Durango to Ouray, CO

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
De-winterized today.
Double-checked the water heater anode rod (replaced when winterizing last fall)
Added bleach solution to the fresh tank.
Towed the rig about 7 miles to slosh the bleach around the tank and seat new lug nuts.
Tightened the lug nuts.
Started up the fridge on electric and tested LP operation while towing.
Put rust reformer on the frame on both sides.
Changed batteries in the RVLock.
Checked air pressure in tires.

We'll spend a couple of days in Ouray, CO next week and then the Alto, NM Rally the week after.

Uh, Dan, what way you going to/leaving Ouray?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Looks like the direct route from Durango to Ouray is 550 north. Our Garmin RV 760 shows that route as ok. The Rand McNally Trucker Atlas shows it as a truck route with a low clearance of 14'2" near Ouray.

But the 12 miles south of Ouray are also listed as very dangerous and maybe not a good choice for a large RV.
Pagosa to Ouray.jpg
So who has driven this route and what do you think?

The alternate looks like it goes through Cortez and then north on 145 to 62. Is the extra 93 miles worthwhile?
Pagosa to Cortez to Ouray.jpg

TravelTiger

Re: What did you do to your camper today?

So you're saying the extra 95 miles going through Cortez to 146/62 is worth it?

Dan, it's up to you, but if it were us, yes we'd take the slightly longer route to avoid the hours of white knuckles. We've seen someone pulling a long airstream on that route, and that looked too scary for me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olcoon

We've driven it...but not with the rig. Like Erika said, it is doable, BUT I wouldn't want to do it pulling the camper, & our coach is only 30' long. A lot of curves and a looong fall if you don't make it around a curve.

SNOKING

We did the complete loop CCW from Mesa Verde without the trailer. Passed our friends going the other direction on the million dollar highway section towing their 29' 5th wheel. Would not take our 39'4" trailer that way. Go to Mesa Verde and see the cliff dwellings then on around CW. Chris

TedS

The route is not for the faint of heart. I have driven it with a 28-ft 5er. I remember a tight right hand corner just as you get to the downhill leg to Ouray. Keep remembering to turn wide. I will take that route later this year to go to Gunnison. Semis regularly use that route.

RVing is an adventure.

Az_Ernie

Dan,

We've pulled our 36 ft. Bighorn up and back from Silverton to Quray several times in the last 3yrs, it's a piece of cake. As long as the road is clear of snow or ice, we would not have any hesitation at all traveling this route. The only time we've ever had any concerns at all is when we did it at the same time there was a bicycle race/rally going on, with this route only being one lane in both directions, passing bikes became hairy at times. I'll admit, this stretch of road it's not for the faint of heart, with the lack of guard rails in places and narrow shoulders, it could be intimidating to some.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I will take that route later this year to go to Gunnison.

Where are you staying in Gunnison?

We go to the Blue Mesa RV Ranch and love the place!

We will be there in August for a week (haven't set the date yet).

ProwleratBlueMesa-P1010116.jpg ProwlerBlueMesaFall-P1010381.jpg

ProwlerBlueMesa-P1000712.jpg BlueMesaBoat-P1010814.jpg

olcoon

FYI, at least one scene of the movie True Grit was filmed near Blue Mesa RV Park. It was the part where they crossed the river on the ferry, & Mattie swam her horse across the river. This was before the dam was built for the lake. Several scenes were also filmed in Ridgeway, several were filmed near Owl Creek Pass outside Ridgeway, and the courthouse scene was actually the courthouse in Ouray. During the filming John Wayne liked to hang out in a pool hall/bar in Ouray, and became friends with the owner. When the filming was done, the Duke gave the hat he had been wearing to the owner. When we were there a few years ago, the pool hall had been changed to a bar/restaurant, with the same owner, & the he had the hat hanging in the bar. Here is a LINK telling where the filming was done.

TravelTiger

Here are a few pics from our trip in 2008. We stayed in Durango and took a day trip to Silverton and Ouray. These were taken while driving our (dirty) TT tow vehicle at the time, a Toyota 4Runner.

IMG_0599.jpg IMG_0596.jpg IMG_0595.jpg IMG_0594.jpg IMG_0592.jpg IMG_0590.jpg

TravelTiger

IMG_1620.jpg IMG_1616.jpg IMG_1614.jpg IMG_1608.jpg IMG_1606.jpg IMG_1583.jpgIMG_5582.jpg

Here are a few more pics of the road, from 2009 -- including a semi that wrecked just before Silverton.

brianlajoie

We went through there 2.5 years ago. Our BH is 35' and length seemed not the issue. It is the width of the road. You make sure you hug the center line and go slow down the hill side towards Ouray - you will be on the outside of the road. I wish I had a 1.5 gear, because 2nd gear seemed too fast going around the hair pin turns. My biggest surprise was going around a blind curve and coming head on with a semi.

brianlajoie

FYI, at least one scene of the movie True Grit was filmed near Blue Mesa RV Park. It was the part where they crossed the river on the ferry, & Mattie swam her horse across the river. This was before the dam was built for the lake. Several scenes were also filmed in Ridgeway, several were filmed near Owl Creek Pass outside Ridgeway, and the courthouse scene was actually the courthouse in Ouray. QUOTE]

Sorry - The dam for Blue Mesa reservoir was completed Oct. 19, 1966. The film was shot in late 1968. The reservoir took three years to fill.

danemayer

We ended up going through Durango to Cortez, then Highway 145 to 62 and south 9 miles to Ouray. While in Ouray we took the truck along the Million Dollar Highway (550) to Silverton and back.

Today we towed the trailer south on 550. I found it very doable taking the rough spots at 10 or 15 mph, as directed by the trucking signs. Traffic was fairly heavy in both directions today - much heavier than yesterday.

So as it turns out, for me, the direct route works.

And while I mostly rely on the engine brake and transmission, having disc brakes greatly reduces stress because when I need to slow down, I can slow down without any drama.

Million-Dollar-Highway-11000.jpg