Fuel additive for thrucks that sits for mouths.

cb1313

I have a 2008 Chevy Duramax 1 ton duelly that sits for months in the good enclosed workshop. It may be driven 1 or 2 times a month for about 15 miles when not towing which is not very offen. One tank of fuel may last me 4-5 mouths. I do add Seafoam sometimes but is there some else I should be using for a truck that sits most of the time ?
Thank you for any responces......... Cb

Last edited:

Speedy

Need some more editing there CB.

Regarding the question in your post I would use something more suited to diesel such as Diesel Kleen. There are others out there that are just as good and I would not hesitate to use but I will say that you should try to keep the tank as full as possible to limit the amount of air in the tank which leads to water in the fuel because of condensation. Not as big a problem in the winter with dryer air but you still need to be careful.

Also monitor your water separator more often because of your increased risk of condensation.

Vtxkid

If it always sits where fuel last you 4-5 months, you should use Seafoam everytime you refuel as it is for diesel motors also. Wouldn't mess with any other additives. Good stuff!!!

scottyb

Keep the tank full so there's no room for condensation and use an additive that has an algaecide.

brianharrison

As mentioned diesel fuel that is stored for a while can harbor growth of algae/fungus/slime, where water, air and microbes (bugs) are present. Microbes are always present in diesel fuels.

A good Biocide additive would be good measure for your truck being stored for long periods of time - BioKlleen is one brand; Ricor is another. I am sure there are others.....

Brian