Firestorm in Colorado Springs!

skyguy

What we call "The Front Range" in Colorado (west side of I-25, along the beginnings of the Rocky Mountains) is NOT a good place to be right now. There are many wildfires (12?) all over Colorado at the moment. The Waldo Canyon fire, in Colorado Springs, grew from 4000 to 15,500 acres in just a couple hours yesterday afternoon. Several homes have now burned. NO lives have been lost as of today.

We live on the south west side of town, the fire remains on the Northwest side of town, and now threatens the Air Force Academy. We are not currently threatened, but the biggest problem for us is smoke, and the 100 degree, record setting temperatures. We have not seen rain in over two weeks. At night, when things normally cool down, we are forced to keep the windows shut (and the heat in) because of the smoke. Not a lot of fun right now.

Links:
www.inciweb.org (all wildfires, look for Waldo Canyon)
www.kktv.com (good local channel, plenty of news, info)

Pray for Colorado folks!

Al Schlafli

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Skyguy,
Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone there. Being from Southern California, we know the drill.
Keep your rig loaded up and ready to roll, if needed. Stay safe. Trace

SeldomSeen

Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys right now. We are from Arizona and know what forest fires are like! Last couple of years we have tried to burn the entire state down so take care and stay safe.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We drove through Colorado Springs on I25 on Monday, and the haze was bad then. The fire looked right over a ridge from the city. We traveled through parts of New Mexico last year at this time, when they were suffering a similar fate. Lots of Texas had it bad last year, too. Praying for all dealing with fires!!

E

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I was watching the KKTV Live feed this morning (tough day at work) and you all have our thoughts and prayers!

TedS

Keep you rig ready to go.
I'm thinking along those lines down here in Bayfield, CO, between the fire 20 miles to the east near Pagosa Springs and the fire 40-50 miles to the west near Mancos.
Stay safe.

jayc

Legendary Member
We'll be cruising by on I-25 tomorrow on our way to Pueblo for another overnight there and then to Creede. We called the park in Pueblo today and was told that while there is smoke on the highway, traffic isn't bad and the roads are open. I hope that advice is still good tomorrow when we travel through.

We have had to evacuate for some hurricanes in the past, so we can relate to all the folks that had to leave. Good luck and may
God bless all that are affected by these fires.

porthole

Retired
We have friends in Montana who we camp with every year at dog camp (Golden Retriever Rescue). "Nancy & Mike" decided to go camping for a week on the river with the dogs. They got word yesterday that their area was in danger. They were told today that they will probably lose their home.This was their retirement dream home.

Last edited:

danemayer

We pulled into the Island Acres section of James Robb State Park near Grand Junction early this afternoon. A couple of hours later, started hearing helicopters - they're getting water out of the river next to the park to drop on a fire that started this afternoon on the other side of the ridge from the park. The smoke plume was small when we first noticed, but has grown significantly. I don't think it's likely to get to the park, but to be safe, we hitched up and put away water/sewer/chairs etc. so we can get out in 3 minutes if there's an evacuation. There's a Big Country next to us who's done the same.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Jay, we have altered our plan for Colorado. We are going to Gunnison instead of Colorado Springs. We may look you up in Creede when we come through. We will go to Grand Canyon north rim after Utah canyons.

PeternLiane

The fire above Boulder started with what looked like a small puff and then just exploded. The fires are moving fast with these high winds and extremely dry conditions. We have friends near every fire in Colorado. All we can do is pray for rain and cooler weather.

skyguy

Right now, we are staying at Lake Pueblo in the evenings for a few days. 45 minutes drive. Worth it - we can open the windows at night, and it's one thing to be ready to go, but a whole 'nother thing to be caught in the rush to leave. It is nice to have "another home", mobile and located away from danger!

Fire continues to move north - northwest and northeast. North is much better than south - if the fire were to cross Hiway 24, it would get real ugly real fast.

Local media will not say how many homes were burned in the firestorm Tuesday, but Denver media say 300, in a matter of hours. Unbelievable.

Al

jayc

Legendary Member
We went through Colorado Springs on I-25 and saw minimal smoke. Thank goodness, I was expecting much worse.

skyguy

That's terrible! Latest count in Colorado Springs is 346 homes lost, 1 life. For now, fire has settled back alot, 15% contained. The weather needs to stay nice for a few more days, and no new fires please! (When I say home lost, the fire is so intense, there is NOTHING left but foundation. Foundation and ashes. :(

Al

porthole

Retired
Our friends, Nancy & Mike are also big into Golden Retriever Rescue. Nancy is very instrumental in the fund raising activities for "Montana's Precious Gold Golden Retriever Rescue" One of her biggest and most popular items is a hand made quilt full of Golden's. This is auctioned off every year at "Goldstock"

She also lost all of her quilting and sewing supplies, equipment and materials. SO if anyone knows where there is that type of stuff laying around not being used.............

1st picture is the roadway leading up to a not very promising expectation.
2nd is the entrance way, and the Golden statue escaped damage.
3rd is looking down in her sewing room. You can make out a hot water heater and a table that held the embroidery machine.
4th is a yard shot
5th is the shed. The platform on the right is what is left of a motor home.

You read and hear so much about the fires and loss but it doesn't have the same impact until it is you or someone you know.

Attachments

• Nancy_&_Mike_1.jpg
    Nancy_&_Mike_1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Nancy_&_Mike_2.jpg
    Nancy_&_Mike_2.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Nancy_&_Mike_3.jpg
    Nancy_&_Mike_3.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Nancy_&_Mike_4.jpg
    Nancy_&_Mike_4.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Nancy_&_Mike_5.jpg
    Nancy_&_Mike_5.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 41

skyguy

Situation is inching back to "normal" in Colorado Springs. 55% containment of the fire boundary. 17,000 + acres burned so far. Many area attractions allowed to reopen, including Garden of the Gods, and Pikes Peak. Hiway 24, the main artery west out of Colorado Springs opened yesterday afternoon.

We could still use a lot more rain! Colorado is holding it's breath, waiting for the next fire...

A huge thanks to all the firefighters - we appreciate all they have done so far!

Al S.