Dust cap question

Lance & Jo

I need to change out the original plastic caps on the wheels as they are cracking and basically self destructing. I ordered replacement metal caps from Lippert but when I went to change them out I found the metal caps to be over 1/4 inch larger in diameter than the plastic. Lippert maintains they are the correct ones for our trailer but for the life of me I can't figure out what size hammer to use to make them fit.

So basic question is has anybody else had this problem and how to deal with it?

lwmcguir

Ours came with SS covers for the axles. Axle covers come in several diameters depending on the wheel center opening. Sounds like they switched wheels along the way. I have bought different sizes over the years over the net as Chev/Ford had different center opening diameters. Aftermarket wheels do as well so measure and you will see what size you need to order. You are looking for Axle covers not dust caps. The dust cap is what inserts into the hub.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Lance, are you talking about the plastic caps on the brake drum itself or the ones that screw to the wheel?? Look at this link and see if your wheels are here. I lost a cap and got the replacement from these people.

http://www.series06.com/

Lance & Jo

Well I got the name right, guess was confusing when I said "wheel". I am indeed looking for info on the dust caps that fit into the brake drum. Original is approx 2.434 while Lippert supplied replacement has a diameter of approx 2.72. Looks like I need to get the new ones going really fast in order to fit them into a hole that is 1/4 inch smaller!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Lance, take the dust covers with you to an auto parts store. I bet you can find one that fits. In 08 something must have changed. My 07 has metal caps with a rubber plug in the middle to remove to grease the bearings.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes Bob they did make some changes. My 08 came with the plastic dust covers. They were cracked right from the start. Lippert supplied new metal ones as replacement.
Your auto parts store suggestion is a good idea for replacements.

Peace
Dave

lwmcguir

Most all farm supply stores carry trailer repairs and several dust cover sizes. I have only found two sizes with the rubber insert for the easy lube hubs. Any large city will have a few places that will have the size you need. The axle weight rating requires the different size covers. 7 & 8 K are larger than the 6 K hubs. Napa stores have them as well.

Gary521

I called Lippert and they sent me the wrong size too. Mine are 6000# axles. I finally just ordered off the web site and got the correct size. After receiving the dust covers, I had difficulty putting them on the drum. Apparently, the dust cap was not manufactured correctly. I had to hammer the lip down on the anvil end of a vice to make them fit. Probably came from China like a lot of their parts. Yes, my plastic ones were broken from the get-go. If you go to an auto parts store, you may not get the ones with the rubber insert for axle greasing.

Lance & Jo

Thanks for all the help, finally convinced Lippert service dept. that a 1/4 inch oversized cap was just too much challenge for my 2 lb hammer. The replacement caps look to be just a couple thousands over, will know for sure in a couple days when we get stopped again for long enough to replace them. The next step was to try auto stores but just didn't want to pay twice for them.