G614 vs. Michelin XPS rib

trvlrerik

Due to an unforutunate fence post incident I am currently replacing passsenger side tires on my Cyclone. I am currently running Michelin xps ribs (235/85/16) with stock (80psi) aluminum rims.

I have had conversations with other campers that love the xps but have advised of sun drying, or dry rot problems. I am running g614 GY on my work trailers with good luck but do not have much age on either set.

I am considering switching over to GY on my Cyclone for simplicity but am worried about the air pressure limits of the aluminum rims. Is anybody running the g614 at 80 psi?

Local tire shops have advised that the tires can run at 80 psi but it lowers the max weight to 3040lbs.

I do not want to start another tire war, just interested if anybody has been running the g614 at 80psi, and do they have dry rot problems?

lwmcguir

Due to an unforutunate fence post incident I am currently replacing passsenger side tires on my Cyclone. I am currently running Michelin xps ribs (235/85/16) with stock (80psi) aluminum rims.

I have had conversations with other campers that love the xps but have advised of sun drying, or dry rot problems. I am running g614 GY on my work trailers with good luck but do not have much age on either set.

I am considering switching over to GY on my Cyclone for simplicity but am worried about the air pressure limits of the aluminum rims. Is anybody running the g614 at 80 psi?

Local tire shops have advised that the tires can run at 80 psi but it lowers the max weight to 3040lbs.

I do not want to start another tire war, just interested if anybody has been running the g614 at 80psi, and do they have dry rot problems?

Our oldest G614' are about 6 years currently. They are on stock trailers that get overloaded from time to time. The set outside 100% and dont show any degradation to speak of. Starting to wear some of them down quite a bit. Great tire in my opinion. On the small trailes where they only carry about 3K we do run them at 80 but all others at 110. Havent blown one yet. Good luck

traveler44

Our rims have the psi rating stamped on the back-- I checked them before upgradeing to the GYs. We have an 09 Bighorn but I would think the Cyclone would have the rating on the rim too. Tom M.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I agree with Traveler44. If you take one of the tires off, look on the back of the rims. Mine have 3750 marked on the rim. Some may have 110psi. This is what the rims are rated at. Also at the Goshen Rally in 09 the tire guy told us that the rims that have the 7 spokes were rated for 110psi.

Similar to this...
Aluminum RimsM.jpg

BC

aatauses

I currently run Michelins on my tow vehicle (3500 chev) and have had no issues with sun drying or dry rot--they have been on the truck for about 2 years. I still have my original tires on our BH---Freestar.
al

lwmcguir

We have had about every tire made dry rot when sitting in the sun all the time. Only the Goodyear, G's and H's seem to last a lot longer in the elements.

Wharton

The rule of thumb we use is to replace our tires, both truck and trailer, every 6 years. We don't want to have a blowout and the ensuing problems that can occur with that. Tires on tow vehicles and trailers rarely look worn at 6 years nor can you see the dry rot. It is there.......... Our philosophy is better be safe.

Rims are generally stamped with psi, have a tire pulled and check it out. We generally run our G614 at 100psi for a BH 3670. Since we switched to the LT tires we have never had a failure, that was about 15 years ago. We now have a TPMS system also. We sure check our tire pressures more often thw the system, makes it so much easier.