For All Of You Who Have "Large" Rigs

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
"For All Of You Who Have "Large" Rigs" . . .

I've heard that it is not the size of the rig . . . but the magic in it! :eek:

BigGuy82

I got the endorsement because I live here. Just needed to take the Class A written test. No driving or inspection is required for the endorsement. If you live in any other state and have a drivers license from that state, you are fine to drive here. If I lived in Massachusetts the only requirement would be Massachusetts equivalent of California's Class C for automobiles. As long as it is an RV no other requirements for weight or length, Class A, fifth wheel, or Class C.

Now the reason not to come here might be the new 20 cents per gallon increase for Diesel fuel when it takes effect.

I don't know - it's pretty tough to beat NY when it comes to fuel prices - in my area right now 2.59 - 2.92. Yours appear to be about the same now. When does the .20/gal kick in? It doesn't matter though, because in NY, we take great pride in being number one in everything we do, meaning if your prices go up, we'll beat them by making ours higher!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
For All Of You Who Have "Large" Rigs

Paid $2.28 for diesel at Bucee's (in Texas) Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dykesj11

CA isn't too bad EXCEPT San Diego - best is $2.67, average about 2.79 with many over 3.00 and highest at 3.29. Come Oct 1, add another .20 for Mr Brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Paid $1.86 at Kroger last weekend. That fuel discount when ya buy food there is awesome!

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

rhodies1

I don't know - it's pretty tough to beat NY when it comes to fuel prices - in my area right now 2.59 - 2.92. Yours appear to be about the same now. When does the .20/gal kick in? It doesn't matter though, because in NY, we take great pride in being number one in everything we do, meaning if your prices go up, we'll beat them by making ours high
. Here in Nova Scotia Canada we have the same legislation,if the unit dry weight is in excess of 10 k pounds then you need a special license and driving test,there is no charge for the test or license.One time test..... but we must have our units safety inspected every year because we pass the 10 k threshold.

mlpeloquin

I don't know - it's pretty tough to beat NY when it comes to fuel prices - in my area right now 2.59 - 2.92. Yours appear to be about the same now. When does the .20/gal kick in? It doesn't matter though, because in NY, we take great pride in being number one in everything we do, meaning if your prices go up, we'll beat them by making ours higher!

It is suppose to be in November. Probably after the November elections. Smart of them. Raise the taxes and don't have the increase take effect for seven months to allow people to forget about it. Then have the increase take effect after the elections! Operation normal.

Lowest cost Diesel in San Jose is $2.81 per gallon.

dykesj11

What I learned in Texas. I got regular Class C licensed at DPS Livingston, Tx. DPS says I need the Class A exempt CDL, "Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR OF 26,001 or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed exceeds 10,000 lbs." Because I have a GMC 3500HD DRW with GCWR 30,500 and a Bighorn 3575EL with GVWR 16,000 lbs, I fit the rqmt. I took the written test today and do the driving tomorrow. They could not have been any nicer and said the driving test is really simple. The upgrade to Class A costs $11. The DPS person said lots of people don't know or ignore the rqmt. Then it's a problem if they get stopped or worse, have an accident. Take it for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

esscobra

What I learned in Texas. I got regular Class C licensed at DPS Livingston, Tx. DPS says I need the Class A exempt CDL, "Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR OF 26,001 or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed exceeds 10,000 lbs." Because I have a GMC 3500HD DRW with GCWR 30,500 and a Bighorn 3575EL with GVWR 16,000 lbs, I fit the rqmt. I took the written test today and do the driving tomorrow. They could not have been any nicer and said the driving test is really simple. The upgrade to Class A costs $11. The DPS person said lots of people don't know or ignore the rqmt. Then it's a problem if they get stopped or worse, have an accident. Take it for what it's worth.

interested in wht the drivin test is-please update us

OEFVET

Thanks for the information. I have been trying to get this message out to HOC members as well.

esscobra

Read the laws on weight while researching weights of unit and truck etc- also there is wording in there about a variance/allowance overage on weight before a citation. cant remember ifit was 5or 10% mostly they are more concerned with overweight semis

meagle

California is over-regulated, over taxed, and causing many tax payers and companies to leave the state. As a taxifornia resident I can speak to these issues as I have lived through them all. In response to your original question California will recognize your out of state license. I decided to obtain my non commercial class A license due to potential liability issues. It was a real pain. You have to bring a class A license holder with you to the skill and driving test area. There are only certain testing areas that you can go to for the skill and driving test. Mine was three hours from my house! Traveling through many states I can say that California is certainly not a respected state. Many say "how can you live there." When I was in Texas Taxafornia announced it was going to regulate cow flatulence. It made the front page in the Texas town we were staying in. My RV neighbors and relatives we were visiting certainly enjoyed teasing us. I would avoid the state and go elsewhere. In my opinion it is a good state to avoid due to the condition of the roads and the high costs.

mlpeloquin

In California, if your fifth wheel is between 10,000 and 15,000 pounds you only have to pass the class A written test. Your class C license will have a restriction 41 on it that states: May tow fifth wheel recreational trailer between 10,001/15,000lbs GVWR. My Big Horn fully loaded is well under 15,000lbs. So I did not have to take the driving test.

VMooreSR

I took the test here in Texas, there was a written portion and a driving test which was numerous left and right turns, pulling up to curbs, straight backing and parallel parking with a stern warning if you hit a curb its an automatic fail.