Exterior Window Treatment used on DRV

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hello all,

We saw "window silks" on the DRV Elite Suites at the RV Show. This comes standard on Elite Suites. Itis perforated adhesive vinyl that is put on the windows. From inside you can see out of the perforations, but from the outside, you cannot easily see in. As you can see on the DRV, the graphics continue over the windows.

IMG_0713.jpg IMG_0715.jpg IMG_0717.jpg windowperf-substrate.jpg

I read some posts on forums that said it did darken the interior because it let less light into the RV. However, that is the point, less light and less heat! Anything to cut the summer heat in Texas would be a very good thing.

I saw one post saying it cost them $1500 to add it to their DRV back when it was an option.

Would anyone consider this as an option on their coach?

Re: New Window Treatment

Yes I would and think it makes coach look a lot nicer. Helping with cooling would be a added bonus.

carl.swoyer

If lights are on inside you still see in

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

farside291

Plus, I think it's about a $4,000 option. But it really dresses up the coach and compliments the full body paint.

Oregon_Camper

I wouldn't want this on our Bighorn. It is already dark inside the RV, having these permanently on the windows, would make it ever darker.

We have the MCD's shades, which do basically what these are offering, but I can open/close them. We have the option of the "black out" shade or the "day" mode, which offer light in, but privacy from people seeing in from outside the RV.

Bones

I would get it. I think it make the exterior pop a bit more.

sengli

Every one of the SOB coaches we have been in with this on it, were very dark inside. To the point where on a super sunny day, you needed to have the lights on to see anything. Looks great on the outside, but it just kills too much incoming light.

porthole

Retired
Our 2010 Cyclone has stripes of this nature. The treatment follows the natural graphic flow.

Attachments

• Cyclone_ext_37 copy.jpg
    Cyclone_ext_37 copy.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 34

jjwink

We had Slow-Rise shades stalled on our fifth wheel for half the cost of MCD and they are just as efficient! Love them. They keep heat out with day shades and keep cold out and heat in with night. Check them out.

Abear79

Absolutely we would, and we would get enough daylight I think from the slide windows. Witch we have dark-out shades on at the moment. I think it would work and look great and help with heat. In wide open parks for sure. Maybe too dark in wooded parks but I dont mind using the lights. They are led so dont pull a lot of amps amps.

TravelTiger

Our 2010 Cyclone has stripes of this nature. The treatment follows the natural graphic flow.

Are the graphics perforated so you see through them?

This material has perforated holes and covers the entire window surface, creating a "screen effect" -- which would cut the light and heat transfer through the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Form the outside you can't see through the decals, unless at night with the lights on. The windows are also a bronze tint and almost impossible to see in from the outside anyway

From the inside the graphics just appear as a shadow, you barely notice them and can see right through them.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Judy (jjwink) - do you have more information on the slow-rise shades? Haven't heard of them before.

mlpeloquin

I wonder just how long the vinyl will last? Good vinyl can last up to seven years. What kind of treatment can be used on the perforated vinyl without affecting the bond? Will cleaning the windows with the vinyl using standard window cleaner hurt the vinyl or shorten its life? Just how good will the vinyl look three or four years down the road? I don't think I would opt for this until I know the answer and this will take several years to find out.

GETnBYE

We added auto window tint to our last unit, it helped with heat and was much cheaper. With different shades available also, we opted for a much darker for the windows beside the head of the bed. No designs will be the only trade off.
Anita
Hello all,

We saw "window silks" on the DRV Elite Suites at the RV Show. This comes standard on Elite Suites. Itis perforated adhesive vinyl that is put on the windows. From inside you can see out of the perforations, but from the outside, you cannot easily see in. As you can see on the DRV, the graphics continue over the windows.

View attachment 49593 View attachment 49595 View attachment 49596 View attachment 49597

I read some posts on forums that said it did darken the interior because it let less light into the RV. However, that is the point, less light and less heat! Anything to cut the summer heat in Texas would be a very good thing.

I saw one post saying it cost them $1500 to add it to their DRV back when it was an option.

Would anyone consider this as an option on their coach?

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We saw one of these at a dealer. The graphics do block a bunch of light. I guess if you want to live in the dark this would be ok. Its a deal killer for us. 4 K to have this done or 400 to have the windows tinted like we did last summer...

TravelTiger

I don't think it should cost 4K, but I haven't inquired about having it done. I know the material can be coated with an extra UV protectant layer so that it resists sunlight.

They do say not to clean with ammonia based window cleaners.

GETnBYE

I was wondering about the window cleaners with the (factory) tinted windows on our Bighorn. Anyone know if windex is no no?
I got a special cloth to use with water, but would like to know the answer.
I don't think it should cost 4K, but I haven't inquired about having it done. I know the material can be coated with an extra UV protectant layer so that it resists sunlight.

They do say not to clean with ammonia based window cleaners.

Last edited:

BigGuy82

DRV doesn't doesn't list pricing on their website but Augusta does. They get $2,300 on thier largest coach.

These are what was known as "bus wraps" in the printing industry and initially were used for making an entire bus essentially a billboard. Light transmission is greatly reduced by this stuff as the light must pass through thousands of tiny holes and is reflected off of the solid area. People can't see in during the daytime but you can see out. At night, those outside can see in but the image is darkened. They will most definitely reduce the amount of sun that enters the coach, making it cooler.

My main concern would be this. Unless the technlogy has changed, these things were printed onto a thin adhesive vinyl film using a huge inkjet printer - just like the one on your desk but 10' across. The resulting product was not made to last years - more like months - so it coud be stripped off occasionally and the advertising changed. The inks were UV resistant but still subject to fading over time. If you were to add these to your coach, you should understand the manufacturers warranty (if any) against fading. If the "silks" (there is no silk in them) fade and the coach does not (and it is very unlikely both will fade at the same rate), you can see the issue.

That said, they look very nice.