Fly, and another, and another...argh!

wyleyrabbit

This is admittedly an odd post. Flies are getting in to our Bighorn, and we can't figure out how or where. I have killed 5 today alone. They are nor coming in through the door, and all the windows are closed. Just when I think I've got them all, more appear. I'm at a total loss. I suspect maybe one of the roof vents, but I'm grasping at straws. Any ideas?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Depending on where you're at and where you may have been, the flies may be eggs hatching from flies that got in before. Temperature gets right, and buzz...buzzz...buzzzzzz. Sometimes on a warm winter day, we see one or two suddenly appear in the house. Ladybugs, too.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If mice can make it in, I'm sure a fly can. On my BH, where the hose goes into the UDC, if you don't block the bottom hole, critters, flies, spiders etc can come up the hose and go aft to where the LP lines go up into the area under the stove/reefer and there ya have it. Our rigs are certainly not critter or fly proof.

wyleyrabbit

Ray,

You make a good point. As I was looking at the UDC today, I asked myself, "why is there a 1/2" gap between the left edge of the UDC and the door?" Seems like a little piece of wood might be in order here.

Chris

wyleyrabbit

Here's another thought:

I've never seen the inside of the Bighorn's furnace. When the furnace is off, would it be possible for an insect to fly into the furnace exhaust vent, then fly through one of the register vent hoses, through the register and lessen what's left of my sanity? :angel:

If so, perhaps I need to invest in some "flying insect screens" such as those offered by Camco. Looks like they have versions for most furnaces, water heaters, and stove vents although I don't think the RV stove screen will work for us.

Anyone use these? Are they relatively easy to install?

Thanks,
Chris

wyleyrabbit

Depending on where you're at and where you may have been, the flies may be eggs hatching from flies that got in before. Temperature gets right, and buzz...buzzz...buzzzzzz. Sometimes on a warm winter day, we see one or two suddenly appear in the house. Ladybugs, too.

These are fully grown large houseflies, so I don't think they're hatching here. I think they're finding their way in through one of our vents--the one over the stove seems like a good candidate. Or, maybe they're coming in through the funace...although I don't know if that's possible.

wyleyrabbit

Since I believe in "knowing thy enemy" I've done some reading on the common housefly, and according to Wikipedia, the adult housefly can live "from two weeks to a month in the wild". I hate them. Even reading about them bugs me. :(

traveler44

I installed bug screens on all of the vents on the off door side. We got into mosquitos so bad the other night that you couldn't open the door without a couple of dozen flying in. We had to spray mosquito repellant all around the outside of door but it lasted for days until we moved. We suspect the wiper on the rear window screen might let some in when the window is open. Can't see any daylight around any of the others. Tom M.

Stinger381

My Sundance is constantly full of Lady Bugs. I have the 3300 RLB and it seems like it is always the worst in the Rear Loft area. I've always thought the rear vent has a way to let them in. I haven't found it yet either but I think I'd start my search in the rear area of the roof maybe ?

trvlrerik

I had wasps getting into our trailer through the propane vent behind the fridge, when running on shoreline power. A small piece of mesh behind the grill took care of the problem.

JohnDar

My Sundance is constantly full of Lady Bugs. I have the 3300 RLB and it seems like it is always the worst in the Rear Loft area. I've always thought the rear vent has a way to let them in. I haven't found it yet either but I think I'd start my search in the rear area of the roof maybe ?

We've got them in the house. From what I've found out on the Internet, they're relatively harmless and don't do any real damage. But getting them out once they've taken up residence is a major operation.

rick_debbie_gallant

Want to keep them out for good? I will catch (or kill) several flies, get 10 inch barn spikes and nail them suckers (flies) to the side of my rig near where they are getting in. This will put the fear of Rick into them. Them flies dont want to end up like their brothers or sisters, nailed to side of my rig. The barn spikes also serve as a place to hang your dry underwear, towels, etc....

JohnDar

Want to keep them out for good? I will catch (or kill) several flies, get 10 inch barn spikes and nail them suckers (flies) to the side of my rig near where they are getting in. This will put the fear of Rick into them. Them flies dont want to end up like their brothers or sisters, nailed to side of my rig. The barn spikes also serve as a place to hang your dry underwear, towels, etc....

If you're using 10" barn spikes, them flies must be from the Jurassic period.