? For those with Kodiak brakes...

dougw

So I'm the process of adding Kodiak disk brakes to the trailer. My cyclone has Lippert axles that have zerk grease fittings on the end of them. Are we using them to grease? I have packed the bearings and put some grease on the axles before the install. After a year I plan on re packing the bearings but is there any reason not to add more grease into the zerks?

Thanks
Doug

mobilcastle

You can hand pack the bearings which some feel are better or use the zerks to put grease in while turning the wheel until you see it come out the front bearing where the zerk is. It takes alot more grease if you use the zerk the first time to fill the hub in order for the grease to work through to the front bearing. Don't use a power grease gun or you may blow grease by the seals.

danemayer

A lot of people don't use the EZLube zerks. It's what I would call a blind procedure where you can't see what's going on inside. You're just adding grease and hoping all is well. As a result, you can inadvertently blow a seal putting grease onto the brakes. Obviously brakes don't work when greased. There's also some debate about whether you can ever get all the grease out of contaminated brake drums.

jnbhobe

Doug, I never use the zerk fitting,I always hand pack but only every few years.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Garypowell

I recently worked on my suspension and thought I would put grease into the bearings via the zerk fittings. So I bought two tubes of grease and started pumping on the first wheel. And I pumped and pumped and then pumped some more but I got concerned when none came out. So I stopped.

Called Lipperet for a different question and casually asked about what happened. I was told "it takes about one tube of grease per hub just to fill it up the first time".

I always appreciate the procedures and trouble shooting guides on this forum but sometimes I think it would be very helpful to have a "hints" section that had facts like that listed for each procedure. Procedures are great but knowing more of what to expect when doing a procedure would be just as valuable.

danemayer

I always appreciate the procedures and trouble shooting guides on this forum but sometimes I think it would be very helpful to have a "hints" section that had facts like that listed for each procedure. Procedures are great but knowing more of what to expect when doing a procedure would be just as valuable.

We're always looking for volunteers Gary. Now that you've got some answers, why not take a couple of pictures and write a paragraph or two detailing what you've learned. Email it to manuals@heartlandowners.org We'll take care of editing and arranging and posting the information.

To anyone else who'd like to help out: we'd love to post some more tips and techniques, procedures, guides, etc. You don't have to write a whole guide and your writing doesn't have to perfect. In fact, most of the guides that have been written mostly an accumulation of information posted to the forum over the years. Why not share what you've learned?

Some possible topic areas:

• brake adjustment
  • bearing lubrication
  • tow-behind trailer hitching, load-levelers, anti-sway devices.
  • trailer leveling
  • electric landing gear tips and repair info
  • hydraulic landing gear tips and repair info
  • Auto-leveling tips and techniques (4 and 6 point)
  • Stabilizers operation and troubleshooting
  • Aftermarket stabilizers
  • LED bulb substitutions with photos of the bulb being replaced and bulb #s

There are many more possible topic areas. This list is just off the top of my head. I don't mean for the list to be limiting.

Anyone who wants to provide help, whether a little or a lot, please send pics and text to manuals@heartlandowners.org

wdk450

You might look up a similar thread I recently started about "Free Oil Hubs with MorRyde Disk Brakes". I learned that at MorRyde, when they install the Kodiak system disk brake upgrade, they also remove the old hubs and install Kodiak hubs for disk brakes. These hubs are set up with a plastic cap and filler hole, along with a special oil seal, for oiled bearing operation. The kicker is that MorRyde installs these hubs with grease in the bearings instead of filling them with oil.

dougw

Thanks all for the reply's. I was more concerned that there is such a large volume of "empty space" between both the front bearings and rear bearings and even around the back of the seals, that eventually the grease would work it self out / off the bearings and just sit in that void of area between the bearings. As for now I believe I packed the bearings overly well and put plenty on the spindle but I was just wondering about the zerks.

Thanks
Doug