Dynamic wheel balancing ...

StevieWonder

I've used these on my various motorcycles with awesome results.
Anybody used these on a 5th wheel trailer?

Seem reasonable vs classic balancing issues and costs. Once and forget it.

brianharrison

Are you referring to "on-vehicle balancing" vs conventional dynamic balancing? I have not seen an on-vehicle balancing machine for quite a while in tire shops/garages.

Where possible I use RoadForce balancing (like a Hunter GSP700 machine) to balance out tire imperfections. It does most of the things the old "on-vehicle" machines used to do except compensate for mismouting on the vehicle (ie hub centric vs bolt centric, for example).

Brian

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Are you referring to "on-vehicle balancing" vs conventional dynamic balancing? I have not seen an on-vehicle balancing machine for quite a while in tire shops/garages.

Where possible I use RoadForce balancing (like a Hunter GSP700 machine) to balance out tire imperfections. It does most of the things the old "on-vehicle" machines used to do except compensate for mismouting on the vehicle (ie hub centric vs bolt centric, for example).

Brian

The Hunter system is the only way to tell if the new tires you bought and had spin balanced are good. I recently bought 6 new tires for my truck and they did the Coats spin balancing. But the ride was terrible. Had another place do the Hunter and found several of the tires had values so high that they could not be corrected. Goodyear agreed to replace all six tires. In essence, if the road force measurements are off, the tire almost bounces down the road due to mold and belt imperfections, even if it's been spin balanced.

In the future, I won't buy tires from any place that does not have the Hunter equipment.

porthole

Retired
Steve you are you referring to"bead balancing" by any chance?

I have the "Equal" product in the Cyclone tires and as far as I can tell it is just fine.
I have considered using Dyna beads in the bike for next season.

On the truck I have also considered dyna or equal, but it gets pricey when talking 6 heavier tires.

as a side note, last year when I had my rear outer wheels replaced due to corrosion ruing the finsh ( and will be replacing again next week fo rthe same issue) I had the dealer not balance teh wheels, figuing I would use the beads in those two for starters.

Never felt a balance issue and never added the beads.

StevieWonder

Dynamic full-time balancing is different than one-time dynamic balancing which WILL change over time with normal wear. Dynabeads are small glass-like beads that are inserted in the tire and use centripital force to distribute the beads within the tire during rotation. That means that as tire wear and other items alter the tire's center of gravity, the beads move naturally to offset that imbalance ... on a real time, full time balance.

I've used these on motorcycle tires which are more noticeable because of their size relative to the size of the vehicle. They work GREAT. I'm seriously contemplating using them on my trailer once I get those nasty E rated tires replaced with more appropriate G rated rubber.

jcrayford

I used to use PJ1 Balance Plus in my GSXR-1100. It is more of a gel type substance that would balance and supposedly plug small punctures (never tested the punctures) but I can tell you that the balancing part was bang on. Ran my bike *slightly* over the speed limit a few times and the steering was crystal clear all the way up to the end of the rev limiter.... I mean so crystal smooth that hands were optional at elevated speeds. Only problem with the PJ1 was if the bike sat for a day or 2, the first 1/2 mile you could feel a small vibration while the gel was distributing itself, then nothing but smoothness, just like glass.

Because of the dynamic balancing effect, the gel continuously adjusted. Came around the corner one day and locked up the back tire hard (and the front tire was heavy on the brakes too) because of a deer.... As soon as the tire started rolling again, the re-balance occurred and I was back to running true.... Wen I really wanted to be stupid as the tire was wearing out, I'd lock up the back brake to purposely create a flat spot. The PJ1 never let me down and always re-balanced immediately.

Now I'm running dynabeads in my SUV and they have the same balancing effects as the PJ1. If I could find the PJ1 up here in Canada locally, I'd rather run that in the tires.

I think that if you have a product that continuously balances for the life of the tire, you would never have to worry about the tire going out of balance...

J.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lwmcguir

We use Dyna Beads in all the tires that we consider critical. No problems of any kind and the only time there is an issue is if we have to repair one. Keep extra packs of beads for that occasion. Trucks, Trailers with 16" and larger tires all have them.