Ford PCM upgrade effects regen notice

Peteandsharon

Hi all,

So I got a notice from Ford the other day that there was an upgrade to my PCM available. Supposedly it would modify certain engine monitoring functions. After having it done, my truck went through it's usual exhaust regen process. What I noticed is that I got my usual notice "Cleaning Exhaust Filter". However, the notice went away quickly and went back to the normal display. It then did not give me a notice when the cycle was over. This is a change. Previously the regen notice would display and stay on until the cycle was over. I'm not sure I like this new "feature". If I didn't have an exhaust gas temp guage it would be easy to miss the fact that the engine was in regen.

Has anyone else had this PCM upgrade? Did you notice the same thing?

Thanks,

Pete

Peteandsharon

A little more information. This is recall and reflash 11B23. I did some reading on the diesel forum and it turns out that the exhaust regen notification is a known casualty of this new flash. Seems that the regen notification comes and goes with different software versions.

Rickhansen

Hi Pete,
I have a 2011 GMC. It provides no notifications of the start or finish of regen, or of DEF tank level. I can usually tell it's in regen by the sound, but the lack of notifications is a pet peave for me too.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I have a 2010 F350 and recieved the same letter this past week. I have not brought the truck back to Ford since getting the letter.
Since new, the DIC will only briefly tell you it is going into regen and then back to the regular DIC.
If you miss it, you really have no idea the truck is in regen. No big deal except if I shut the truck off while it is in regen or even just in town in stop and go traffic, the truck will lay down a huge smoke screen on acceleration.

Dealer says it is normal. Well, I doubt it. Every time it goes in for service, I have the service writer write it up on the repair order just to keep a record of it.

PSF513

My 2008 got a recall. At this time, when my truck goes into regen, the entire display is replaced by the notice and stays that way until complete. While occasionally, it may be a pain, I think I prefer to know when it is regen mode. But, Larry, you are right. Mine could pass for a mosquito control vehicle when I accelerate from a stop during regen

truknutt

Committed Member
Just to be clear this is NOT a recall or even a TSB. It is simply a notice of "...a no-charge Customer Satisfation Program - Program Number 11B23". This particular program will be in effect until March 31, 2012, regardless of mileage.

WHY ARE WE PROVIDING THIS SERVICE:
"In order to avoid potentially time consuming and costly service repairs, Ford has developed calibration improvements to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) for your vehicle with improved fault detection capabilities. This will allow the vehicle to quickly detect and react to issues before significant damage occurs. Some examples include water-in-fuel reduced power mode, engine coolant temperature monitoring, over-full engine oil level, and proper circulation within the engine oil cooler."

Peteandsharon

Yeah, those are my feelings exactly. It's nice to know you are in regen when you are getting ready to turn off. My first post above was slightly in error because the very first regen attempt after I got the new flash was on my way home from the dealer. At that time I didn't know it was in regen. I only realized it afterwards because it took longer to cool down the EGT and I could smell the slight burning smell when I did shut down in mid regen. It was really when it later tried the regen again that I noticed that it came on only for 3-4 seconds. You are also correct that you can tell by a difference in engine noise but that is easy to miss if you are not paying close attention. In the past I have found the constant regen message a nuisance when I am trying to read the odometer or whatever. But now that I have seen both situations, I vote for keeping the regen message on the screen. Too bad I don't really get a vote.

porthole

Retired
Don't have the number in front of me, but Ford's newest PCM flash (last week) has already been pulled back

lwmcguir

I have only seen the regen come on the DIC one time. Haven't seen any smoke or different engine sounds at any time so far. Going to watch/listen closer. No notices of any kind as well. Had the F350 since Nov, 2010 and no issues of any kind so far.

porthole

Retired
I have only seen the regen come on the DIC one time. Haven't seen any smoke or different engine sounds at any time so far. Going to watch/listen closer. No notices of any kind as well. Had the F350 since Nov, 2010 and no issues of any kind so far.

The main thing you will notice is your instant fuel mileage. During regen it may drop from 2-4 mpg's

6.7powerstroke

You should never see black smoke out of a DPF equipped vehicle. Completely NOT normal. More than likely you have a cracked DPF. Pipes should be spotless inside. Take it to a different dealer. The whole point of the DPF is to stop black particulate matter.

porthole

Retired
You should never see black smoke out of a DPF equipped vehicle. Completely NOT normal. More than likely you have a cracked DPF. Pipes should be spotless inside. Take it to a different dealer. The whole point of the DPF is to stop black particulate matter.

At least on the new Ford and GM.
I have 3900 miles now and the inside of the tailpipe is still shiny! Whoo hoo - no more scrubbing soot off the front and side of the trailer.