Fulltime RVer Veterans Considered "Homeless Veterans" by VA

wdk450

Gang:
I have an application in with the California State Department of Veterans Affairs to get residency and care at one of their 7 California Veteran's Homes. I was told the application paperwork was complete and all I had left to do was to have an in-person meeting with the department heads at the home in Chula Vista. That was in August, then the admissions officers were pulled off of their regular duties for a database conversion project that was supposed to take 2 weeks, but with November at our doorstep, the project is incomplete, and all applications are frozen.
I wrote an e-mail to the admissions officers and their superiors last week, and got an e-mail reply from the superior that due to the fact that I live in my RV fulltime in Thousand Trails parks, I need to apply to the Federal VA for a letter stating that I am a "homeless veteran" to add to my state home application package.
I certainly do not feel like I am homeless. Yes, my SS/Calpers Survivor retirement income is below IRS filing minimum, but I live OK, and have previously been able to help support my post heart transplant daughter until she got permanent disability, and have had $1600 a month available to pay down my credit cards. Yet, I am classified as a "homeless veteran".

david-steph2018

The VA doesn't classify me as "homeless", but as a "traveling Vet". Since we travel fulltime, I am a traveling vet. One other classification the VA uses is "Snowbird Vet".
The difference is a snowbird vet goes from home to the same location year after year.

wdk450

The VA doesn't classify me as "homeless", but as a "traveling Vet". Since we travel fulltime, I am a traveling vet. One other classification the VA uses is "Snowbird Vet".
The difference is a snowbird vet goes from home to the same location year after year.
David:
Do you still own/rent a "sticks and bricks" home? Maybe that is the difference in classifications

wdk450

Well. I finally called the local US VA advisor I was referred to, I related my previous years' living situation for about 5 minutes, and she sent this form via e-mail to me before the telephone call was ended. I was a little surprised that she asked for no documentation verifying what I told her. But I now have my documentation listing me as a "homeless veteran".

Attachments

• img20231105_08433182.pdf
    183.7 KB · Views: 12

wdk450

Cal Vet local head admissions officer was the one insisting I get this designation to maybe jump me up in the admissions line to get into the CalVet retirement/convalescent home here in Chula Vista. State of California requires you pay about 1/2 of your retirement income for this, but it really beats the private retirement / convalescent home prices in California.