Hello folks, new to this forum so not sure exactly what forum I should be posting this in, sorry if it's the wrong one. Earlier this year I stepped up from older bumper pull travel trailers (my old one was a 96 terry Fleetwood, so much different haha) to my first 5'er! I knew when I bought it it was going to need some work. Overall the trailer is pretty immaculate, and everything works or mostly works compared to my old trailers, (pretty much just $1,000$ hunting trailers) haha. But I knew it needed some work, but for the price I talked the fella down to I couldn't pass it up.

Today I'll just cover one issue, It seems the wall seams hadn't been re caulked in years and some were letting go which let moisture in the back wall which is soft. I was hoping if I resealed it it would dry up and be okay, atleast for a few years. But after moving it for hunting this year my brother following me said the whole back wall moves... Yikes so I guess in the spring I'm opening it up and rebuilding it. I have rebuilt walls in campers before and built entire campers, I am a contractor so I'm not afraid in skill level.

Just wondering about a few things, firstly where can I get parts if any? I haven't been to my local dealer in years because they are very small, I never see them do actual work, they use to actually tell people they were a dealer not a repair shop. If I can't carefully pull the exterior panel off the wall to reuse it where can I get a new one? Also does anybody know if I can still get the wallpaper for this trailer? Would like to keep it looking nice and matching. Also what are the odds I can pull the exterior molding off and gently "peel back" the rubber roof without tearing it and needing to replace the entire thing.

Trailer is a 2010 Heartland Elkridge. I believe 36.5ft? Or 35.6? I can't remember somewhere around there. And I believe there is a sticker by the door that says model 34RLse or something along those lines, again I'm probably wrong I don't remember exactly.

Sorry for the mess, I was still cleaning from hunting haha. And the low quality pics, camera always seems to be dirty and I forget to clean it.Screenshot_20231127-104416_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20231127-104046_Gallery.jpg

Bogie

I think it's unlikely you will find parts for a 13 year old trailer. That's not to say you can't improvise. Places like Bontragers surplus in White Pigeon would be a good resource. https://bontragers.com/ There are others in the Goshen area as well.

You also might benefit from others who have done this on Youtube. This one can get you started.

Should be quite a project. Keep a photo diary and post them here so others can see what you do/did.

sengli

First off all the walls, roof, and floor are laminated pieces. Its a combo of aluminum structure insulated with block foam, laminated with glue under heat and pressure with fiberglass outer and luan ply on the inside. They arent built up out of 2x2s and screws. The back wall and any interior walls are built up with ply and 2x2 studs. As for parts, are you thinking you are going to get replacement fiberglass outer panels?
Its unfortunately common for the rear walls to leak at the 90 degree corner seams back there. And there isnt a lot of wood structure there anyway. If water has gotten in I am sure its pretty well rotted out.

First off all the walls, roof, and floor are laminated pieces. Its a combo of aluminum structure insulated with block foam, laminated with glue under heat and pressure with fiberglass outer and luan ply on the inside. They arent built up out of 2x2s and screws. The back wall and any interior walls are built up with ply and 2x2 studs. As for parts, are you thinking you are going to get replacement fiberglass outer panels?
Its unfortunately common for the rear walls to leak at the 90 degree corner seams back there. And there isnt a lot of wood structure there anyway. If water has gotten in I am sure its pretty well rotted out.
I haven't obviously dug deep into it yet as I just made the decision to undergo the project in the last few weeks, but when I bought the trailer the vertical seams (caulking) between the rear and side walls had let go enough in some places I was able to pull the corner moulding back slightly and look behind the exterior panel and see plywood... Rotten wood but wood non the less. I also saw some 2x2 framing. Also as the summer went on and I used it I made a couple of little "investigative" holes on the bottom corners of the interior (The Luan was soft in spots) and saw more 2x2 and pink bat insulation. Maybe I'm not looking deep enough to see aluminum frame or styro insulation? Or maybe this trailer has been worked on before? (The P/O did say the side wall on the D.S behind the slide-out had been replaced under warranty by the O/W within the first year of being bought because he had a tire shred and it blew out the wall, so maybe they messed with the back wall too?) I just want to know when I dig into this can I find parts if need be, let's say I can't get the exterior panel unglued from the remaining wood nicely and I snap it, can I get a new piece. Can I undo the moulding around the rubber roof and as long as I'm careful not to slice it when I peel the Caulking will the rubber just pull back so I can replace where the roof and wall meet, or is it glued or something that will likely cause it to tear and cause me to replace the entire roof. And if anybody knowes where I can get the same or very similar wall paper for the inside. I'm not too worried about dealing with the structural side of things that doesn't scare me, it's the cosmetics and roof. Really not in the budget to put a 6k+ roof on it, and I would like to keep it looking as nice and original as possible.

