differential cover
Kennedy Diesel trans shift kit
3 Gauges on the pillar, boost, differential temp, don't remember the third - scratch that - pyro
And there was more

Just my opinions, but:

Definite improvements
Kennedy diesel headlight wiring harness
Titan 52 gallon fuel tank
Air Lift air bags

Feel good improvements
Bilstein Shocks
Magpul large capacity aluminum trans pan
Magpul large capacity aluminun differential cover
Kennedy Diesel trans shift kit
3 Gauges on the pillar

Only improvement was a lighter wallet
4" turbo back exhaust
AFE cold air induction
Changed AFE intake to Banks with forced air scoop
Banks 6 Gun Tuner with PDA programmer
Kennedy diesel fuel pressure spring

But, given all the work, level 6 on the programmer was fun for short bursts

Last edited:

MurrayN.

I also have an Edge tuner on my 03 Duramax, and am very happy with it, but to be honest with you I have never used anything else. I know that some tuners work better on certain makes of trucks than others. Most guys seem very happy with the Edge products on GM's. I added 75hp to my truck and my mileage went up. Night and day difference in performance, but put in an exhaust temp gauge so you don't overdue it.

Mike, have an 08 also. 4 inch turbo back, sct tuner. This eliminated my dpf filter. Way more power and torque 440 hp and 850 ft lbs torque. Picked up 2 mpg (Canadian) hwy empty. Aprox 15% fuel savings towing. Next mod is BD Diesel exhaust manifold on drivers side and larger transmission pan and dif cover.

porthole

Retired
Next mod is BD Diesel exhaust manifold on drivers side

Forgot in my list above, I also did that. The manifold is another item you would probably only see a benefit on a dyno.

But, I do like the way it at least makes the exhaust equal, and it allowed me to to simply add another pyrometer.

ADIRKS30

I suggest leaving your truck all stock unless you have lots to spend on repairs. I have lots of friends who use/used tuners, I have used tuners. If you want your truck to last as long as possible, leave it stock.

jayc

Legendary Member
I don't know ADIRKS30, I put over 227,000 miles on my GMC and the only reason I got rid of it was because of a dealer repair mistake and the fact that I wanted a Landmark and couldn't pull it safely with a 2500. I bought a Ram and as soon as the factory warranty runs out I'll likely get another programmer for it.

Gizzy

I suggest leaving your truck all stock unless you have lots to spend on repairs. I have lots of friends who use/used tuners, I have used tuners. If you want your truck to last as long as possible, leave it stock.

That's my plan.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I vote for stock and don't want a plethora of gauges, settings and readouts to fret over. If I did, I'd train to be a fighter pilot (if I weren't an old fart).

mobilcastle

My son found out the same thing. I would leave it alone JMHO.

rickandcindy

Rock Hound
2008 Duramax with PPE hot race tuner, lvl 2 (90 HP extra). Turbo back exhaust, dpf/ cat delete. We camp in desert allot and didn't want dpf causing fire on dry grass. good power increase

Lynn1130

When I was considering a tuner a GM tech told me that if I wanted more power it might be better to buy a truck with more power (difficult to find if you own a Duramax). His thoughts were that the truck was built to take what it had in it. Adding more was asking for trouble (especially with the transmission).

My cousin has an 08 Ford SuperDuty with a tuner, larger exhaust etc and cannot keep up with me up the mountains. You pretty much have all the power you need to pull the correct load for your truck.

I do have an EFI Live "correction" for the over sized tires and larger fuel tank but that is it.

Also, if you have any warranty left on a truck a tuner will kill that quickly should you go in for a repair. GM has gotten very nasty about repairs and tunes.

caissiel

Always used a tuner for my 6.0l Ford for the past 7 years. Did not care about warranty as I figured Hypertech ECon was going to protect my truck. And it did.
I never do run the truck harder then it should as I dropped the max torque from 100% to 80% and I can do most hills on OD without loosing my CC like the previous GM did. And it was the bad 6.5L diesel that served me well for 9 years.

But I have the 6 speed standard that is a big advantage when tuning.
On level 3 the clutch will slip at 2600 RPM.
Hypertech assured me that the clutch is starting to wear as all their testing have been on the OEM clutches.

With truck on stock the trailer sure feels heavy and the mpg is through the roof.
Used stock setting last winter to release the turbo vanes that were sticking. I was able to run the turbo through the full pressure at any little hill in Texas, while programmed it never does because it tend to protect the engine.
And it worked within 200 miles. But going to do a good cleaning when the truck can be parked long enough to take the turbo out.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

MatcoMN

by far the best tuner for the Dmax is EFI live. You can shift between tunes on the fly, and the installer can custom tune your vehicle to suit your needs. I have 5 settings; stock, eco, heavy tow, light tow, performance. The performance setting gets me 120+ HP and ft lbs of torque. I have it set so it de throttles before shifting to save the stock tranny. If your in MN or nearby Jag's Pro Truck does awesome work!