Electric Brakes Weak

Ridges

Need some help, advise or suggestions. I have a 2017 Heartland Torque, T31. I pull it with a 2021 Ram 2500 gaser and use the OEM brake controller to supply braking power to the trailer. In the past, the gain on the brake controller had been set to 5. At this setting, the trailer brakes would literally stop the truck when letting the truck roll ahead at 10 mph. On a recent trip, I could feel the trailer pushing the truck during braking. I have adjusted the gain up to 10 and only get a small amount of braking at the trailer. I assumed the brakes needed adjusting. I did that. The adjustment of the brakes are perfect but the brakes will not provide the same amount of stopping power. I pulled the wheel hubs off the right side to check the brake pads and to check for any grease contamination. Brake pads have more than 1/8 of an inch of material left, the magnets looked pretty good, the drums we not worn or show any signs of damage. I cleaned everything up and reassembled. Still only a small amount of braking. You can feel and hear the brakes functioning when the truck brake is applied so I know they are getting some power. I had a friend hook his F250 up to the trailer and the feel of the trailer brakes using his truck was the same as on mine, so not the brake controller. I have exhausted everything I know to try. I am not very electrically inclined so if there is an electrical troubleshooting suggestion, I might need it explained to me in simple terms.

Dahillbilly

over time brake shoes can & will glaze over from heat & loose their braking ability. With a test light or voltmeter you could check each wheel to make sure each wheel is getting voltage. Make sure the magnets haven't worn down also.

wdk450

Hollandt

Need some help, advise or suggestions. I have a 2017 Heartland Torque, T31. I pull it with a 2021 Ram 2500 gaser and use the OEM brake controller to supply braking power to the trailer. In the past, the gain on the brake controller had been set to 5. At this setting, the trailer brakes would literally stop the truck when letting the truck roll ahead at 10 mph. On a recent trip, I could feel the trailer pushing the truck during braking. I have adjusted the gain up to 10 and only get a small amount of braking at the trailer. I assumed the brakes needed adjusting. I did that. The adjustment of the brakes are perfect but the brakes will not provide the same amount of stopping power. I pulled the wheel hubs off the right side to check the brake pads and to check for any grease contamination. Brake pads have more than 1/8 of an inch of material left, the magnets looked pretty good, the drums we not worn or show any signs of damage. I cleaned everything up and reassembled. Still only a small amount of braking. You can feel and hear the brakes functioning when the truck brake is applied so I know they are getting some power. I had a friend hook his F250 up to the trailer and the feel of the trailer brakes using his truck was the same as on mine, so not the brake controller. I have exhausted everything I know to try. I am not very electrically inclined so if there is an electrical troubleshooting suggestion, I might need it explained to me in simple terms.
I would suggest checking the left side. I had only one hub with grease on the shoes and the braking was significantly less than normal.

Ridges

Thank you all for the suggestions. Looks I have some more options. I never considered the possibility that the magnets may have deteriorated.