Fried Battery or what?

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
After arriving at our weekend destination I detected an odor of sulfar coming from the generator compartment. Further investigation lead me to an extra warm battery. Our set up has dual batteries from the factory. Checked charging voltage, 14volts, checked battery voltage 12 plus volts. Open caps and found where fluid level was low in all cells. Added distilled water and reconnected battery. One hour later battery was even hotter now so I DC'd the battery and will run off one for now. Any ideas as to cause or should I not look any further than a fried battery cell and replace the battery? By the way it is only 6 months old.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Batteries are normally a dealer install aren't they? Perhaps they put a bad one in. It has happened to others before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jbeletti

Batteries are normally a dealer install aren't they? Perhaps they put a bad one in. It has happened to others before.

On units with hydraulic landing gear, Heartland supplies the battery. That's why Landmark always came with one. Then we added hydraulic landing gear as standard to Bighorn and Cyclone and they started coming with a battery from Heartland too.

Sounds like a bad/shorted cell in the battery - but I'm no expert there. Good on Jim M's part for smelling it and troubleshooting it.