Filling Fresh Water Tank

Maverick

I am sure this has been discussed in other threads but couldnt specifically find it easily. Thus the question: I have a Landmark San Antonio. Can I assume the only way to fill the Fresh Water tank is to stick a hose in the water fill port. I did that and had a little problem with water spurting back out until I tried a longer piece of hose to stick way down the fill tube. Still dont think I completey filled the tank until the water started spurting back out. Dont think I was able to get the complete 75 Gal the tank supposedly holds as the inside indicator just said 2/3 full when the water wouldnt go in anymore. :confused:I would think there is a way to utilize the city water hookup to fill the tank but cant seem to find that feature so I assume there is none. My previous RV had that feature and it was very convenient. Guess you cant have everything. Should add this to suggestions of what would like to see added in the coaches.

ihsolutions

I'm pretty certain there's no way to fill the fresh water tank using the city connection. This would be a relatively simple modification, though, if you are able to install a valve and do miscellaneous plumbing work. But that still won't solve your problem with the tank not filling correctly. You might try a search as I think this has been discussed several times before, but from what I remember it involved problems with the way the fill tubing runs to the tank. My 2011 has no such problem -- I am able to fill the tank completely.

RAHanock

I don't think opening up a faucet will relieve the air pressure in the tank. There is a pump between the tank and the faucet that will not allow any air to pass through it. Besides, the pump in connected to the bottom of the tank where the water is, so again no air will pass through that way.

I have the same problem on my Sundance. The air vent line has several low spots in it and tend to accumulate water and prevent air from escaping. I have found if I use a vinyl tube about the same diamater as the air vent by the water fill port, and then blow into it, I can usually push the water out and allow the air to vent. I do this every time I fill the tank. The water vapor probably condenses in the tube and accumulates there until blown out. You need to do this BEFORE you start filling or you will be trying to overcome the pressure that has built up from the water being added.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Part of the problem may be blockage of the small vent hose, next to the fill port. Some have had success blowing it clear with a little air pressure. The other is the installation of the fill hose. If it droops excessively somewhere between the port and the tank and the fill rate is slow, it can cause the water to back up and out the fill port.

I wonder if it would be possible to tap into the line that the pump uses to draw water from the tank. Put a valve or valves in to isolate the pump and fill the tank from the city connection via the pump line into the bottom of the tank.

A simpler alternative may be to construct a water manifold for the UDC and just use a line from it. That's what I use in mine, although I've only recently tried to put water into the tank (didn't have a need to). Top line goes to the city water connection, center to the tank flush, and the bottom one is a utility line of potable water hose. It can go to the tank fill port, when needed.

View attachment 15818

hoefler

Check this thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...r-fill-problem?p=195271&highlight=#post195271

JohnDar

Check this thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...r-fill-problem?p=195271&highlight=#post195271

TA DA!! I didn't think it would be that difficult to do. A little PEX 101 training and you're there.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
John, What did you use to make the bottom cap for the UDC with the hose through it?
I've always thought about doing that. To keep rodents out, etc. Thanks, Trace

JohnDar

John, What did you use to make the bottom cap for the UDC with the hose through it?
I've always thought about doing that. To keep rodents out, etc. Thanks, Trace

Trace, that's just a circle I cut from a 2" foam remnant I got from JoAnn Fabrics. Cut a slot to the center to fit around the hose and that's it. I traced the cap on the foam and cut about a 1/2" wider.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Trace, that's just a circle I cut from a 2" foam remnant I got from JoAnn Fabrics. Cut a slot to the center to fit around the hose and that's it. I traced the cap on the foam and cut about a 1/2" wider.

Okay thanks. You gave me an idea.

rick_debbie_gallant

Part of the problem may be blockage of the small vent hose, next to the fill port. Some have had success blowing it clear with a little air pressure. The other is the installation of the fill hose. If it droops excessively somewhere between the port and the tank and the fill rate is slow, it can cause the water to back up and out the fill port.View attachment 15818

A simpler alternative may be to construct a water manifold for the UDC and just use a line from it. That's what I use in mine, although I've only recently tried to put water into the tank (didn't have a need to). Top line goes to the city water connection, center to the tank flush, and the bottom one is a utility line of potable water hose. It can go to the tank fill port, when needed.

Still a simpler solution would be to fill from the outside shower. simply take off the shower head, disinfect the hose end and stick it in the fill tube. now open up the cold water line. TA DAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

or purchase a very nice hose manifold with 4 ends and valves on it for about ten bucks at your favorite big box home improvement store. But then you wont have the fun of makeing something cool like John did. :)

JohnDar

The couple of times I've run the outside shower, I figured I could expel water faster than that shower can. A manifold of some kind allows you to only need a single hose into the UDC for all your needs. Replacing the cheapo hollow plastic tank flush fitting with a brass city water connection with check valve eliminates any illegal immigrants that make it across the anti-siphon valve getting into your fresh water line.

PUG

Pug
Take a piece of clear vinyl hose (about two feet x 1 inch) put it over the vent (screened hole) and blow in it. It blows the water out of the vent line and lets you fill the tank up. You can fill you water storage tank using the shower hose in the utility center when hooked to city water. I also use this shower hose to hook to my black tank washout when dumping the sewer tank and no it doesn't backfeed sewer back into the hose.