Electrical Cord Length

Wharton

Several times we have been caught(lack of thinking) stopping our trailer too far from the electric box and the cord wouldn't reach. Minor but frustrating. I think the problem comes from our old trailer having the electrical in the middle and the BH having the electrical in the rear.

We finally put a label on the side of the trailer as to where the electrical box needs to be so the cord can reach. Simple, but it works.

Jimmy

I have a "short" (15') 50 AMP extension cord just for that reason...

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've had the same experience a few times. Good idea you have there to mark or at least have a spot on the rig to know how far back your limit is. I've never thought of it, but I can't imagine it would be difficult to relocate the Miarinco receptacle closer to the center of the rig.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Several times we have been caught(lack of thinking) stopping our trailer too far from the electric box and the cord wouldn't reach. Minor but frustrating. I think the problem comes from our old trailer having the electrical in the middle and the BH having the electrical in the rear.

We finally put a label on the side of the trailer as to where the electrical box needs to be so the cord can reach. Simple, but it works.

Good idea, even for us seasonal site users. The pedestal on the site I use ends up near the UDC and I was just within reach last summer when I parked it. A couple of more inches and I would have had to reposition.

dfk009

That's what you take your DW along for, and put a two-way in her hand. That away if you come up short, it's her fault.:D

TedS

Jcullipher, my method for slideout clearance is to put my backside against the trailer, bend over at the waist and if my head doesn't bump anything there is enough room for the slideout. I like the cut off broom handle, good for other things, my head not so much.

We carry an extension cord just in case the pedestal moves to far away after I park.

PeternLiane

Jcullipher, my method for slideout clearance is to put my backside against the trailer, bend over at the waist and if my head doesn't bump anything there is enough room for the slideout. I like the cut off broom handle, good for other things, my head not so much.

We carry an extension cord just in case the pedestal moves to far away after I park.

LOL, That's the exact reason why we carry an extension cord too.

Wharton

Unfortunately, the times we have had the problem the DW was the driver and I was suppose to be checking things out. It seems that most of the problems occur when I am doing the initial check and she is driving. Is that telling me something???

To check slideout space we just use our arms, if there is space for our arms out and our body it is enough space.

gpshemi

Several times I've considered adding a second(or third) recepticle, but wire is sorta rich these days. The nice thing about that is I coukd use a shorter cord. Man they're heavy.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I also have an extension cord also but usually only need it if I can't get close enough to the Shore power. When I pull into a site the first thing I pull out is my power cord and surge suppressor and string it out to make sure it will connect. Then I drop the landing gears and disconnect from the truck.

Works for me.
BC

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Several times I've considered adding a second(or third) recepticle, but wire is sorta rich these days. The nice thing about that is I coukd use a shorter cord. Man they're heavy.

The Heavy cord is why I always use a 30 amp unless I'm planning on needing the extra power - since I only have one AC - it is unlikely that I will ever need the 50 amp -

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1

THAT EXPLAINS IT, I KNEW THAT PEDESTAL WAS MOVING BUT COULD NEVER SEE IT. WAIT TILL I TELL MY WIFE.

jimtoo

THAT EXPLAINS IT, I KNEW THAT PEDESTAL WAS MOVING BUT COULD NEVER SEE IT. WAIT TILL I TELL MY WIFE.

Well,,, my power pedestal has not moved before,, but the water connection has moved a couple of times..one time as I was leaving it even swallowed (I Guess) my pressure regulator.... cause I never even got out of the park when I thought about leaving the regulator right next to the water connection... went back to site.. it was gone..the folks on both sides never saw it either.. so that's the only thing that could have happened.. the water connection swallowed my regulator.

porthole

Retired
Never had a problem at regular campgrounds with the power pedestal distance. But, A late arrival at Antietam 2 years ago had me using an extension cord to reach a pedestal in another site. The pedestal on our site was DOA. Like Kevin, I always have a 30 amp cord with the a 50 amp female end.

Now water - at Delaware last year 2 hoses at 75 feet just reached the spigot.