Ford 6.7...thoughts and experiences

mikeandconnie

You got my support.. I will never buy a Ford again...This is BS from Ford. Your liver will thank you also when you buy a GM 3500.. 12 hours on the road loaded or unloaded you feel great and no side pain..
To those that know me here, I have been a huge supporter of the new 6.7 Ford truck. Unfortunately, this took a drastic change in the last 5 weeks. My truck, with only 34000 miles on it, died on the road. The diagnosis, after having the truck in two different dealerships, is a failed High Pressure Fuel Pump. I have been embroiled in a battle to get Ford to fix the truck. The final determination is no warranty. I used poor quality fuel. Yep...the fuel I buy at Flying J, Pilot and Speedway truck stops must be poor quality stuff. The short story is the repairs to the truck are at $9260 and climbing. I will not waste the time of the readers here with a long drawn out story. If interested, here are a couple of links to the whole nightmare:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1099978-painful-an-update.html

Drum roll please...and the loser is... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I would not recommend anyone purchase a new 6.7 Ford. While my situation at this time can be called isolated, the facts are that this could happen to anyone. To the owners of this truck now, fuel system maintenance needs to done at severe duty intervals. The fuel separator needs to be drained often. I would suggest running the Ford Cetane/Lubricity additive in every tank of fuel. A NHSTA inquiry has been initiated. They are asking for failure information back to the 2008 model year. This inquiry is an add on to the ongoing formal investigation into Bosch HPFP failures in other brands. The pump in the Ford is the same series and design.

It saddens me to bring this news to the group. I never saw this one coming. The saddest part of the story, Deb's dad retired from Ford. He was an engineer there for 36 years. On Sunday, after a lifetime of owning Ford products, she told me that we should trade the Ford for a GM...and I agreed.

Regards

mmomega

AnyTimer
Curious as to why the high price for repair? and to why they didn't cover it under warranty. I've had plenty of random crazy stuff on the 6.0 covered, including them covering head gasket changes with the truck having a programmer on it, a new transmission, glow plugs, etc. All work was accomplished and done in less than 10days each. Well I say this after I found a competent Ford dealership with one of the best techs in NTx. Once I got away from the bad apple dealership nearby my experiences have been great. I also do all my own oil changes and keep track of them and Ford never gave me any grief when I had to take the truck in as well as on the new one and fuel filter just changed. They've told me it was fine as long as I do it at scheduled intervals with motorcraft parts and so far they've always kept their word to me.

Only problem I've had with the new one was a disfigured door sill and I called the dealer and by the time I brought it in they had another one ready to go on it by just taking my word that it was bad. So short of this truck exploding on me or the other 2 coming out with something amazing. As with my previous diesels, the next one will be a Ford as well. I don't hold too many grudges. I've had plenty of companies and businesses try to screw me over, I probably would be building everything I currently own if it bothered me much, with the exception of Apple I've probably had a bad experience (customer service wise) with every company I've dealt with.

Sorry to hear about the problems and hope that your next truck won't let you down as well no matter which brand.

Texasclarks

As a lurker I love to read about all the brand warfare about the big three and their HD trucks. As trailers are continuing to get bigger and heavier, I often wonder if a Class 8 isn't long overdue for use specifically as a TV. When you look at their capabilities and price over a HD Pickup they are starting to look very attractive.

Thank you all for the good information on the 6.7 and the lack of a real EB.

jimtoo

Hi Texasclarks,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

There are getting to be more and more of the Class 8's in the RV world.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

lwmcguir

As a lurker I love to read about all the brand warfare about the big three and their HD trucks. As trailers are continuing to get bigger and heavier, I often wonder if a Class 8 isn't long overdue for use specifically as a TV. When you look at their capabilities and price over a HD Pickup they are starting to look very attractive.

Thank you all for the good information on the 6.7 and the lack of a real EB.

If you are looking for a TV that can be an all around great ride and tow safely the 6.7 F350 is the way to go. Hands down it is the best in class. The braking system works very well whether you choose to go manual and shift or leave it in TH and let the computer slow you down. We have EB on the F550 and the F350 does very well all automatically. All you have to do is steer. Best truck we have ever owned and I am sure they may be one more out there that has a fuel issue. There are so few problems with the new Fords that you have to really search to find them.

As some of the other posters noted you can have issues with all of your major purchases.

Regarding the HD pickups the least amount you see grounded are the Ford 6.7's. Last winter a good percentage of the GM's were having issues here.

