General questions about tires and differential gear ratios.

larkinstuart

Do any of you folks have preferences on trailer tires as manufacturer, based on experience etc. We're getting ready to buy new ones and would like to know what's prevalent out there. Also, this next one is about the tow rig. We have a 2005 Dodge one tone dually. I believe the differential gear ratio is 3.93 but cannot find any markings on the casing. We seem to get about 13 mpg regardless if we are towing or not. Curious what others are running.

fljlcw

Ibelieve Dodge uses A 3:73 and A 4:11 ratio as far as tires if your looking for G rated tires most people here use Goodyear G614 Fred

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
You may like the "search" feature on this forum. Can you give more details of your RV?..and if cost is not a issue. What do you tow and what weight.

lwmcguir

Our F350 has a 3:55 with 20 tires/wheels. Mileage is 13-17 but drops in wind and hills. We had a 3:73 in the F250 which worked well. Go with any good reputation brand all steel tire with 20-25% extra capacity over your weight loading.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Larry, Do you still have a Bighorn 3055RL? Most are using Goodyear G614's as replacements. As for the truck, I prefer stock sizes because we use our truck mainly for towing and transportation when we're not. If you move up to a "taller" tire, you may suffer performance issues while towing by making the engine work harder.

lwmcguir

Larry, Do you still have a Bighorn 3055RL? Most are using Goodyear G614's as replacements. As for the truck, I prefer stock sizes because we use our truck mainly for towing and transportation when we're not. If you move up to a "taller" tire, you may suffer performance issues while towing by making the engine work harder.

As Ray points out, never increase tire diameter on a truck. You will loose mileage and performance both.

larkinstuart

Thanks Ray, we'll still have the 3055 for some time yer. I'll check out the G614. Still running the original Goodyear Wrangler tires on the Dodge but thinking about switching to Michelin's. Have 21K miles on the Goodyear and getting cracks on the sidewalls. Will stay with the same size in any event.