EXTREAM FIRE HAZZARD! Gray foam insulation.

danemayer

Be very careful with open flames around the gray foam insulation. I caught a piece on fire

Maybe the overriding concern here is about working with open flames and other things that can set your rig on fire. I'll bet there's plenty of other stuff that will also catch fire and burn really quickly.

MichaelV

I agree a lot of things will catch fire and burn, but this can be lite with a match and burns extremely fast along with lots of black smoke. Remember the snakes you used to get in your old fireworks packs? That's what it reminds me of.. but not as fast
Mike

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I believe all urethane foams will combust. Just a matter of how hot they need to be and how fast they'll propagate the flame.

Catch your sofa or mattress on fire and the smoke will kill you long before the flames do.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelV

UPDATE: EXTREAM FIRE HAZZARD! Gray foam insulation.

Apparently I am not the only one that's alarmed about this foam. A fire official has just wrote a small article in "Trailer Life" magazine, July '17 edition, page 82. I guess I am not over conservative working in the nuclear power field for 30 years.

Mike V

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I see it as one of the many items that we all have that will kill us. The best thing we can do is be aware of the hazards and take personal responses and became educated as to them. Stuff like becoming more aware and becoming more educated on fire safety.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dykesj11

Second the opinion on Mac's seminars. We'll be picking up some fire extinguishers. But getting out is the most important lesson he'll provide. He even demonstrates how to do so from the higher front bedroom emergency escape windows without a ladder. And it will be someone from the audience doing the actual exit. This is a don't miss seminar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wdk450

I got curious about this subject, so I did a websearch on the terms "fire resistant sealant". One of the products that came up at the top of the page was an orange version of Great Stuff expanding foam sealant, but reading the details on the item, it seems to be just as flammable and heat intolerant as regular formula Great Stuff. Farther down the websearch results page I came up with Touch 'n Foam which is listed as being Class A Fire resistant. The picture didn't seem to show it being as expandable as the Great Stuff product, though.
http://www.touch-n-foam.com/firebreak.html

Maybe a demo of the currently used RV urethane foam sealant burning would be an effective educational tool for Mac The Fire Guy.

MichaelV

Maybe a demo of the currently used RV urethane foam sealant burning would be an effective educational tool for Mac The Fire Guy.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what is needed. We aren't going to change the industry unless more people are aware and raise their concern. That's the whole reason I began this thread.

Mike

G_S

So glad to see Mac will be there- his seminar is great and so important. We will definitely be attending and getting new extinguishers.

It would be good to get a video of macs presentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk