Fuse Panel Question

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Found out I have no lights in the basement nor do I have lights over the bed. Checked the fuse panel, and sure enough fuse # 11 "bedroom slide" is blown. It does not affect the slide moving in or out, only the lights. Now for the question ... the panel indicator says it should be a 15 amp fuse, however, from the factory it has a 25 amp fuse in the slot. Not sure why the bigger amp fuse, and I'm leary of replacing with a 25 amp, not knowing why there is one (the blown one) in there.

Any thoughts, suggestions??:confused:

Thanks

Keith

danemayer

I'd go with 15. I think most everything in the fuse box is 15a except for 1 or 2 20a circuits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pegmikef

hmmm, one wonders why it was overfused from the factory with almost twice the amperage, and the fuse still blew . . .

jnbhobe

:eek: I would believe that the dealer found the blown fuse and fixed it with a 25 amp replacement at least till it was out the door.:rolleyes:

brianharrison

Is the 12V electric bedroom slide motor on this circuit? The slide on the San Antonio may require the 25amp fuse and the panel may be incorrectly marked? Call HL customer service with your VIN and they will tell you for sure.

Brian

jnbhobe

Is the 12V electric bedroom slide motor on this circuit? The slide on the San Antonio may require the 25amp fuse and the panel may be incorrectly marked? Call HL customer service with your VIN and they will tell you for sure.

Brian

Keith says the slide-out works.

klindgren

Yep, the slide works. Brought it in today to move campgrounds and then brought it back out at the new site. Only thing I've found so far is the lights over the bed and the lights in basement. Certainly nothing that would require a 25 amp fuse. Like I said earlier, I'm hesitant to replace with another 25 when the cover says it should be a 15 (and logic tells me it should only be a 15).

jnbhobe

Keith, Might look under the mattress ( no money there ) Pull the plywood up and see if there are any wires pinched in there. not sure how they route the wires to the slide-out

klindgren

Keith, Might look under the mattress ( no money there ) Pull the plywood up and see if there are any wires pinched in there. not sure how they route the wires to the slide-out

Thanks Jon, I looked but didn't see anything. But more importantly, is why the 25 amp fuse. I could just put a new fuse in the panel, but I really don't want to until I can get some explaination as to why the higher amp fuse than what is called for. I'm really hoping someone from the factory will look at this thread on Monday and give me a plausible answer.

I wonder if the fuse panel is labled correctly. Pull one fuse out at a time and see what does not work. I think if you look in the fuse panel owners manual it will list the correct size of fuse for each application.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Pretty sure the panel is labeled correctly since mine says that should be a 15A fuse and that's what's in it. My panel has an additional15A and 20A fuse that are not labeled, at the bottom. I haven't gotten around to figuring out what they're for, but I'm guessing one is for the electric awning.

View attachment 24129View attachment 24130

danemayer

Thanks Jon, I looked but didn't see anything. But more importantly, is why the 25 amp fuse. I could just put a new fuse in the panel, but I really don't want to until I can get some explaination as to why the higher amp fuse than what is called for. I'm really hoping someone from the factory will look at this thread on Monday and give me a plausible answer.
Hi Klindgren,

The factory doesn't monitor every post to the forum and it's very likely they haven't seen this thread. If you want to ask, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030 and have your VIN # ready.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Keith, you have either a "dead" or an intermittent short in the B+ wire going to those lites. Get a 15 amp "circuit breaker" (looks like a fuse), and install it and run the slide in and out. That way you tell when the "short" in present. Is it when the slide is going out or in the wire is pinched, the lites will go off, and the breaker will trip and you wont let all the smoke out of the wire.

pegmikef

My panel has an additional15A and 20A fuse that are not labeled, at the bottom. I haven't gotten around to figuring out what they're for, but I'm guessing one is for the electric awning.

My North Trail had an unlabeled 15 Amp Fuse and it turned out that it was blank. There was nothing connected to it so I used it to put a 12V plug in the bedroom.

klindgren

Keith, you have either a "dead" or an intermittent short in the B+ wire going to those lites. Get a 15 amp "circuit breaker" (looks like a fuse), and install it and run the slide in and out. That way you tell when the "short" in present. Is it when the slide is going out or in the wire is pinched, the lites will go off, and the breaker will trip and you wont let all the smoke out of the wire.

Thanks Bob. Really appreciate your assistance, only problem is that I'm about as mechanically inclined as a brick wall. Not even sure what a B+ line is. I have an appointment at the dealer on Wednesday for some other "minor" warranty work so I'll just add this to the list and let them figure it out. One thing I will not allow is for them to put a 25 amp fuse back in there unless someone can explain to me why it was there in the first place.

Hi Keith,
I'm wondering what the final outcome of this was. I have that same problem with that same fuse, although it was always just 15A. At first it would just blow fuses now and then.. but now it's just completely shorted somewhere. I guess I have to go back to the dealer (again)...

Pete

wdk450

I know this is an old post, but I thought I would throw out a helpful hint. Auto Zone has 12 volt circuit breakers that fit into a standard two blade 12 volt fuse socket.

danemayer

I know this is an old post, but I thought I would throw out a helpful hint. Auto Zone has 12 volt circuit breakers that fit into a standard two blade 12 volt fuse socket.

Thanks for the pointer Bill. It sounded like a really good idea to have one of these on hand, but I haven't been able to find them. I was asking about them in a hardware store 1/2 block from an Autozone this morning. :)

klindgren

Hi Keith, I'm wondering what the final outcome of this was. I have that same problem with that same fuse, although it was always just 15A. At first it would just blow fuses now and then.. but now it's just completely shorted somewhere. I guess I have to go back to the dealer (again)... Pete
Outcome is still in question. The problem seemed to solve itself in that I've gone a couple of months without any blown fuses. Then, this week I checked and the fuse is blown again. Nothing different. Just blew somewhere on the road. This after packing and traveling about a dozen times since Goshen and had no issues until this week. I really don't have a clue what is going on, but being on the road (almost full-timing this summer) I haven't really had the motivation to get it in to a dealer.
We have some other warranty work to get done so I'm going to add this to the list and I am NOT going to replace the fuse until then. Hopefully an intermitten problem like this will manifest itself while it's in the shop. Otherwise, I'm not sure they can even address it.