Front electric landing gear question

Bones

I noticed a few things with my landing gear and I want to know if this is normal for the stock landing gear. When I was putting my gear down I noticed that the tubes don't move for at least a few revolutions of the screw and then I noticed one of the tubes seemed to rotate a little bit. I have noticed this same type of screw rotation when retracting the landing gear. The motor will run for a bit before I actually see the tubes move. Is this normal. I have also heard the tubes creek a bit when extending? Thoughts ideas? The tubes also dropped about half an inch or so when I was extending them to unhook the truck. Am I paranoid or is this normal for stock landing gear?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
When we had electric front gear, we had pretty much the same experience. There will be some delay in leg movement due to slack in the gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Not sure what you mean by 'revolutions of the screw.' Don't you have hydraulic landing gear?

Nope on the hydraulic. The screw is what drives the tubes down. It is an ACME thread type or when you get into fancy types of screws they have ball bearings which reduces friction. There are a total of three tubes in our landing gear. One is the drop leg with the holes and holds foot pad and the pin goes through it. The next is the inner tube and the final is the outer tube which mounts to the camper. The screw drives the inner tube up or down. Typically it drives the tube for 18 inches or less.

Bones

When we had electric front gear, we had pretty much the same experience. There will be some delay in leg movement due to slack in the gears.

Thanks. It just seems to be quite a bit of slack before I see movement.

justafordguy

Hey Bones, I've noticed the same thing on ours, I hope it's normal.

One question, is there any way to lubricate the screw/block? I have lubed the gears at the top but can't figure out a way to get to the screw. Anyone have any ideas?

Bones

Hey Bones, I've noticed the same thing on ours, I hope it's normal.

One question, is there any way to lubricate the screw/block? I have lubed the gears at the top but can't figure out a way to get to the screw. Anyone have any ideas?

I have the funny feeling that it is not made to be lubed and to just break

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
When we had our Sundance, I drilled a small hole in the tube (very carefully) and used a spray can of white lithium grease.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bones, not to be a wet blacket, but didn't your dealer just replace the landing gear after they dropped your trailer?? If they did, then you should have a warranty on them.

Bones

Bones, not to be a wet blacket, but didn't your dealer just replace the landing gear after they dropped your trailer?? If they did, then you should have a warranty on them.

Yes and no Yes they dropped the trailer and no it does not appear they replaced the whole assembly but just rebuilt them. I'm trying to find out what is normal for the landing gear to do before I start calling and making phone calls. The landing gear have not broken yet and they still go up and they go down. I already had them tell me the motor wobble on my landing gear was normal even though I knew it was not. and then when they took everything apart and put it back together the motor does not wobble. the question is do I want to drop the trailer off to them and have it sit for a month again only to be told there is nothing wrong with the landing gear. And around and around I go again. I'm tired and want to enjoy my trailer with my family and I'm sick and tired of dealing with all the f ups from the dealer. At this point I have been doing all of the repairs my self. Sorry for the rant.

Bob&Patty

Bones, you are intitled to a rant. So what you are saying is...they only repaired what they saw was bent??? To me that is just wrong....were the outer tubes checked to see if they were bent/twecked?? I know mine move slow, but have never seen them just drop or turn/twist when going up or down and my BH is going on 8 years old now. How can a square tube in a square tube turn/twist when moving. I would take a very close look at the outer tubes and mounts to the frame while someone pushes the switch. Boy I wish your coach was in my driveway for a few days.

justafordguy

When we had our Sundance, I drilled a small hole in the tube (very carefully) and used a spray can of white lithium grease.

I was thinking the same thing, where did you drill the hole?

Hey Bones, Sounds to me like you need to find another dealer. Maybe call Heartland and see who they can recommend. I have had dealer issues in the past and I called Heartland and got the name of some independent RV repair services near me. I have had much better luck with them but, like you I also fix most of my stuff myself.;)

Bones

Bones, you are intitled to a rant. So what you are saying is...they only repaired what they saw was bent??? To me that is just wrong....were the outer tubes checked to see if they were bent/twecked?? I know mine move slow, but have never seen them just drop or turn/twist when going up or down and my BH is going on 8 years old now. How can a square tube in a square tube turn/twist when moving. I would take a very close look at the outer tubes and mounts to the frame while someone pushes the switch. Boy I wish your coach was in my driveway for a few days.

It would appear that way. When I was looking at the second tube I noticed them both drop at least half an inch when I was moving them. They are making some weird noises at times and what really got me looking real hard is when I noticed the second tube which is the tube the screw moves twisted slightly. although is was very minimal but it actually moved in the direction the screw was driving. I thought this was very very odd. Upon further inspection I saw the remnants of the spray foam on the outside of the tube and realized that these were still my old landing gear and it would appear that all they did was take them apart clean them and maybe rebuilt them. I'm speculating here. I'm trying to figure out if it is worth my time and aggravation to call them and complain. Luckily my driveway is long enough for the camper and truck to be parked on while I work on it. I'm sure the neighbors are not too happy with me at times. :cool:

Bones

I was thinking the same thing, where did you drill the hole?

Hey Bones, Sounds to me like you need to find another dealer. Maybe call Heartland and see who they can recommend. I have had dealer issues in the past and I called Heartland and got the name of some independent RV repair services near me. I have had much better luck with them but, like you I also fix most of my stuff myself.;)

I called a dealer who Heartland recommended in my area and they flat out told me they would not work on my coach nor did they want to unless I paid them and then it would be at the bottom of the barrel. I can fix most if not everything on the coach and diagnose issues as well. I want to buy new landing gear possibly the Bulldog style and replace them. boom I'd be done. The wife feels otherwise that the dealership should pay for the landing gear and that would mean dropping the coach off and loosing our camping season, possibly and the time and driving and fuel.

Bob&Patty

IMHO, something is bent and binding as the inner tube is moving. I really would not be a happy camper..(pun intended)...about this. Me thinks a unhappy phone call to the dealer is not out of line. I would demand a whole new landing gear assembly on their dime. It's your call, but they are the ones that dropped your GW.

Bones

IMHO, something is bent and binding as the inner tube is moving. I really would not be a happy camper..(pun intended)...about this. Me thinks a unhappy phone call to the dealer is not out of line. I would demand a whole new landing gear assembly on their dime. It's your call, but they are the ones that dropped your GW.

Good point. I can at least call and ask to have them send me new landing gear. I doubt they will do that though but you never know.

Bones

If someone is near their trailer could they do me a favor and grab your inner landing gear tube and see if it moves up and down freely? I can grab mine and move the tube up and down quite a bit. I didn't measure it.

Bones

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20150528_163754 (4).jpg
    IMG_20150528_163754 (4).jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20150528_163758 (4).jpg
    IMG_20150528_163758 (4).jpg
    805.3 KB · Views: 104

Bones

Is your leg grinding against the cutout in the steel bottom floor of that gen compartment?

Not that I can tell. If it was grinding on that metal it would be the full length of the landing gear and not the section. It goes further up in the leg. I'll snap a picture when I raise the camper higher to hook up.