Generator - which to buy?

skozub01

Just got our first RV (Heartland 2850 BH) and looking at generator options. We've only got one AC unit.

Have talked to folks and researched enough to have decided we'll go with a Honda but I'm torn between the EU3000is vs the EU7000is vs 2 EU2000is model. I know weight and lugging the 7000 around is a possible pain.

Any advice? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have two 2K Kipors (Honda knockoffs) and like the ease of moving them around. But you have to deal with an extra gas tank to keep both running for a sustained time under load. They do every thing I need. Another upside is that if you do not require AC usage then you could get by with using only one. I used to carry them on a rack mounted on the back of our Bighorn but that space was wound up carrying my pellet grill so now they reside in the bed of my truck.
So, after all that, if I had to do it over again I would get the Honda 3K with electric start.
JMO.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
EU3000is vs the EU7000is vs 2 EU2000is model

Weight
cost
convenience

For one AC unit the 7000 is overkill, big and heavy. But it is fuel injected.
One 3000 will work fine, and is quieter then the 2000 under load

One 2000 may run your AC (depending on the size) but they get noisy when running close to max load.
.9 gallon fuel tank means frequent refills, unless you do one of the external marine fuel tank hookups, then you are dealing with that.

Overall I would go for the 3000, quiet and the fuel tank will allow 15-20 hours of run time.

If I had the room and two AC's I would opt for the 7000

- - - Updated - - -

Have you looked at weights?

2000 approximately 60 pounds each
3000 140
7000 250

schew

I think the most economical option would be is to purchase two Honda 2000k gensets with a parallel cable. This will get you 4k watts of power for about $2k, less if you buy them on sale or used. The compressor on a 13.k air conditioner will tax a 2k genset, especially during startup, and probably will not run a 15k air conditioner. On my former toyhauler, I had 2, 2k honda gennies with the parallel cable and iirc, it could run the AC as well as the microwave at the same time. The weight of the 2k gensets are more manageable, more powerful than a single 3k genset.

This setup served us well until I upgraded to a Torque TQ 31, which came with a Onan 5.5 genset.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We have the two Honda 2K with the parallel cable set up. When we go to Nascar races both will run the 15K AC. Granted they are at full RPM but we only need to give them a drink about every 5-6 hours. We have also lost power at a few parks we have been at where we didn't need the AC and one running from time to time sufficed. You do need one running to get the coffee pot going etc. If you go this route make sure to get a plug for them so that your EMS will still work if you have one.

Gaffer

The 3000 is a bit much for one person to move around. Been there done that. Did enjoy the electric start though. I have two of the 2k Hondas and a parallel kit. Easy for one person the handle.

esscobra

determine how and how much your going to use it- and how you plan to carry/move it.
do you want to run the microwave w/o shutting off the a/c while cooking - or do you want to have electric heaters etc?

are you going to put on rack on back of trailer or move in/out of truck?

do want ability t use for home backup power as well?

for a single 3k look at Yamaha 3000seb - has wheels, easier to grab/load than Honda , has inverter 500 watt booster to help start a/c -big loads- every bit as quiet/reliable have/had both

still have Yamaha in car trailer with 1 a/c -

for rv I would get another 7k Honda- only got rid of mine was that person who bought my 32ft travel trailer bought it and I bought 7k efi onan for my new bighorn-

I built a tilting carrier for back of trailer that I could push/pull it up onto by myself - or with another person just lift onto rack-

it ran a 15 and 13.5 a/c along wit tv, sat fridge , microwave with no issues in 100 texas heat in june in middle of racetrack-

I frequent lot of racetracks and put close to 250 hrs on my onan in under a year- when going to nascar an other 4-5 day trips I also take a Honda 3000 handi unit I can put into truck or basement of rv easily by myself and it runs res fridge, converter and 1 a/c no issues- so its my emergency spare incase onan has issues I cant fix last nov at nascar race we used it 90% of time as it was cool and didn't need run a/c

I have had/used Honda 7k , 3000is, Yamaha 4500
I currently have 3000handi ( no electric start, and Yamaha 3000seboost ) runs a/c lights , battery charge etc in enclosed race car trailer.

I will gladly answer any questions you have