Go drive and see for yourself. You will be quite impressed.

GOTTOYS

If you are looking for a TV that can be an all around great ride and tow safely the 6.7 F350 is the way to go. Hands down it is the best in class. The braking system works very well whether you choose to go manual and shift or leave it in TH and let the computer slow you down. We have EB on the F550 and the F350 does very well all automatically. All you have to do is steer. Best truck we have ever owned and I am sure they may be one more out there that has a fuel issue. There are so few problems with the new Fords that you have to really search to find them.

As some of the other posters noted you can have issues with all of your major purchases.

Regarding the HD pickups the least amount you see grounded are the Ford 6.7's. Last winter a good percentage of the GM's were having issues here.

Go drive and see for yourself. You will be quite impressed.
Not to start a brand war here because I think they are all good. I would just like to see what facts the comment on Fords being the least "grounded" and where are the percentages that support the "problems" GMs are having? I drive a Dodge so I have no interest here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just like to see real facts backing up comments like these....Don

Vtxkid

Not to start a brand war here because I think they are all good. I would just like to see what facts the comment on Fords being the least "grounded" and where are the percentages that support the "problems" GMs are having? I drive a Dodge so I have no interest here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just like to see real facts backing up comments like these....Don

I would like to know also...

jnbhobe

I know GM had a problem with the DEF freezing in the tank, but thats the only thing I heard.

mmomega

AnyTimer
If you go to dieselplace.com which is one of the major GM truck forums and go to the '11 discussions you'll find plenty of owners talking about problems. Probably 50% of the posts on the first page are of problems but again, people don't go on to the internet to post and praise things just complain.

also, take this for what it's worth. My uncle that lives in the TN mountains said he hasn't had a problem with his DEF tank last winter. Maybe a lot further North could chime in.

Also, in my very honest opinion. There is no way I would drop any cash on a new vehicle without test driving and comparing everything with the competitors. A test drive is free.

Texasclarks

Hi Texasclarks,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

There are getting to be more and more of the Class 8's in the RV world.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Thank you for the welcome. I really enjoy forums such as the Heartland one. They are always full of advice (good or. Ad it is still advice) and people willing to share. As far as which HD truck is better, one must balance all the + & - and see where we are most comfortable. As machines they all have a mean point of failure that eventually will force one to go back to the dealership for repairs...they are machines after all; even humans require maintenance and visits to see a mechanic (Dr.).

Happy Thanksgiving!

rustyshakelford

ram is buying my truck back. im waiting to hear back on whether or not they will refund me my money or i will have to order a new dodge. currently, the dodge doesnt have the power to pull the cyclone and i am making 11 mpg on the highway unloaded. i am anxiously awaiting a different truck so we can go hunting!

brett

rustyshakelford

Updates Brett?

They will not give me my money back. Instead I'm having to get another dodge. Sent all the paperwork off today to them. I'm getting basically the same truck except 4.10 gears, max tow option and dark gray that will match the trailer.

I'd rather have the ford, but I'll take what I can get right now. The truck in my drive is worthless to uscurrently.

Brett

rustyshakelford

Well, at least your getting a new truck. Trade it in when you get it.

i have considered it. seriously. i think im going to atleast try this truck out before trading it though. im tired of switching trucks every year or two and it gets expensive having a B&W GN and fuel tank installed in them all! part of me wishes i could get a 2013. the fuel mileage on the cummins trucks is terrible compared the the powerstroke and duramax! My old chevy was the best truck i have ever had and wished i kept it, but it would need to be a dually after towing a couple thousand miles with each

brett

TXTiger

I just bought a new 2012 Ford F-350 6.7. I got the 7 yr 100,000 mile warranty and the 6 yr 100,000 mile maintainence contracts included. All repairs and maintainence are included, even oil changes, brakes etc. After reading this thread I hope this extended warranty covers any fuel problems.

mmomega

AnyTimer
the premiumCARE package is supposed to cover everything and it specifically states diesel fuel pump, injectors and lines... but who knows. Mine covers oil changes and "everything" as well but I can't leave my truck at the dealer for 2 days for an oil change. **** they wanted to keep it a full day+ to reflash the computer which takes 10-15 minutes.

FordMan1966

I have been smiling since May 6, 2011 when I picked up my DRW PSD Crew Cab 4X2 at the dealer. I only have 7000 miles on it and can not whip the smile off of my face each time I drive it or tow with it.