Experenced RVers - How to register and insure from out of state

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Some one out there has had to deal with this -

I live in Mass and expect to purchase my unit in either FL or TX in the next two months. how does one go about buying and registering the RV from 1200 - 2000 miles from home? Also, in Mass you pay the sales tax when you register the unit - how is this handled in other states and will I not be expected to pay the MA tax when I register the unit? looking to not make a mis-step here that could cost me... I know that I can insure the unit with a phone call - but the registration process in MA is setup for person to Bureaucracy. Will I need to pay Sales Tax in the state of purchase ( FL or TX ) and how do I not have to pay the State Tax in MA? There has to be one or two owners out there who live in MA and have purchased out of state. What can I expect and how best should I tackle this?

2010augusta

We lived in Co and bought in IN. We recived a temp tag in Indiana, towed it back to Colorado and registered and paid sales tax only in Colorado. In IN we had to sign a waiver stating that we would be paying sales tax in another state. the temp tags are good for 15 - 30 days so you can take your time registering it.

If you are not returning to MA, you can assign a DMV power of atterney and have someone you trust with your business register the unit and mail the plate and paper work to you. We had to do this before too.

skyguy

Depends on individual states. Some states have reciprocity with other states, and you pay sales tax only in the state of purchase.

For example: Colorado has reciprocity with Arizona, but does not with New Mexico or Nebraska. We bought a vehicle in Arizona, paid sales tax there, and did not have to pay sales tax again when we registered in CO. We bought our BH in Nebraska, and another vehicle in New Mexico, and only paid sales tax in Colorado upon registration. Down side of that was not being able to roll the sales tax into the financed amount - just had to plan to have the extra cash on hand.

Al

cableman

We bought our North Trail in Ohio and we live in Pa. We recieved a temp tag good for 30 days. we then registered in Pa and payed sales tax here. Again no hurry tags are good for 30 days.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
All,

Thanks for the feedback - I guess I will need to call my insurance co tomorrow and possibly the MA RMV ( that will be fun ) to determine what the process might be - if I have to pay Sales tax in both states ( I can not believe that is the case ) that would be very expensive.

Delaine and Lindy

I think our 5th wheel is Insured by Explorer RV Insurance Agency and we do everthing by e-mail. We pick-up our 2010 in Elkhart Ind. However we registered it in Tenn and paid the Sales Tax there. Some States require you to pay some Tax in the State you pickup the RV. You can have a issue when the 5th wheel is registered in a State and the Tow vehicle is registered in another unless you have a LLC. Most dealers will issue you a drive out tag good for 15 to 30 days. We just went back to GEICO for Insurance for our Chevy HHR and the Silverado and saved over $400.00 dollars a year. I wish they would Insure our Freightliner they would get all our business. We did all the changes on line, and they e-mailed the Insurance Cards back to us and we just printed them off. GBY...