sengli

I went on the heartland factory tours a lot back in the day before I bought our elkridge, a 2011 model. The side walls are the laminated type construction. The rear wall is definitely built up with 2x2s and plywood. As for where you would get some fiberglass repair panels, I havent a clue, sorry.

david-steph2018

I haven't obviously dug deep into it yet as I just made the decision to undergo the project in the last few weeks, but when I bought the trailer the vertical seams (caulking) between the rear and side walls had let go enough in some places I was able to pull the corner moulding back slightly and look behind the exterior panel and see plywood... Rotten wood but wood non the less. I also saw some 2x2 framing. Also as the summer went on and I used it I made a couple of little "investigative" holes on the bottom corners of the interior (The Luan was soft in spots) and saw more 2x2 and pink bat insulation. Maybe I'm not looking deep enough to see aluminum frame or styro insulation? Or maybe this trailer has been worked on before? (The P/O did say the side wall on the D.S behind the slide-out had been replaced under warranty by the O/W within the first year of being bought because he had a tire shred and it blew out the wall, so maybe they messed with the back wall too?) I just want to know when I dig into this can I find parts if need be, let's say I can't get the exterior panel unglued from the remaining wood nicely and I snap it, can I get a new piece. Can I undo the moulding around the rubber roof and as long as I'm careful not to slice it when I peel the Caulking will the rubber just pull back so I can replace where the roof and wall meet, or is it glued or something that will likely cause it to tear and cause me to replace the entire roof. And if anybody knowes where I can get the same or very similar wall paper for the inside. I'm not too worried about dealing with the structural side of things that doesn't scare me, it's the cosmetics and roof. Really not in the budget to put a 6k+ roof on it, and I would like to keep it looking as nice and original as possible.
Before tearing into it really deep, check in this places to see what you could find to help:

Bogie

I took a look at your picture again and comment about moving for hunting. Is that a gun safe strapped down at the rear? if it is, something that heavy could be a contributing factor (side to side sway) to the back wall movement.

I took a look at your picture again and comment about moving for hunting. Is that a gun safe strapped down at the rear? if it is, something that heavy could be a contributing factor (side to side sway) to the back wall movement.
Picture was just for a reference so all you smart folks could see the wall paper/interior style and color incase it was as easy as paint codes on vehicles, you know "oh yea that wall paper is sky blue product number xxxxx" type deal, can't see the interior damage in it. Any who no that's not a gun safe, it's the multi fuel waste oil furnace out of my shop. At my age I don't have alot of extra cash so I make things work, I use to run wood stoves in my other trailers but after saving up for years and finally buying something nice I wanted to keep it as nice as possible and keep it clean, not run stinky old wood in it and get it filthy and ruin the carpet. This furnace is clean and I have tons of waste oil, vs getting about 2-3 nights on a propane tank at about 40$ a tank, and having to use and try to charge multiple Battery's everyday likely ruining my deep cycles due to having to charge them so fast to charge them all to run the camper furnace. The furnace is very light I carry it in myself, I laid down a sheet of plywood to keep the carpet clean, in the picture it's strapped down to the floor anchors for the recliners, strap isn't very tight it's just to keep it from falling over and causing damage or spilling. Maybe these campers aren't built how they use to be but isn't the floor attached to the frame rails? So by me strapping the furnace to the floor it shouldn't cause the walls to move?

Also come spring time when the cold Canadian weather receeds and we all climb out of hibernation is likely when I will start the repair, and I will for sure keep a photo documentary about it and share it. I figure right around when the ski doo goes away is when It will be warm enough to start the endeavor haha

Burbman

I rebuilt a Lance truck camper so am very familiar with this process. The outside fiberglas is called FILON and it comes in 500' rolls 102" wide. There are a few surplus/salvage places around Elkhart IN that will sell it by the foot. Once your framing is complete and insulation is in, use quality construction adhesive and staple to attach 1/8" (2.5mm) plywood to the framing. Then spray contact adhesive (Bender's 618) on both filon and plywood and slp it together. The process is very similar to laminating a countertop. I used a J roller to smooth it out, then trim, with a flush bit in a palm router.

Here's the link to my rebuild, that forum goes in reverse chrono order, so read back to front so to speak. Lance Rebuild