Filling DEF Tank

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Got the 500 miles to empty warning on my truck a few days ago. Checked all the auto parts stores around and found just one 2.5 gallon jug of DEF. Put it in the tank and was surprised to see that the warning did not go away. Searched thru the manuals but didn't find anything specific except that the tank holds approximately 5 gallons. I finally located another 2.5 gallon jug today and finished filling the tank (only took another 2 gallons). Now the warning has gone away. Guess I wasn't aware that you have to completely refill the tank when it gets low - no partial refills.:confused:

MTPockets

I 'think' I read somewhere in the manual that it may take a while for the computer to reset..... Sooo, the light may take a while to go out.

boatto5er

Taking it to Dover Sunday. That should be far enough for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

I thought two days was just too long to wait for it to reset. :confused:

I agree ... I carry and plan to put in two gallons when my light comes on .... last fill-up was at dealer when I had first oil change, so I've not added any myself. Hope it works for me...

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Got the 500 miles to empty warning on my truck a few days ago. Checked all the auto parts stores around and found just one 2.5 gallon jug of DEF. Put it in the tank and was surprised to see that the warning did not go away. Searched thru the manuals but didn't find anything specific except that the tank holds approximately 5 gallons. I finally located another 2.5 gallon jug today and finished filling the tank (only took another 2 gallons). Now the warning has gone away. Guess I wasn't aware that you have to completely refill the tank when it gets low - no partial refills.:confused:

Gus, I was at the Flying J near Swedesboro NJ today. They must have had around 50 jugs of DEF sitting on an end cap. That is just a days trip there and back. Put some miles on that fancy Ford:D.

Jamie

hriker

Just filled my DEF tank and the light went off adding 2.5 gallons. My manual indicates to add 3.5 gallons when the warning appears. Could only get 2.5 gallon containers at $12.95 per container. Just found out I can buy DEF at the pump at Pilot for $2.90 a gallon. We have a Pilot Flying J 4 miles from the house. Going there in the future and pump 3.5 gallons only into the tank and not have to store extra DEF.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I buy my DEF at the local Wally World and alway keep and extra jug in the truck, don't need to run at 10mph until I find some.

pegmikef

I always run a system check when I start out and whenever it says the DEF is less than half full I add 2.5 gallons. In view of the controversy over Ford backing their warranties, I always use the Ford DEF which only costs 2 dollars more than Walmart's and has a much better nozzle. Just don't want to leave any opening for potential warranty denial (e.g., used inferior DEF).

CactusTwo

It is said that a full tank of DEF should last 9000km. and your oil should be changed every 5000km....SOOOO the dealers want to change your oil and TOP up your DEF at the same time, thus no warning lights. If you do your own oil changes or go to a fast lube place to get it done, top it up then. It is all part of a global warming issue. I got this info from a duramax forum and it makes sense.

pegmikef

It is said that a full tank of DEF should last 9000km.

Yeah the Ford folks told me that too, but the burn rate is actually proportionate to fuel usage so if you do mostly towing as I do you'll find that the DEF doesn't last nearly as long as the dealers say it will.

Last edited:

boatto5er

I haven't had to add any yet. How do you know when it is full?

It pee's on you. Seriously, with the cheaper refill jugs you'll get a little but if spill. Don't wear your good clothes or you might smell like fertilizer. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

I buy my DEF at the local Wally World and alway keep and extra jug in the truck, don't need to run at 10mph until I find some.

I understand that you get at least two warnings before you lose any speed. Also, 'if' you do get down to the bottom, you don't lose the ability to run until/unless you shut the engine off. When you restart, the sensors put you into the governed mode until you fill. So, unless you shut the engine off, you have plenty of time to go to the store for DEF.

PhotoPete

I have a Chevy, I have had to add around 15 gallons of he stuff over the last year. About all i can say is that the relief air vent sucks. every time i fill it i get big air pockets that burp up liquid now and again.

I am always careful to wash everything down real well.

Pete