Fuel additive

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
I can not and will not believe that 1to 4 once of any additive will do much for 25 to 35 gallions of fuel

Rodbuster

I can not and will not believe that 1to 4 once of any additive will do much for 25 to 35 gallions of fuel

I certainly wouldn't want to add 4 ounces of maple syrup to my fuel tank.
My point would be that in my opinion, "whatever" you you add to your fuel tank would have some type of effect. Whether it be fuel additive, maple syrup, water, gasoline to a deisel engine (which has happened), DEF (which has also happened). Just 4 ounces of a couple of these products mentioned might not have an asverse effect, but continued use certainly would not be good.

I'm sure that a one time use of 4 ounces of fuel additative would not show any benefits but I feel that the cumulative effect of using the product is beneficial to your engine.... and if not, well, it lets me sleep better.

dave10a

This is a complicated subject and is worthy to have some real independent evaluation by a testing lab. Saying that I think if you buy fuel mostly from volume dealers like truck stops you will have better chance of fuel that is clean and meets the federal standards which allows for proper injector lube. I buy mostly from pilot/flying J for that reason. I am sure other major distributors offer good fuel as well. I don't use additives of any kind in the oil or fuel because I consider it a waste of money unless you are buying fuel from some small unknown source. Caterpillar is my source of information for oils and greases and I am still trying to determine if Ford is a trusted source of information. So far Ford, GM and Chrysler seem to vague or political in their recommendations because they either omit information or weasel word what they do print. Caterpillar is less politically correct.

scottyb

Chevy does not recommend it in my manual.

Ford had (has) a bad reputation for not honoring warranty over damages caused by "bad fuel". It has been discussed here before, but US diesel is all "bad fuel" as far as the Bosch fuel pumps are concerned, due to it's lubricity index. We use the OEM fuel additive in our company Fords with 6.7's. We buy it 3 cases at a time, as a preventative measure and to eliminate that discussion should one of them have an HPFP failure. I have read reports of unfortunate owners with out of pocket cost above $10K when warranty was denied. A small price to pay for a little added insurance.

Lynn1130

This is an interesting topic and another of those that generate testimonials for "favorites" from those who have been using one brand or another for years. There are those using transmission fluid and I have been told by mechanical engineers who build and service high performance diesel racing engines that two cycle oil cleans and lubes the best.

The fact is that #2 diesel has little to no lubricating properties. #1 diesel does. We can no longer burn #1 diesel. My diesel mechanic swears by Stanadyne. I do not use that, yet, but have used just about everything else at one time or another. There was a study done on the properties in the major diesel additives. Some are very good for your injectors and some is not much good at all. A Web search will bring up that study if your interested.

So, bottom line is, this is another "where you sit is where you stand" much like another thread that was going about certain transmissions and certain brand vehicles. Use an additive if you feel it helps and if you don't don't. Personally, I think the modern diesel needs some added lube considering our modern fuel.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I tried a few with no luck of increasing the mpg. Motor oil, Lucas, standadyne, diesel clean( or something like that), and power service.

caissiel

I use 2 cycle oil by the gallon from wallyworld. If I have bad fuel I pour it on top of the fuel in the tank and after a few miles I realy feel the difference while towing the RV. Been using it for 30 years. Only additive I ever use in both gas and diesels. Use it in my cars that I park over winter and so far no carburator problem.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I use 2 cycle oil by the gallon from wallyworld. If I have bad fuel I pour it on top of the fuel in the tank and after a few miles I realy feel the difference while towing the RV. Been using it for 30 years. Only additive I ever use in both gas and diesels. Use it in my cars that I park over winter and so far no carburator problem.

What ratio?

Lynn1130

The ratio that I was given was 2 or 3 qts to a fill up on a 36 gal tank. I don't think it is an exact science with 2 cycle and that ratio works out to one quart per 12/18 gallons of fuel. The suggestion that I received was that it does not need to be done with every fill but it won't hurt.

For those looking to get better mileage with whatever additive, if you get it great but the main object here is to lube parts that do not get it with diesel #2.

brianharrison

The fact is that #2 diesel has little to no lubricating properties. #1 diesel does. We can no longer burn #1 diesel.

There was a study done on the properties in the major diesel additives. Some are very good for your injectors and some is not much good at all. A Web search will bring up that study if your interested.

Can you please elaborate on the first point - I understand #1 diesel can still be used on highway if produced to ASTM D975 requirements - I have used this 2007 article by Chevron - see page 46

Can you provide a link for the study that you refer to re:additives - I have been unableto locate your referenced study. My info is dated 1984 Moulton, David S. and Sefer, Norman R: “Diesel Fuel Quality and Effects of Fuel Additives,” ISBN 0309035694

Thanks in advance.
Brian

porthole

Retired

The two stroke trick is not recommended for trucks with SCR and DPF. it will cause problems. I used it with my 06 DMax with no issues. Also used the Diesel Kleen products.
With the Ford I use the Motorcraft branded additives and buying by the case comes out cheaper then the stand alone brands.

Lynn1130

View attachment Copy of Diesel fuel additive version 3.pdf

Actually, what I should have said is that #1 is not for use, or should not be used in our climate (AZ). It is fine in the Great White North. I think that there are also some restrictions on the use of #1 in some states and locations because of pollution. In any event #2 Diesel is a "dry fuel". There is little to no lubrication that the old blends of diesel had/have.

kuhn_tech

My dad uses Cetane Boost from Power Services. There are many manufacturers making the same thing(I.E. AMSOil, Lucas etc.) for many different prices. Power Services is what I use on our company delivery truck. I add in 1 dose on each tank when I fill up. Make sure you fill up your DEF tank too.

Dave

drwalker

Hello Everyone,

I'm curious to see how many of you use some type of fuel additive with your diesel. Do you use it at every fill up? I myself use
Stanadyne as it is cheap insurance to ensure you are doing what you can to protect your investment.

David

I use Stanadyne in the summer and Powerservice in the winter. I try to add it at every fill up and especially if I am towing my boat or now my new camper.

Ford 6.0L and above diesels should have some type of fuel and oil additive at every fuel up and oil change or you will be looking at big $$ for repairs..