Fridge slow to turn on and intermittent power off

Tweitekamp

My fridges was slow to power up last Thursday night. I had to cycle the power switch 3-4 times and it finally turned on. It shut off on us yesterday but a power cycle brought it back on. I THINK it switched to LP but not 100% sure. Wife said it made a funny noise when it was powered off this afternoon when cleaning out the fridge.

History: this spring I had a new shed put up. The electrician put the hot on the wrong leg I guess. I got shocked somehow. I thought at one time we were running 220 through it but found out it was 110 with the hot on the wrong leg. Got it all fixed and all the sensitive electronics worked...... Or at least I thought. Is the circuit board a relatively easy fix? Are they common parts? It cools down and works fine other than the hiccups seen this weekend. It has been working properly the last few times since the shed was fixed.

Thoughts??

Last edited:

wdk450

I found that replacing the circuit board on my refrigerator was pretty easy. I used a Dinosaur Electronics reverse-engineered circuit board, which the company says is built to higher construction specs than the original. These are available at a substantial discount over list price from RV Cooling Unit Warehouse (http://www.rvcoolingunit.net ) who are very helpful with RV refrigerator advice.
Just be sure to label, or note, or take pictures of all the board connecting wires on the old board before removing it so that you can get the wires back in the right places when you install the new board.

Tweitekamp

I did some digging last night trying to find the model number and didn't have much luck. But I did mess around with the on/off button. It seems very flakey. if you giggle it wrong it will shut off. If you hold your nose just right it will turn on and off fine. Now I don't think it is circuit board just a junky button. I know that turning a fridge on and off isn't a good idea but not sure what kind of good fix there is. I may just put a piece of tape over the button to make sure once it is on it stays on. But I feel a little better about it now.

Thanks!

wdk450

I did some digging last night trying to find the model number and didn't have much luck. But I did mess around with the on/off button. It seems very flakey. if you giggle it wrong it will shut off. If you hold your nose just right it will turn on and off fine. Now I don't think it is circuit board just a junky button. I know that turning a fridge on and off isn't a good idea but not sure what kind of good fix there is. I may just put a piece of tape over the button to make sure once it is on it stays on. But I feel a little better about it now.

Thanks!

Try some Cramolyn DeoxieIt Contact spray on the switch.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Try some Cramolyn DeoxieIt Contact spray on the switch.

I second the use of electrical contact cleaner spray on the switch. I keep a can in the RV and it has saved me a few times (especially the front landing gear switch)