F350 Excessive Idling?

2010augusta

Alan:
Thanks for the info. What about my theory of letting the truck start itself?

Rick

I don't know about the remote start systems, but if the truck is starting easy like that it is probably okay, but there is still no need to idle the cummins for more than a few minutes. the best way to heat up the truck and engine is to just get in a drive easy for a couple of miles.

BTW: for the Ford guys out there the newer (2003+) automatic transmission have a "hidden" sixth speed which is a cold weather only 4th speed (2nd gear overdrive) to run the truck at a slightly higher RPM to build the engine heat up quicker.

thomasinnv

Alan, if it's anything like the earlier ones (my 2000 for example) there is not actually an extra gear. the tranny just does not allow the torque converter to lock up when the fluid is cold, hence the higher rpm. usually after about a minute of highway speeds the torque converter will lock right up. in warmer climates you probably will not see this however.

2010augusta

It is an extra speed.

Alan, if it's anything like the earlier ones (my 2000 for example) there is not actually an extra gear. the tranny just does not allow the torque converter to lock up when the fluid is cold, hence the higher rpm. usually after about a minute of highway speeds the torque converter will lock right up. in warmer climates you probably will not see this however.

I believe it is an extra gear, or combo of 2nd gear and over-drive.

Wikipedia said:
Torqshift 5R110
The Torqshift 5-speed 5R110 automatic transmission replaced the 4-speed in the 2003 model year truck with 6.0 L diesel engine. The TorqShift design in fact has six forward ratios, but only five are advertised, with the 'hidden' gear only used in extreme cold weather. The TorqShift 1st to 5th gear ratios are 3.11, 2.22, 1.55, 1.00, and 0.71:1. It also utilizes an alternate 4th gear, overdrive on 2nd gear of the 3 speed automatic component (0.72 x 1.55), that is 1.10:1 that is used under cold start conditions to aid engine and transmission warm up. On the TorqShift, once the Tow/Haul mode is activated it can help increase a driver's control when towing large loads up and down steep grades and automatically minimizes shifts and maximizes available torque. Upon descent, the Tow/Haul mode utilizes engine braking to help extend brake life and improve driver control. An adaptive shift function monitors the TorqShift's performance over its lifetime, and adjusts shift pressures in real time to assure consistent shift feel and compensate for wear. For ease of maintenance, the TorqShift's oil filter is a spin-off style, mounted on the passenger-side exterior of the transmission. Also the TorqShift's larger fluid lines and a larger transmission oil cooler help to assure cooler operating temperatures, even under the most demanding conditions.

lwmcguir

2010Augusta is definitely Mr. Ford. I have had many Ford trucks and still do. Have learned some things from Alan's post even though I had my first Ford truck before he was born. Thanks for all the good information. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

2010augusta

Now that's funny:p.

My first Ford was made before I was born too. I inherited my Grandfather's '65 Mecury Comet. I was I have worked in auto parts and repair for about 12 years, and spent 4 years engineering racecar parts.

thomasinnv

oops, I didn't pay close enough attention to your post Alan. Early 2003 models had the 7.3 with 4r100 still in them, and later 2003 had the 6.0 with 5r110. you obviously were referring to the 5r110, i was referring to the 4r100. you are correct, the 5r110 is actually a 6 speed but the shift strategy only includes 5 gears. which 5 of the 6 gears used depends on the temperature. when cold the shift strategy would be 1,2,3,4 and 6; when warm the strategy is 1,2,3,5 and 6. when cold it takes advantage of the slightly lower ratio of 4th gear to increase engine rpm. but i guess that's basically what you already said lol.

caissiel

My 98 GM had no overdrive till the tranny warmed up, it took about one mille at 30MPH for it to kick in.

lwmcguir

The reason you see more Fords towing than any other manufacturer is that they are designed to. Much heavier and easier to service as well. The posted towing weight reflect that. Very few Super Duty Ford owners that trade down.