Flood, need advice

soilmovers

While I was out of town, DH had an accidental flood (kitchen sink) in our 3055. Water was in the kitchen/living area about and hour and a half.

He ripped out the carpet/pad and all of the kitchen vinyl. He also loosened the bottom cover where some water ran out.

We also cut the vapor barrier to remove the rest of the water and insulation. What a job in the 107 degree Texas heat. At least it is drying out quickly!

The insurance folks have not been out but I expect them Monday. I contacted a few local RV service departments for information but was told to bring in the unit. We use the RV on the job so we want to make every step count.

I would like to get an idea of how this repair will go. How do they re-install the insulation and vapor barrier? Is it done from the bottom? or is the floor removed? Do they have to remove the base cabinets to install floor covering?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Cindy

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hi guys
If your still in the Melissa area you might give this mobile "AAA RV Repair" a call 972-924-2218 or on his cell 214-704-0392. He is an older man and he did a good job on my trailer.

BC

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
New flooring can be added by butting it up to base cainets and then using corner round to finish...that's what we did when we decided to upgrade our flooring. The only insulation you probably had in the belly would be a thin reflectix and that can just be put in from underneath...as long as you get everything dried out quickly, which it sounds like he did, you should be fine...

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Cindy, since you have all the flooring out, now would be a good time to secure the sheathing to the wooden studs/joists. I'm assuming you have wooden studs in a 2008 trailer.
Use a stud finder because there is no standard for their location. About a 1-5/8 screw will do. If you had any squeaks in the floor, this should eliminate them.

I replaced my vinyl in the kitchen area with a nice tile laminate. The living room is next on my list. Good luck with the repairs. So what happened anyway???

soilmovers

New flooring can be added by butting it up to base cainets and then using corner round to finish...that's what we did when we decided to upgrade our flooring. The only insulation you probably had in the belly would be a thin reflectix and that can just be put in from underneath...as long as you get everything dried out quickly, which it sounds like he did, you should be fine...

Hey Ken-
Actually, the insulation in our unit was 3 or 4" white batting. It was so lovely to grab handfuls of wet insulation while lying on my back. It wasn't bad once the water stopped pouring out.
cindy

soilmovers

Cindy, since you have all the flooring out, now would be a good time to secure the sheathing to the wooden studs/joists. I'm assuming you have wooden studs in a 2008 trailer.
Use a stud finder because there is no standard for their location. About a 1-5/8 screw will do. If you had any squeaks in the floor, this should eliminate them.

I replaced my vinyl in the kitchen area with a nice tile laminate. The living room is next on my list. Good luck with the repairs. So what happened anyway???

Ray,
I was curious about the wood flooring. There aren't many screws or seams. To make sure I understand, I need to screw the original wood to the studs?

We will probably have laminate put in and go ahead and carpet the rest including the bedroom.

It looks like we may get a 3800DB! Found one in Ft. Worth and working on the final details. This will be less stressful while the 3055 is in for repairs.

Ok, the flood. You won't believe how it happened. This took place after the 4th while I was still out of town.
DH goes to the job and checks the RV.
DH turns on the water. DH sets out frozen hamburger near the sink. Dog (Shelby the doberman) is in the cool air conditioned RV while Nick (DH) goes out to work on the job. Before DH steps out, he turns on a fan that is plugged into the outlet over the sink. DH doesn't notice that the cord is under the faucet handle. DH doesn't notice that I left the stoppers down in the sink after I cleaned them before leaving town.
Two hours later, DH returns and notices water coming out the door. The fan is tipped over and the faucet is running with the stoppers closed. The hamburger package has been chewed open and water is flowing over the sinks. The dog has retreated to the bedroom.
I had to call the insurance agent and tell this story.
DH goes back to work and I am the one to crawl under the RV. What's wrong with this picture??

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Oh my Gosh, I can just imagine this being on America's Funniest Videos. Sadly, it's not funny to you. I have to admit though I was chuckling a bit as I read the story.

To answer your question, yes, Screw the sheathing to the studs beneath. A stud finder will make it much easier. If you had any squeaks, this should eliminate them. Good luck with the situation.