Generator conversion to propane

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We don't use the generator often but I don't want to give it up altogether. I'm seeing conversion kits for less than $300 and am wondering if anyone here has made the swap and what your experience has been.
I'm aware that gallon for gallon propane fuel consumption will be higher. The convenience factor I'm seeing is there won't be any concerns about using Stabil or purging fuel lines for storage or lengthy periods between oil changes.
What am I not thinking about?

hoefler

I intentionally installed a gas unit in our coach. I have a portable boat tank I use with it, not a big deal with keeping fresh fuel. I also have a 24-gallon tank I mount in the bed of the truck that gets used when we plan on dry camping at the races for extended run times. Otherwise, I just haul the little tank for unplanned stops or emergencies.

NWILSON

avvidclif, thank you for that info! I'm going to give them a call on Monday with a few questions about operation.
In addition to the plumbing and regulator installation I'm assuming the gas line will need a shutoff valve and a switch added to the fuel pump?

NWILSON

I bought the Motor Snorkel kit and was going to install it today but......Turns out my Cummins/Onan 5500 genset has an automatic choke which would have to be removed or disabled for use with propane. That snag defeats the purpose of the "Tri-fuel" conversion.

After confirming my discovery with their technician they agreed to send a shipping label to cover the cost of return shipping.

I thought this was such a good idea too. Oh well...he says they are trying to come up with a work-around but until then I'm buying gas and Stabil.

rxbristol

LOVE my propane generator. I've had both and give me a propane generator, for RV use, any day. It's cleaner, less smell, less worry about carburetor problems, and it starts easier. I carry two extra propane cylinders and I can go two days at full load. Nice thing about propane--don't have to be concerned about stagnate/old fuel.

alwaysbusy

I'll second Rex & Karen. Owned a Onan propane generator from 2007 to 2015. Gen was installed new by RV manufacturer when we ordered the coach new. Never had a problem with it; however, our new coach we ordered with a gasoline one.

Kenneths

LOVE my propane generator. I've had both and give me a propane generator, for RV use, any day. It's cleaner, less smell, less worry about carburetor problems, and it starts easier. I carry two extra propane cylinders and I can go two days at full load. Nice thing about propane--don't have to be concerned about stagnate/old fuel.

I have been curious about the fuel usage of these also. You mention you can go 2 days at full load, i assume that is with the 2 extra cylinders, are they the same size as the factory Landmarks or the smaller 7 gallon ones?

rxbristol

I have been curious about the fuel usage of these also. You mention you can go 2 days at full load, i assume that is with the 2 extra cylinders, are they the same size as the factory Landmarks or the smaller 7 gallon ones?

I do carry two extra 9 gallon cylinders.